Oil Slide Properties?

Hey there everyone. I’m new to the site so I’d like to try and make a contribution. I hope this thread hasn’t been posted yet, but knowing me I just missed it as part of a larger thread. Anywho, I was wondering if anyone has explored the properties of the oil slide thoroughly and if they can give a clear definition of what ALL they can do and how they differ. So far from what I’ve explored in 2012 here’s what I know about them.

(these are common knowledge properties but I wanted to list them to be thorough)
-All punish lost tripguard
-Hitbox is short enough for effectively punishing high pokes (one huge example is Sagat’s pokes and Bison’s mk and hk pokes.
-ranged slides may be used for safe poking (meaty)
-oil changes ranges
-heavy punch oil slide will cross under without a followup, which leads to a great mix up when used near the corner with Hakan facing the corner. Midscreen it also allows for a decent wake up game.

Now here is when I begin to question what I’m seeing and how it could be applied-
-Hakan’s oiled up EX slide has a variety of properties based on what you choose to do with it:
+If you mash the oil up followup, he will only travel half screen
+If you mash the body splash followup, he will go full screen, but you are NOT allowed to FADC the frames it makes contact on (tested with dummy on all block and Hakan in opposite corners)
+If you don’t mash either followup, he will go just shy of full screen, yet you ARE allowed to FADC the frames it makes contact on (given you move forward slightly as from full screen it will wiff on medium sized characters like shotos); also, his body will awkwardly slide in a standing position pushing the opponent and you further forward causing some interesting situations.
+His speed is also altered based on which of these options you choose

And to top it off, using the EX slide dry works in the same way except all distances are about halved (need to recheck this).
His other slides, though their distances are not affected, their speed however is, when you choose to mash or not mash. I’ve accidentally caused a number of strange interactions thanks to my sloppy inputs and the direct effects causing my opponent to wiff their counterattack or not be hit at all when it normally would have ticked for a meaty slide.

These minute differences seem to be redundant at first glance, but with over 24 different slides, I feel it could really mean the difference between victory and defeat, especially in high level play (24 slides- 4 versions, 3 followup choices, dry and oiled). The applications I’ve been able to envision so far and have occasionally stumbled upon-

-oiled or dry after learning how your opponent handles meaty slides: if they normally counter them before they can even hit such as with a cr. lk or dp, delay the slide to punish their counters

-oiled up after U1 or U2 you can use a meaty slide on your opponent: using the kick followup wiffs the slide just inside of Ryu’s cr. mk range and then OS throw (spin the stick 360 ending with it pointing back, walk backward and react accordingly)

I apologize if I am explaining this poorly, but this is what I’ve come up with so far and wonder if anyone else has messed around with this technology and also if someone can correct me if I’m wrong about some of these. Thanks fellow oil men! IKUZE!

Surprised no one has replied to this, looks like you’ve taken your time to analyse each of the different slides, so well done.

Honestly I don’t like using slides on their own outside of punishing fireballs (EX) or LP slide as an anti air. There is some advanced things to do like EX short slides under fireballs and then into command grab/ultra, especially if the opponent is baiting you.

I’m sure there is a space for safe slides from neutral situations but I think it would be pretty difficult, I might get back to you on that

Thanks, I’m glad you took the time to reply. I have done a lot of lab with Hakan and have been looking forward to discussing it with the rest of the community soon.

I have actually used the EX slide into command grab. A majority of the time they DP or jump on reaction which has made me more cautious about using it. I found a better option for their attempting to bait you into jumping over the fireball is to just take the bait and stuff their counter with an early fj. mk. It stuffs bait attempts of most characters with fireballs; Guile is questionable. I think it works because it comes out early in the jump and it manipulates the hitbox in such a way where his tail end avoids trading with the fireball so you get the full combo. I’m getting off topic, haha.

As for neutral positioning for safe slides, the most obvious one is the match start, which causes most players to react to the slide immediately. The hp slide is often safe from 3/4ths screen distance, but really unsafe unless you’re confident in your read.

I actually find many uses for out of combo slides though. Not so much back in Super or AE, but in 2012 I have been using it quite frequently. It’s great for mobility and cross unders (can setup a meaty grab as they land). It’s a fairly fast, full screen, low poke so I treat it as such when the situation favors it. His EX version is notable for being the superior choice, but his other versions can be used for other things. If it’s early in the match, I sometimes trade a fireball with a slide when I can eyeball the distance is right. It causes knockdown and puts Hakan on the offensive.

Slides are also good for punishing dash recovery. It’s easy to get the opponent caught up in the momentum of the match, especially when Hakan is oiled up and running away. Then you throw in a slide and punish their dash recovery as they chase after you. You can’t really get away with this often, but it does work. It’s a really gutsy read I know, but I’m still surprised how often it work, particularly on Ibuki and Fei Long players. Neutral slides also work to keep Balrog from throwing out random neutral dash punches.

These are just fundamental examples and you must be really careful to not get predictable with the slide. That aside, it’s such a simple input that you could probably punish on reaction after recognizing animations.