Need rundown of assists and capabilities with assists

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]
Need rundown of assists and capabilities with assists

I’m looking to make a thread in the general mvc3 forum that helps explain how the assists work and how assists work for each specific character. Basically I’d just like a quick rundown of 3 things.

1. A generic description of each of the character’s 3 specific assists and their uses in battle for offense/defense/adding hits to combos etc.

2. A general rundown of which assists work well for their rushdown/defense/lockdown etc. Something like this…

DOCTOR DOOM

Spoiler

Reliance on assists on point without XF = Reliant
Reliance on assists with XF2 = Moderate
XF3/Anchor abilities = Solid

Strong assists for lockdown/pressure: Haggar lariat (stops opponent from attacking, hard knockdown for s.H OTG on hit) Ammy Cold Star (long mix up lockdown), Arthur Daggers (fast start up, long mix up lockdown) Sent drones (long mix up lockdown), Chun Li legs (long mix up lockdown, fast activating), Dante Jam Session (long mix up lockdown, keeps aerial characters grounded), Dorm Dark Hole (long mix up lockdown) Akuma tatsu (aerial lockdown, passes through projectiles during active frames), Iron Man repulsor blast (long lockdown, keeps opponent from jumping/flying), Iron Man Unibeam (standard beam lockdown), Tron Fire(standard lockdown, protects your block strings), any other long active multi hitting assist not mentioned.

Strong assists for projectile and assist clearance or unblockable set up: Iron Man Unibeam (projectile/assist clearance, decent active frames for mix up), Shuma Mystic Ray(projectile/assist clearance, keeps opponents from jumping/flying), Arthur Daggers(projectile/assist clearance/fast start up), Wesker gun shot (unblockable set up),Akuma tatsu(absorbs standard beam projectiles during active frames, loses to large hit box projectiles like Dante’s Crystal or Hulk’s Gamma Wave), Storm Whirlwind (projectile/assist clearance), Deadpool Quick Work (unblockable set up), Magneto Disruptah (projectile/assist clearance),Felicia Rolling Buckler (unblockable set up, high priority against other attacks once active),She Hulk Torpedo (unblockable set up)

General assist strategy is to have an assist that locks people down or keeps them down to set up high low mix ups and air M box jumps (aka air dash M cross up). The reason why Doom is more reliant on an assist to lock people down even though he can move around and fly like Mags and Storm is that he doesn’t have a dash that cancels with normals. Whenever you dash with Dr.Doom you get the ability to cancel it into a jump instead. This is technically a nerf since it makes your wave dash reliant on forcing you to jump first. Making you susceptible to air throws even though you’re basically on the ground.

To offset this though once you get an assist that locks down once you get in you can create really long block strings with very minimal gaps since Doom has the ability to cancel his normals into dashes. This means you can lock someone down with say Ammy’s cold star and go for a mix up. If somehow you don’t land anything they still can’t push guard you because of the assist. Once the assist is gone you can start throwing out c.L’s and follow them up with c.H which does a lot of block stun and can be OS’d by doing c.L~c.H so it comes out on a hit or block but not on whiff. If the opponent push guards the c.H you can confirm with the plink that they blocked and advance guarded and then just continue dashing through the advance guard with jump cancelling your dash into an ADDF once or twice to stay right in their face. By that time Ammy Cold Star should be available to lock them down again and if they advance guard too much they push themselves into the corner and lose.

Doom on point isn’t very reliant on DHC synergy because all he wants to do is have his assists plus his normal dash cancels through advance guards help him push people towards the corner. If they’re close enough to the corner Doom has TOD’s that can do up to 1.15 to 1.2 million damage without DHC glitch. 1.15. to 1.2 is easier to achieve with an assist but you can still get 1.05 to 1.1 easy without assist once you build the 2 plus meters at the end of the combo.

Doom also goes well on point with any assist that helps clear up point or assist based projectiles or attacks.

1. How good the character is as an anchor.

Thx in advance.[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/FONT]

ironman is one of the harder characters to pigeonhole cause hes so balanced in an all around way… ie he has no super glaring weaknesses that using an assist can cover well, but he also doesnt have any super strengths that assists can buff to the moon. an example of the first is arthur/haggar… arthurs air defense and close defense lack a whole lot… so haggar becomes an easy pick to cover arthurs weaknesses.

an example of the second is like dante plus beam assist… dantes teleport is one of his strongest moves, and throwing in a beam assist that he can use to instantly crossup from fullscreen with makes them very powerful.

