Official Samurai Shodown II Thread

Her slide is safe on block only from certain distances. Cham’s mixup is good, but i think she dies fast to characters like ukyo, genjuro and hoah. Ukyo can punish her after the slide and when she tries to chip with the fireball after a knockdown and hao/genjuro can just AB slash her after blocking the scratch. And since they dizzy pretty fast it’ll make her think twice about doing it. Just don’t give her a chance to touch the floor or you’ll get thrown or swept with the slide.

i think sieger prob one of the worst in the game mostly because of his speed and when he whiffs it takes him a while to recover. His saving grace is his command grab and if he can land a crossup into his bnb which does about 50%.

first of all, gen an and nicotine don’t have true infinites. if you keep on pressing all buttons and gen or nico do the same, then the opponent will ALWAYS be the one to wake up first.

also about tiers, god tier would be mizuki and kuroko. though only kuroko is choosable through a cheat.

s-class. ukyo.

a class. charlotte, hanzou, jubei, haoh, galford.

the rest is b class.

nico and nako as the worst.

strike i just checked out your ranking. thats a pretty effective ranking. im impressed. you got the shit pretty damn right. this was my most played game back in 94/95. 5 hours or more a day weren’t something special back then. though i doubt id be as good as i was back then. some training is always useful. then again, who would i play against nowadays. scene is pretty much dead. and i don’t go on vacation that often to play at arcades in foreign countries.

Why do people rank Gen-An so low when he’s 2nd on the Japanese tier list that was posted?

http://www2q.biglobe.ne.jp/~tuc/samusupi/dg.htm

Then again, it’s from 1999 so it might be outdated.

no man, gen an is a fucking beast. just not as much as the nins, ukyo and charlotte.

I still think my initial ranking:
Top: Ukyo
Middle: everyone else
Bottom: Nicotine, Nakoruru

…is probably the best. It’s really hard to distinguish between A-C class characters, because a lot of them have counter matches with each other. People’s opinions will always differ ranking anyone not Ukyo or Nakoruru.

For instance, a lot of people rank Charlotte high because on paper, she does very well. Very high priority pokes/kicks, great anti-air game. But in a real match, I could be playing her very well, get a Haoh, Genjuro, or Kyoshiro down to eat 5 AB slashes a round, they get raged… they get one raged AB into dizzy, and a full life Charlotte goes down. Her comeback factor is low, and that might be a valid reason for someone to rank her B instead of A.

Other people might not think so highly of the Genjuro’s high risk-high reward playing style and comeback factor and would rate him lower. Valid too.

On Cham Cham, her slide at max range can’t be punished. If Ukyo can’t cr.B to punish it after it’s blocked, I call that safe. Obviously if she does the slide at point blank range or too close, she’ll be vulnerable. But if you hit with just the tip of her extended foot, she’ll always recover in time. Genjuro and Haoh can AB her blocked C Jumping Slash, which is why she loses bad to them. Ukyo’s cr.AB is slow enough that she’ll be able to block in time and counter slide leading to her mixup if she did the Jumping Scratch at the max distance. Her boomerangs go through his Swallow Swipes and can get him out of the air. Her boomerang throws (horizontal + verical), plus her Jumping Scratch takes his entire Swallow Swipe game out. Slide beats out After Image too, so as long as Cham can effectively distance her slides, she weakens Ukyo’s dominating ground game too. Her disadvantage (vs. everyone) is that she dizzies fast, dies in fewer hits, and does less damage overall than others because she’s a girl (all SS2 girl characters have these traits). But compared to how bad the rest of the cast faces vs. Ukyo, I think Cham does remarkedly well.

