New patch out on Monday gives Seth a 50 point health boost. Capcom is listening?!?

Pretty much his only buff and no nerfs, but I’ll fucking take it. We’re now tied with Akuma.

And Evil Ryu got a 50 point life drop. Now 900 total. I guess Omega mode won’t be all that could save Seth from mediocrity.

Full patch notes here: http://shoryuken.com/2014/12/13/full-patch-notes-released-for-ultra-street-fighter-ivs-1-04-update/

That is incredibly disappointing. I was hoping I would only have to sit around on a different main until Capcom realized the error of their ways and reverted some nerfs, so I could then come back.

But a health buff? And still 50 less HP than, say, Evil Ryu? Ridiculously bad.

This was the only thing I wanted. Now he is perfect(, well maybe increasing cl.hp damage from 90 to 100). This helps me to be even more solid. Nice!

Well it is a buff rather than a nerf, so as you say, I’ll take it, but I’d rather have any one of these things than a 50 health buff.

1. DP invincibility back
  2. j.hk back
  3. LL stun reverted
  4. Tanden cancel back
  5. SPD stun reverted

or maybe spice it up, give him something new

1. Divekick 1f faster startup (12f->11)
  2. Stomp first hit changed from 50 to 100 stun
  3. far.hp changed to command normal
  4. close.lp having an actual usable hitbox and hitting crouchers
  5. close.mk jump cancellable???

Ok maybe that last one is going a bit too far, but any ONE of these things I would’ve preferred to 50 health. A bunch of health is not what I’m looking for when I play this character. Again though, I’ll take it.

Keep in mind everybody, that any nerf to another character is also a buff to Seth.

Haven’t played Seth in almost two months now… 50 health isn’t going to get me to revisit him.

but Omega Seth… who knows what that’ll be like?

(the patch is live) Omega Seth is pretty much a different character

This is most definitely not a comprehensive change list, but (aside from new omega things like no utkd or crouching DP without a move to buffer into standing motions from?)

Seth has walk speed now. It looks weird but its walk speed.
fst.HP is a “new” normal (not special cancelable)
ground limbs is now fw.HP
Seth does have jumping limbs now. They can only be done from neutral jumps, and you must hold fw.HP. Seth will float in the air until the move is done; it feels a little weird. It’s been nerfed to 60/100 too.
cr.MP is not USFIV frame data
dive kick (air) no longer resets; it’s a knockdown
Hyakuretsu is gone. Now it’s a three kick knockdown move (HK 180/200.) You can FADC this but it doesn’t look like anything is possible from it. Super cancel does good damage. EX is old Hyakuretsu (150/250…think the damage was buffed slightly.)
Speaking of, some moves had damage buffs. cr.HK for example does 100 now.
SPD included, HP does 190/200. EX does 200/200. All SPD recovery on hit looks…sped up (able to move faster.)
EX Boom , known.
nj.mk is weird and probably good. Seth floats for a while and you control where he goes all the way down. Can cross up, can combo from easily.
Tanden Engine is a reverse DP (asdfg.) Still not cancelable. Range is way down; but now you can combo from any connection apparently. I was doing cr.HP from max range. Didn’t really test EX, looks the same as old EX Engine.
Super is QCB now. I think. I just mashed it to see if it did more damage or something different, it doesn’t.
Ultra 2 always juggles now, I think. Hurray!

There is probably more stuff, as stated.

edit:
EX Hyaku was sped up, you can do cr.MP and cr.MK into EX Hyaku now.
EX Boom + a lot on hit when you combo into it…like lol amounts. I’m talking EX Boom, cr.HP. Or walk forward cst.HP. Stun breaks 700 very easily with one bar. Mostly abusable only in the corner though

Too bad Gen exists

Yeah here some more:

• cannot do (at least as easily as in Ultra version) s.mp/s.hk/cr.lp, s.hp, sonic boom fadc cr.hp combos (seems that cr.hp is old slower version, 11f?)
  • cannot do cr.mp, s.hp
  • cr.lk cannot be chained
  • forward dash can be canceled before end of the dash animation
  • f.mp now special cancelable
  • after cr.hp, second cr.hp creates always juggle state

some combos
cr.hp, 2hit dp, mp chariot
j.hl, s.mp, s.hp, ex chariot, mp chariot
cr.hp, sb, ex chariot, u2,
ex chariot, ex chariot
etc.

