Need rundown of assists and capabilities with assists

Need rundown of assists and capabilities with assists

I’m looking to make a thread in the general mvc3 forum that helps explain how the assists work and how assists work for each specific character. Basically I’d just like a quick rundown of 3 things.

1. A generic description of each of the character’s 3 specific assists and their uses in battle for offense/defense/adding hits to combos etc.

2. A general rundown of which assists work well for their rushdown/defense/lockdown etc. Something like this…

DOCTOR DOOM

Spoiler

Reliance on assists on point without XF = Reliant
Reliance on assists with XF2 = Moderate
XF3/Anchor abilities = Solid

Strong assists for lockdown/pressure: Haggar lariat (stops opponent from attacking, hard knockdown for s.H OTG on hit) Ammy Cold Star (long mix up lockdown), Arthur Daggers (fast start up, long mix up lockdown) Sent drones (long mix up lockdown), Chun Li legs (long mix up lockdown, fast activating), Dante Jam Session (long mix up lockdown, keeps aerial characters grounded), Dorm Dark Hole (long mix up lockdown) Akuma tatsu (aerial lockdown, passes through projectiles during active frames), Iron Man repulsor blast (long lockdown, keeps opponent from jumping/flying), Iron Man Unibeam (standard beam lockdown), Tron Fire(standard lockdown, protects your block strings), any other long active multi hitting assist not mentioned.

Strong assists for projectile and assist clearance or unblockable set up: Iron Man Unibeam (projectile/assist clearance, decent active frames for mix up), Shuma Mystic Ray(projectile/assist clearance, keeps opponents from jumping/flying), Arthur Daggers(projectile/assist clearance/fast start up), Wesker gun shot (unblockable set up),Akuma tatsu(absorbs standard beam projectiles during active frames, loses to large hit box projectiles like Dante’s Crystal or Hulk’s Gamma Wave), Storm Whirlwind (projectile/assist clearance), Deadpool Quick Work (unblockable set up), Magneto Disruptah (projectile/assist clearance),Felicia Rolling Buckler (unblockable set up, high priority against other attacks once active),She Hulk Torpedo (unblockable set up)

General assist strategy is to have an assist that locks people down or keeps them down to set up high low mix ups and air M box jumps (aka air dash M cross up). The reason why Doom is more reliant on an assist to lock people down even though he can move around and fly like Mags and Storm is that he doesn’t have a dash that cancels with normals. Whenever you dash with Dr.Doom you get the ability to cancel it into a jump instead. This is technically a nerf since it makes your wave dash reliant on forcing you to jump first. Making you susceptible to air throws even though you’re basically on the ground.

To offset this though once you get an assist that locks down once you get in you can create really long block strings with very minimal gaps since Doom has the ability to cancel his normals into dashes. This means you can lock someone down with say Ammy’s cold star and go for a mix up. If somehow you don’t land anything they still can’t push guard you because of the assist. Once the assist is gone you can start throwing out c.L’s and follow them up with c.H which does a lot of block stun and can be OS’d by doing c.L~c.H so it comes out on a hit or block but not on whiff. If the opponent push guards the c.H you can confirm with the plink that they blocked and advance guarded and then just continue dashing through the advance guard with jump cancelling your dash into an ADDF once or twice to stay right in their face. By that time Ammy Cold Star should be available to lock them down again and if they advance guard too much they push themselves into the corner and lose.

Doom on point isn’t very reliant on DHC synergy because all he wants to do is have his assists plus his normal dash cancels through advance guards help him push people towards the corner. If they’re close enough to the corner Doom has TOD’s that can do up to 1.15 to 1.2 million damage without DHC glitch. 1.15. to 1.2 is easier to achieve with an assist but you can still get 1.05 to 1.1 easy without assist once you build the 2 plus meters at the end of the combo.

Doom also goes well on point with any assist that helps clear up point or assist based projectiles or attacks.

1. How good the character is as an anchor.

Thx in advance.

Damn, woulda expected more feedback from the sent forums.

1. Drones: Do I really need to cover these? Really good assist, one of the best in the entire game, extremely versatile in its applications and just very very good.
    Rocket Punch: Not as effective considering it doesn’t hit low, and as a result is very limited in its application. Probably his worst assist.
    Bomb drones: An underrated assist imo, not as versatile as drones, but a lot better at keep away since the drones don’t explode when sentinel gets hit. With a few tweaks in ultimate these will definitely become a lot more popular. Also, they otg, although they come out too slowly to be used the same manner as other otg assists.

2. Sent is extremely versatile so he can work with a number of assists. Good keep away assists like hidden missles, jam session, any good projectile assist to name a few. Since sents best projectile is a normal move he can call assists while he is performing it to set-up some pretty brutal strings, he can then summon drones to either cover his approach, or further hinder his opponents approach and cover his calling of the drones with any horizontal assist.

Rush down assists like tatsu, lariat or dark hole help him with his fly pressure by covering up the angles he can’t at any particular moment. Trap assists like landmine and hopscotch also make his corner pressure extra deadly since they make it such that the only avenue of escape from the corner is through the skies which sents fly unfly boot pressure make nigh impossible.

1. Finally, the area I know Im gonna be flak for, my opinion of sent as an anchor. I hate it, I absolutely hate it. Without an assist, sents keep away and rushdown both suffer a good deal since he can’t cover the recovery on his normals and specials with an assist call anymore thus making it rather difficult to open up a competent opponent. Sent also has some of the worst match-ups in the game since without an assist he gets rushed down and kept out rather effectively due to his gargantuan hitbox. Finally, sentinel has some of the most damaging regular combos in the game, with the right amount of meter and execution he can TOD almost the entire cast, thus wasting the extra damage boost he gets from lvl 3 x-factor.

Not bad I think, ill have to go back to the storm forums and re-do her post as well.

I would post, but I feel there are more “qualified” sentinel players who should post instead of me.

Because, tbh, Filipino Champ, Nerses, and etc. don’t seem to post here much, and they have some great technology for the robot.

Oh Im by no means implying Im one of the most knowledgeable sentinel players out there, quite the contrary I am actually quite ass with the robot. But Im just trying to do my bit for the community, and hey, if I post something utterly ridiculous, I can trust srk to clear up my misconception so Im learning.

I wasn’t implying anything, I was actually also wondering why no one was giving feedback towards the robot as well.

For such a popular character in the beginning of the game, he sure has fallen.

Losing 400,00 health will do that to you. Seriously though I think what really happened is people realized sentinel actually required effort to be played effectively and we all know how much people like using characters that require work.

It should be mentioned that in Ultimate, drones have been sped up and are actually a bit worse - because once they block the first one, the rest of the blocks are automatic. So no more side-switching between drones causing a hit, accidental dash instead of pushblock, overhead between drones, etc.

overhead between drones definitely still works, you can only autoguard left/rights, high lows are still fair game.

for my team drones are arguably better because they work differently for dante combos now.