Sieger’s mostly chipping with Vulcan Cannon from a safe distance, and that move is pretty unpunishable if he combos it off of a cr.C. I don’t think he’s that high either, but not bottom, because his hit confirms off of a standing or crouching C into his 3-hit Back Breaker combo does like 50%. The key to beating him is just to learn how to anti-air him and what beats his air-to-air. Because if you can get the lead, his only way in is to jump in (he can’t Body Splash because it’s so slow). But since he has some jump moves that beat a lot of character’s “standard” AAs (like if a regular Charlotte just tries to standing AB his jump ins rather than do standing C, which is more reliable vs. Sieger), he’ll be able to get in, score the C, and hitconfirm into death, then turtle/chip the round to win.

This game defined my mid-90s… 1994, 1995, 1996 were good times. And it seemed everyone was good at this game back then. Used to play on Kaillera, but that scene died. The good ones were Vietcong, legend, another guy I can’t remember at the moment. Online lets you get away with run-up throws more than you really should though, and 50/50s are even more dangerous online since you have lag to deal with your reaction time. I hope SS2 gets picked for ggpo public release rather than beta.

Shes top tier in SS1…her and Earthquake…Charlottes been top tier in almost every Sam Sho for the same reason…HER POKES + Priority.

I got vids look up my ShinDarkGeese account on youtube to find how I play Charlotte in Sam Sho 1… (they are old but its an idea…I play her much much better now)

You can play her the same way in SS2…Shes the Queen of pokes…

With the Anthology coming out Strike dont worry Sam Sho II will be revived…

I will be holding tournaments for it and I think one will happen at MWC…

-Dark Geese

When the game comes out for live im picking it up for sure, im thinking of using one of the ninjas or whoever is a counter match for Ukyo.

Shut up man! Don’t tell people about gen an! The rankings posted throughout this thread don’t sound right to me! You see I’m old enough to remember playing ss2 in the arcades and ukyo was the best, charlotte wasn’t 2nd! Both ninjas are better than her imo. Oh shit I fell into this bullshit trying to make a tier list with people that didn’t play the game. No one wants to play/learn how to play a game with the worst character, but atleast play the game 1st! I aint telling ya’ll shit in this thread, but I will gladly play anyone on ggpo or nfba p2p and show them how to play! I would rather show you how to play than talk about it!

Quick question: how to do the unarmed weapon grabs in this game and in the original?

Half-circle forward (no button) while weaponless in this game. Don’t know about SS1.

Vids plz…thank ya.

I do think both ninja’s are better than charlotte, but she’s is top tier. I think there are 5 top tier characters in ss2. No character sucks in ss2 imo. Everyone has ways to attack you and win. Gen-an is 2nd tier, along with everyone not the ukyo, hanzo, charlotte, galford, sieger! Those are the top tier imo. I know ukyo is 1st, but the others are prolly tied for 2nd depending on the skill level of the player. Charlotte is the easiest to use out of all of them, but the others have more tricky shit they can use. She is the chun li of ss2 imo.

I’ve also found out it can be done just by running at an opponent (though it seems to be luck-based, as opposed to the normal weapons grab which always works provided the timing is right. STILL have no idea what is in the first game.

EDIT: Geese, nice SS vids there!

Weird, Wan-Fu should be top. I know Wan-Fu sucks compared to the Samurai Spirits/Shodown 1 version but he’s still a top character in this game.

Wow sorry I been away from this thread for a while guys…I been busy now I’m trying 2 get back on cycle etc…

Carmen- Thanks for the props…which vids of mine are you looking at? I got vids all over lol.

I agree with Larrys synopsis he makes good points about SS2.

This thread should be moved to the main section, since it is coming out on live anyways so it should get more attention.

I agree…but lets give it some more time…esp. w/ MWC coming this weekend and we anticipate having a Sam Sho II tournament at it…

Should we have it guys I will post up the vids when I get back!

-Dark Geese

I just played this game competitively last night and… it’s not as good as I remember it when I was younger.

The damage in the game is so inconsistent to the point that it’s almost random.

Its a bit like SF2 in that respect, still good but the random factor is a bit unusual.