Omega version of Seth seems pretty disappointing due to fact that only ex chariot create juggle state properly. No
Urien loops in the corner.

I dont think capcom cares, they just do things cause people complain. Deejay and Sim still suck

Isn’t that character specific? I didn’t try that combo in Ultra or Omega, but I know it won’t work on almost half the cast (Last tested in AE 2012). Like only characters that s.MP > s.HP works on can you get c.HP after boom FADC.

Anyway, I like Omega Seth a lot. And I don’t think Omega mode is all that scrub friendly either. I tried out Abel and that dude is gonna take some work to win with vs zoners. Omega mode is just a totally different game that closer resembles games that the characters originated from, which I like. I was surprised they didn’t give a lot of new tools to Rose, they just made her nearly identical to how she is in Alpha.

But my point is, I hope edition select becomes a serious consideration for tournaments, maybe with some characters being banned (vanilla Sagat, Akuma, Omega Gen etc…). It’s a new spin on a tired game engine and Omega mode really brings new life to it.

Edit:

A couple changes I noticed that haven’t been mentioned yet are when you stomp a standing character for all 3 stomps, the last one doesn’t knock down. They remain standing, or at least not knocked down.

neutral jump MK doesn’t seem to have much of any height restriction, but the higher you do it, the easier it is to combo from. Don’t think I could combo from the lowest height.

EX legs doesn’t have any invincibility now (didn’t check for fireball or throw invincibility).

I think Seth recovers from whiffed jabs and light kicks faster (I could easily be imagining this).

Yeah it’s character/distance specific. If cr.mp, s.hp or s.mp, s.hp (and/or some char after crossup/cr.lp, s.hp) connect then you can probably do sb, fadc, cr.hp. Of course there are some chars like Ibuki etc where it does not connect even after combos I mentioned. My favourite combo in midscreen.

I don’t remember all chars by heart (due to their popularity, no one plays them) but here are some of the guarenteed:

all shotos, seth, viper, fei long, dudley, adon, yun, yang, blanka, rose (after cr.lp, s.hp) and many more.

Edit: that 50hp buff is god like. It may sound small but I feel it’s huge. Many matches today was close call but HP buff saved me many times.

I feel the 50 health was about all he needed (and about damn time). Poongko has really been putting in work. Seth is definitely more fair than he’s been, but I agree he needed something. I think this is gonna work out well. Seth is underrated.

I like the 50 health, wish he still had crossup jhk though

I like this. I am usually a zoner with Seth, so this health increase is a welcome improvement since increased life for a zoner greatly increases the chances of winning. All Seth really needs is more life, IMO.

I wish they would have just buffed the weaker characters and left him alone.

Well, he is mediocre now. Too mediocre. Shadow of his former self though. If Capcom would revert stun nerfs on SPD or give j.Hk crossup back in a next update i would call it a day.

That or make Omega mode tournament legal, since he’s pretty much what he should be in that mode.

I wouldn’t call one the strongest character in the game mediocre. :slight_smile:

Seth has great mixups, but the reward is not that great anymore. Neutral game is mediocre at best, zoning is mediocre at best, damage is slightly above average now. His pressure can still be overwhelming, but weakened. SPD setups are mediocre, delayed wakeup weakens the setups, even though there is ways to change setup on fly with dive kick. Ultra Seth can tear low and mid tier to pieces, but the struggle is real against top 5. I think he is top 15 now, so im not downplaying him :smile: