"One For J.J.!" Ultimate Spidey Strategy Thread

You’re too vulnerable. Let’s say you spider sting me and I pushblock. All I did was move you and you’re webbing backwards giving me space. Remember you have to latch onto something before you can cancel into web swing. By then I’m already out. Now if you want to be tricky though you can corner an opponent. Cancel some move into zip up forwards and from there you can IOH web swing, IOH :l::m::s:, and of course after either of those you still have all the followups that can make those worse. Especially the IOH :l::m::s: option.

Lol, I didn’t mean to say that we would be using Spider Sting during the blockstring; it was to avoid that scenario, and that’s far more unsafe, lol. I’m talking about Web Zipping straight up because it’s still relatively fast anywhere on screen, and doesn’t rely you to be near the corner. If you’re full screen and Web Zip back after you cancel Web Ball, you can’t air dash forward because you’re facing the opposite direction. On some areas of the screen, it’s faster to web zip straight up instead of up forward because there are times when you have your back to the wall. ;O

Having some trouble hit-confirming webzip approaches. If the person is in the air and my webzip or :h: catches them, I can’t spot it in time to react so I go for crouching magic which wiffs since they’re mid-air. To remedy this, I’ve been debating on doing s.:h: after webzip instead of crouching magic, like I usually do, since that usually hits and I can go for a combo after, but it doesn’t sound too safe.

If you’re going for a webzip xx j.:h: or j:s: and they pop in the air, what do you normally do? Come to think of it, I can’t say I’ve seen too many conversions with Spiderman from the opponent being midair…

He has conversions using s:m: I’m actually in the process of making a video with throw followups and random hit conversions. Hopefully I’m done with that before the end of the weekend.

Took this from the combo thread but it belongs here

I wouldnt say all that. His runaway is good but it’s not perfect. It is matchup dependent really. You can’t runaway all day against Storm or Mags. They’ll punish you with Fair/Foul Wind and Gravitation shenanigans. Wesker still has stupid teleport shenanigans, Dormammu, well is Dormammu :lol: Honestly I think his biggest strength comes from what he will be doing in pushblock situations. So long as you have a good assist, and your execution is on point it will only really take one hit dependent on your team setup. For example, I can do one of my ‘basic’ combos, which all hit in the 650-690K and end it with :l: spider sting/bite :l: web throw and dash over to where they land and use 2 meters THC’ing with Storm/Spidey. To make it worse I can still combo after the CA with another spider sting to just put them in a hard knock down state for me to stay on the advantage.

In short I think he is still mid to upper mid tier at the moment.

Is there a list of people that can escape his new UWT setups? I remember before people could get out by mashing and other stuff.

To my knowledge, his current UWT “resets” are more like mixups since escaping is moreso dependant on the opponent than the character. I don’t think I’ve seen a UWT reset for Ultimate that works as good or better than the one in Vanilla. Xero’s comes close and I’m testing one right now, but they’re trickier and require more execution. Perhaps someone else knows of something.

Never knew that Spider Sting got extra invincibility frames when used in a cross-over counter. Do you think this could increase the viability of the assist?
[media=youtube]M-Zi8t_yfU0[/media]

I tested the possibility of doing a Spider Sting afterwards which would REALLY make it optimum when dealing with pressure, but unfortunately it doesn’t work unless I’m not doing it right (kind of hard to do this in training mode by myself). What do you people think? So for, in my opinion, his assists are chosen on a whim anyway so why not give one an actual purpose? :rolleyes:

i really need to start using my uwt reset more.

They all have there purpose. It’s kinda useless to have him set to an assist that will only be used to burn meter

Zro was here…

How so? I’d say burning meter is an even exchange to possibly losing a match.

You are giving up a complete slot to cross counter and that’s it. You don’t even get to follow up with it. Web swing on the other hand allows you to cross counter in certain situations, it’s not as invincible as spider sting, but you still get your air normals after the swing which then lead into something as opposed to nothing. Using Spider Sting you waste a bar to reset the momentum but also lose an assist momentarily since youre not going to call out whoever you had because they were already dying. You have another assist but you don’t really want to run the risk of them getting punished as well. Lastly like I said you lose Spidermans assist to the team. The most you’ll get is a MS or CA if your timing is exact but other than that the only things you can do is X Factor or web zip cancel and even then that’s screen dependent

All very true. What uses do you see for Spider Sting as an assist?

Is it not possible to cancel a cross countered Spider Sting into Web Zip?

yes

You can cancel it into web zip I said that earlier but why waste a meter to do a move solely to counter and then zip losing more momentum since they are now in air techable state. Outside of cross countering the assist is horrendous. They chose his :h: version over his :l: version and has no invincibility, it doesn’t have the ground bounce added to it, and Spidey is hella vulnerable after he’s performed the move. Even when countered in you can do a super right away, thus wasting two bars or web zip cancel, but that is still screen dependent. Overall even with the invincibility it is just a really bad assist.

Web swing is definitely the best of the three. In the situations you do cross counter into web swing you can actually follow up with it and rebuild your meter. Plus with proper points you can use this assist as a zoning tactic.

I’m still torn between web ball and swing. I guess since they can tech now swing has way more weight on its side.

I’ve been using Spider Sting as Spidey’s assist since vanilla. His other assists are so mediocre that you might as well add the Crossover trick to your arsenal, even if you only use it once every hundred games.

It can be cancelled into Web Zip, but that’s kind of inefficient. The best counter is to cancel it into Maximum Spider, which actually combos (easily). Granted, that’s two meters “wasted”, but there’s really nothing more satisfying that seeing a Maximum Wesker instantly get turned into a Maximum Spider.

i just like web swing because it is cool rarely actually gets beaten in practice because it is different from a lot of assists, and on hit can usually confirm into a combo

I love Web Swing because it’s like a 1-hit Ryu tatsu assist. SOOOOOO GOOOOOD

Oh and it extends my Iron Man combos when I OTG with :l: Smart Bomb and then do :l: Repulsor Blast~:h:, :h: Smart Bomb OTG xx Iron Avenger or Proton Cannon.