OG Kof2002 - Character writeups(Strats, matchups, combos, everything)

May Lee vs Iori

Maybe I should watch some Hammer vids…

Iirc, don’t get knocked down. May has a limited wakeup game.

Ideally, you should have the mode switch thing down pat so you can keep applying pressure.

Emil,

I know you’re not a huge fan of Ralf; he’s got more Dragon Punches than he knows what to do with, but would it be preferable to play a game of guard crush with him? I’ve been giving him a serious look, concerning exactly how quickly he can blast through guard, but does he have what it takes to string together endless blockstrings? If so, would it be worth the effort?

( In particular, I’m curious about specific matches concerning Ralf against folks with decent poking games; mostly Billy, but Benimaru, Whip, and the rest of them are fair game. )

Actually I’ve been using Ralf a lot recently…Oogosho is pretty inspiring.

[media=youtube]4ekFp3n9E5M[/media]

Guard crushing itself isn’t of much value for ralf. The reason is that there isn’t much time to follow up with a guard crush (this isn’t SFA3 or BlazBlue) so it’s really only valuable for characters that have long cancel strings (which Ralf doesn’t have, his pressure is mainly singular attacks).

However, his attacks do cause a lot of guard crush but that’s not really their main purpose. Stand CD is probably his best normal, the priority is extremely good and the strange hitbox actually allows a lot of reversals to either completely miss it or get beat. The stand CD has fairly long startup but very good recovery, so you can add in some additional attacks after they block a stand CD, such as a crouch jab or far D or sweep.

His jump CD is also very high priority, mainly for air to ground pressure, and can beat many reversals including things like Kim’s flash kick. Any videos with Oogosho should give you a good idea of what to be doing with Ralf.

This weekend I think I should have the Kim writeup finished I think.

I have problems Vs Kim (i use Angel, Ramon, Whip, Vice)… any tips ? :smiley:

Emil, I’m curious as to who you think the worst characters in this game are?

I’m thinking Ralf, Mature, Seth, and maybe Daimon/Chin.

Definitely not Daimon, especially if you get down the unblockable setups. I might as well post my list of unblockables that I have verified here:

Iori/Leona:
hcb f+P, CD, dp+A
hcb f+P, qcf+K, CD -> dp+A
f+C(throw), hcfx2+K, dp+A

Mature:
hcb f+P, super jump attack(when going up), dp+A
hcbx2+P, dp+A

Kim/Ryo/Mary/Mai/K9999:
hcb f+P, super jump attack(as coming down), dp+A

Benimaru:
hcb f+P, qcb+B, CD -> dp+A
(already in maxmode) hcb f+P, dp+K, HSDM
hcf+P, qcf+K, dp+A
(already in maxmode) hcfx2+BD hcf+K dp+K, qcf+K, dp+A

Whip/Angel/Joe:
hcb f+P, dp+K, dp+A

Robert:
hcb f+P, dp+K, dp+A
(already in maxmode) qcf+K, HSDM

Athena:
(already in maxmode) hcf+P, HSDM

Maxima:
hcb f+P, hcb f+P, CD -> dp+A
hcb f+P, hcfx2+K, hcfx2+K, dp+A(useless, just use above)
hcf+P, qcb+B, dp+A
hcf+P, roll, dp+A(use the qcb+B one though, easier and builds meter)
(already in maxmode) hcfx2+BD hcf+K dp+K, qcb+B(or roll), dp+A
qcf+K, BC, dp+A

Chin:
hcf+P, hcfx2+K, dp+A
(already in maxmode) hcbx2+AC, dp+A
(already in maxmode) hcfx2+BD hcf+K dp+K, hcfx2+K, dp+A

Clark/Kensou/May Lee/Vanessa:
hcb f+P, jump attack(as coming down), dp+A
hcb f+P, hcfx2+K, CD -> dp+A(useless, use the one above)

Kyo/Kusanagi/Vice/Daimon/Choi/Seth/Chang:
hcb f+P, jump attack(when going up), dp+A

Terry
hcb f+P, qcb+D, dp+A
dp+K, CD -> dp+A

Yashiro:
hcb f+P, qcb+D, dp+A

Chris:
hcf+P, hcfx2+K, dp+A
(already in max) hcfx2+BD hcf+K dp+K, hcfx2+K, dp+A

Andy:
dp+K, CD -> dp+A
(already in maxmode) hcb f+P, dp+C, HSDM

Ramon:
hcf+P, qcf+K, dp+A
(already in maxmode) dp+K, HSDM
(already in maxmode) hcfx2+BD hcf+K dp+K, qcf+K, dp+A

