New player LF advice regarding Defense

Hello everybody.

I am fairly new to SF series i picked it up a couple of months ago and i’m having a blast even though i got much to learn. However i want to improve.
At the moment i play 2 character Gouken and Juri. I enjoy both and in all honesty i kinda do better with Gouken, he has more health , better damage and overall better defense however i really want to learn Juri also.

I learned a few basic combos and punish combos but i think my biggest problem in this game is defense. I’m having a hard time getting people off me and it’s a real pain having to deal with mix ups when i get knocked down.
Another problem i have is , trying to figure out how to open up people,almost all my cross ups get blocked and vs most characters i feel like i get outpocked ( i usually store as light fuhajin and try to connect it via medium kick ).

I may sound like i am complaining a lot, but i just wanted to describe my problems. Any advice and criticism is greatly appreciated.How can i improve my defense ? !

Thanks for reading and have a nice day :smile:

PS : I’m floating around 2000 PP on ,i think the highest i had was 2500 with a bit of luck. ( so u may know around what lvl of skill i play now )

Work on her other pokes ranges would be my best advice (fs.mp is cancelable and has great range, cr.mp has active frames for days and stuffs a lot of shit, st.lk has really good range for the speed). She’s got great tools for footsies, but does struggle in some match ups.

Shitty defense is part of playing her unfortunately. Raw EX pin very sparingly and try to learn your opponents habits and how to block them. Hopefully Capcom fixes the damn cl.mk bug soon.

Some might say it is a waste of meter, but EX pinwheel (2 hits) FADC forward is I think +2 or +3 on block. If the PW connects you can combo into s.lk, s.lp, s.mp x hk PW. If they block you can do nothing, back dash or throw.

It’s a lot of meter, but it’s a good, safe way to say “get the fuck off me!” I find it useful.

Hey all,sry for the late reply.

Would like to say that indeed i have worked on her pokes, mainly crouching medium kick and it had well,mixed results. The main thing i improved is my fireball game. It really does seem i can keep people out for quite a while. I mainly store a low or high while keeping them out with medium fireball.

It’s not flashy or tons of damage at a time,however this kinda works. It annoys the opponent enough so they either jump at me or do something stupid,opening them up to some basic bnb combos i can do for now.

Should i focus on this style of gameplay for now ? It proved to be incredible effective to push and keep then in the corner also.

PS : A quick question. What is Juri’s best option to counter dive kicks such as E Ryu’s dive, Akuma’s or Cammy ? Most of the time i try and anti air,i get hit,while sometimes i do manage to anti air,though it seems i have to do it quite late. Should i just block it ?

Sry for the newb questions ,as i said i am fairly new but i do want to improve with her. Thanks for reading !

my preferred method is to fwd dash under the jump and then try to catch their landing frames with cr.mk xx store (assuming they’re in range) or go air-to air with j.mp.

You can also try to Kasatushi dive kicks (QCB+P). It often surprises the opponent and sets you at distance. I like to use the Light version and immediatly follow with L senpusha. Don’t use the Hard version against characters with shoryukens or things like that. The Hard version followed by airborne hard kick will only work on too aggressive players.