Nova/Spencer/Doom Hard Tag Help

(posting this in Doom, Nova, and this board, sorry if you see the thread a bunch)

Hey guys, this is a very team specific question so I decided to not stick it in the combo section and maybe someone can help me out!

So Iv been really studying Coach Steve’s play, especially after watching him body Flux, and I had a few questions:

1. I can only get 1 air rep after crumple > hard tag Doom > s.S - I have tried EVERY variation I could think of to keep hit stun decay down, like doing shorter flight combos with nova before the crumple, starting with j.L > j.M (one hit) > Foot - Footdive instead of the full 4 hit (2x) j.M > foot - footdive after the hard tag. But every time they flip out trying to start the second rep. And even then Iv tried doing s.H > s.S to OTG or s.M > f.H > SJC, and even s.M > s.S but nothing seems to work, they always flip out. Im so confused because coach steve seems to do whatever the fuck he wants and always gets the second OTG and air combo, even if he uses Novas heavy flight loops into crumple, he still gets full 4 hit j. M air combo TWICE. I started trying to do the combo faster and faster until buttons werent even coming out because I was hitting buttons TOO fast.

2. The other question I had is, is there any way to get out of the spencer/plasma beam incoming? or is it just like a 50/50 every time like Zero’s lightning? Is Flux just not trying to block holding forward ever, or is the incoming just that cheap?

Thanks guys

hitstun decay is based on time. if you do a combo slower, hits will have less hitstun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PHaEJek_rc

pretty good resource. just learn these combos exactly.

spencer plasma incoming is a crossup/noncrossup based on timing. flux just didn’t know how to block it as coach steve varied it.

So I guess Im not doing them fast enough…like I said Iv tried doing the combos as fast as possible, Coach Steve seems to get it VERY consistently, Ill hit the lab again I guess, thank you

hitting an airborne vs a grounded opponent, and ground bounces will make your combo afterwards have less hitstun as well.

the amount of reps you get after the combo is based on the starter.

OK so I’m doing on a grounded opponent, LMHS, jMH, fly, LMHS, Spencer extension, tag Doom, S, jMMfHS, and then anything i try after is a no go

is there a video of a combo that starts like that and goes further? that might be as far as that combo can go.

1. You’re probably not doing the right combo. To put it simply, you can only do 2 reps with Doom after certain Nova combos. Most of the time, if you do the Spencer extension after you use the ground bounce you will only be able to get 1 rep. Try this combo in the corner: s. LMHS + j. H fly H unfly H, land H+Spencer call S + qcb H. It’s the Heavy fly unfly combo. You can 100% get 2 reps with Doom off of this combo. This combo can actually also be done mid-screen as well, although a little harder. But basically the idea is that you’re not using the ground bounce (Nova overhead) to get the Spencer extension.

Edit: Note - After a grab, you can use the ground bounce for the Spencer extension and still get 2 reps. Also if you use the ground bounce extremely early in a combo. For example: Occassionaly Coach Steve will go cr. M + doom call, st. H overhead, M H + spencer S qcb. H.

1. As far as I know, the only way out is to air dash or double jump out of it. However, if you know somebody is prone to doing that, you can do a down zip after the first forward zip. The down zip will act as a meaty and you’ll stuff people trying to dash out of it. Characters with no mobility cannot get out of it.

Depending on when you call the Doom assist, you can actually control whether or not it will cross-up.

Ok yeah Iv started using the unfly combo more because it always gets 2 reps. I was gonna make a new thread but maybe one of you guys can help with this too:

So iv seen coach steve get a cr.H > S. tk Up grapple after the df zip > down zip extension, I just cannot get that to work ever lol, not even after just a reel in punch, cant seem to get the cr.H after dzip.

Second question, and a much more important one for me at least: I was watching coach steves spencer tutorial and came across him saying that the difference between doing the criss cross extension vs the dfzip>dzip extension, is that because of how the characters fall differently when you sj tk the grapple vs when you regular jump tk the otg grapple; the criss cross works better for sj and the other works better for regular tk OTG grapple. Now I have not had this experience in the game. I always hold down during bionic maneuvers to get a regular tk and I can only get the criss cross, although I get it 9/10 times even online doing that. I would like to be able to do the dfzip > dzip after maneuvers because I want to be able to do the double bionic arm thing that Coach Steve does (down zip > armor piercer > arm > armor piercer > arm).

LASTLY If you could give me any tips on landing the dfzip > dzip extension on xf, because i just cant fucking figure it out, that would be super awesome

Thanks a lot people

To do the Dfzip > Dzip you just have to do the Dfzip a bit earlier compared to the criss cross, and slightly delay the dzip, I only recently figured this out, and it used to frustrated the hell out of me, now I get it more consistently, and depending on the hitstun you can add a S cancelled into an up grapple.

I never tried the cr.H > S after dzip, I did it before with the ground bounce of Nova’s assist, I just did it fast.

Keep watching Coach steve videos you will learn a lot about this team.

The important part is you already know you have to normal jump TK the OTG grapple. IMO you have to actually wait abit longer in the middle compared to the criss cross variation. I highly recommend you watching it done on video and emulating the timing in training mode as much as you can. By 5-10 mins of constantly doing it you will be able to visually see when you need to zip and how much you need to delay the zip. I have been doing this variation for over a year and my success ratio is basically 99% minus any weird characters.

As for doing it in XF you have to delay the second zip in between even further because of the speed. It is indeed very possible and only gets difficult in XF3 which at that point might not be necessary since one zip down into armor piercer will usually be enough.

Thanks Iv figured it out, just had to delay the down zip after the first df zip, since the timing is different for criss cross, thanks for all the help