Kula/Yamazaki:
hcb f+P, hcb f+P, dp+A
hcf+P, CD -> dp+A
(already in maxmode) hcfx2+BD hcf+K dp+K, CD -> dp+A

K’/Takuma:
hcb f+P, backdash, CD -> dp+A
hcb f+P, BC, HSDM
hcb f+K, dp+A

Shermie/Billy:
f+C(throw), qcf+K, dp+A
hcf+P, BC, dp+A
(already in maxmode) hcb f+P, hcb f+P, HSDM
(already in max) hcfx2+BD hcf+K dp+K, BC, dp+A

I don’t think it’s Vice either, though I agree on Chin and Mature. I think K9999 is “bad” in this game but only because his combos are really hard to do and it is impractical(though possible) to use his DMs on reaction. If his DM was changed to say, qcfx2, he’d be rediculously good.

I’ll reply to the rest in a bit…

What kind of problems? You got to be more specific…

About Whip in particular, her hop C crossup pressure is very effective on him. The problem is when Whip gets cornered with no stock, Kim can pressure her repeatedly with close C, qcb+C, uf+K, d+K strings followed by another close C into the same string, and the only reversal she has here (hcf+P) actually gets beaten by close C.

Angel…well, her crouch B’s go under Kim’s B flash kick. What kind of trouble do you have?

Okay just got done doing some matches on 2DF, ya got anything for May Lee vs Kim?..

i have problems with jump A punch x_X!! it beats everything… and when i’m backturned? (after a C throw) in the corner 8( i don’t know what is the best thing i can do there… also… what is the best way to block (low/high) the close C, qcb+C, uf+K, d+K to get far away from kim? :smiley: thanks

Let’s assume that you are in the left corner. When your back is turned in the corner and Kim jumps in with A, you generally have to block by moving the stick opposite the corner and not towards the corner (so, in this example you have to block by holding the stick to the right). If you want to do a reversal, you have to input it the opposite way (as if you were the player standing on the right) but the problem is that not many characters have reversals that will work. The reason is that the reversal will come out facing the left corner when Kim will usually land to the right of you (even though you have to block as if he was landing to the left of you).

the qcb+C, uf+K, d+K chains should be blocked high. You can get away with cd counters and guard rolls. You can try backdashing or rolling backwards after blocking the last hit as well but that isn’t completely safe if they predict you will do that.

It’s really hard to block in that situation because Kim only has to vary his timing on j.A a tiny bit to change the direction you need to block in. If he hits you at around head/shoulder height, you will need to block AWAY from the corner (just for the jumpin, you switch to regular block again for ground attacks), but if he is going to hit you at waist height or lower, you just need to block the regular way. Due to the input direction changing as he jumps over you, reversals are going to be hard to pull off. Basically you don’t ever want to be put into this situation 'cause it sucks to get out of. A lot of other characters can set up a similar situation with backturned in the corner, although you will need to experiment with what normals will work.

Yeah pretty much. Vice has some really nasty setups using her jump A and jump B, and all she has to do to get your back turned is one hcb f+P grab which is not hard for her to land (and is also much less risky than other command grabs since she recovers almost instantly).

This video here demonstrates how you can vary the timing of your jumpins to change how the opponent has to block:

[media=youtube]EPnddQDEazc[/media]

rolling back seems very unsave to me,

anyway I think I’ll retire from ggpo for a bit to improve my execution and overall play with other characters. I feel that is what I’m lacking right now. lately I have encountered people that I consider to be lower on mind games and overall play but I still lose just 'cause they can combo and I don’t so they take more advantage of their chances than I of mine.

Guard rolling cannot get you punished, it’s not the same as a normal roll. Guard rolling backwards is THE counter to those kick chains, but if they end the chains prematurely and you guard rolled, you should block after you roll or you will likely get hit.

mm, I get it, guard roll, I though it was just a simple rollback. I’ll need stocks to do that

anyway I’m not playing for a while I need practice my execution first

Any info on Benimaru against:
Yashiro (both) - Can’t get past his superior poking.
Athena - Would like to know how to approach her, I’ve been told far B and max range sweeps is what I’ll be doing for a while in this matchup, but that obviously won’t get me far.

Also who would you consider better as an anchor, Iori or O.Chris?

In KOF 2002? O.Chris is hardly seen at all. Iori is quite popular. Go with Iori.

Benimaru’s got his share of good pokes as well (far B, far C, far D) and they are more damaging than Yashiro’s good pokes (generally far B).

This one actually isn’t so bad for Benimaru…just learn how to hyper hop her projectiles (as opposed to normal/superjumping them). It makes her projectile game not much of a threat.

do you know the conditions to face o.iori in the ps2 and xbox version(at stage 6)?