IM doesnt really have either consideration and can be used with a multitude of the already well known assists. personally i think that his best overall assist character would be doom with rocks… but im sure that half or more of the im forums would disagree wiith me and some would say drones some would say a beam, some would say tron some would say haggar etc etc.

imho hes very reliant on assists cause his offense without them lacks speed and priority and his ranged game lacks speed and durability. however with an assist at either end he becomes MUCH better. some think hes a very good anchor in xf3… i dont particularly cause once again he simply lacks priority and has to sacrifice speedy moves for range or range for slowness. hes not a HORRIBLE anchor… i just think there are VERY many characters in the game that are better and i also dont think his great beam assist is good enough on its own to put him in 3rd place simply because the damage scaling on it on hit is really bad.

a description of his assists: well they are really obvious but repulsor is a decent AA, beam is a decen lockdown and smartbombs are decent for specialized otg combos.

as im reading this again now you just want a general list of assist that work well with him… ok here goes: ANY beam assist compliments his offense and defense. tron compliments both his defense and offense as well but shes like +5 to his defense whereas only +1 to his offense. he can make dorm blackhole work as well as taskys arrows as well as drones and he could probably use haggar as a gtfo me assist as well if he had another beam assist on his team. as far as specialized assists go i like rocks the most cause they allow him to be defesive and then be offensive all in the same assist call, whereas all other beam assists require a commitment to defense or offense but dont give both. one of ironmans strongest abilities is to go from defense to offense and i feel that doom rocks exploit that strength the most as ironman has ALOT of petterns to call out doom rocks on defense and then transition to offense should he want to.

i’d love to hear other ironman players thoughts on this, even though i know they will run a broad spectrum… but ironman players arent really the posting in threads alot type so… it might not happen.

dj if you want to see some above intermediate ironman play as far as his basic midrange strategies go… check out chipp zanuffs thread in here where he asks for any input on his games… they are the best non flash metroid ironman vids in the ironman section imho… and i feel they serve as a basic learning tool better than flashs overall, you would probably learn a great deal from the ones where IM doesnt get peaced out relatively quick.

-dime

A.) rundown of his assists

unibeam

pros
-pretty quick startup
-iron man comes out slightly behind the point character which keeps him pretty safe
-is unique because it keeps people standing. gives people a quick assist that they can use to both get in and mixup as well as allowing more elaborate left/right combos

cons
-scales damage horribly

repulsor blast

pros
-covers a huge part of the screen
-great lockdown assist

cons
-hard to combo off of
-startup isn’t great and leaves him very vulnerable

smart bombs

pros
-startup isn’t too bad

cons
-hardly any range
-only for otg purposes period

B.) top 5 assists for iron man imo (obviously).

1. doom rocks. extremely versatile assist and iron man is rather good at protecting their long duration. augments iron man’s midrange game and can be used very offensively as both an assist to get in and up combo damage. iron man and doom work extremely well together.

2. tron fire. while im’s range is definitely not shulk’s, he does have very good hit-confirms off of gustaff thanks in part to his incredible B normals. gustaff, 5B, 2B, S has a hell of a lot of range. this is another assist that greatly ups iron man’s main strength: his midrange game as well as his defense, obviously. tron’s not too shabby with a beam assist either so the two work very well together. i don’t use her personally because i prefer assists that are much less one-dimensional, but the potential is there.

3. dorm dark hole. another good assist with multiple functions. this assist blends well with iron man’s main game and hits around the same range as air smart bombs which helps turn that range into the death zone. im’s trijump isn’t the fastest, and this assist helps cover the area right where his tridash goes. also adds a really good chunk of damage and meter at the end of combos to help tony tod. dorm loves beams, too.

4. dante jam session. main use is to reestablish im’s ideal range as a get off me/aa type assist, but it also has functions in the reset and combo department. solid choice. dante needs a beam, too.

5. drones. drones work with everyone, yes, i know that. with im, they greatly assist his lame game with beam and repulsor and give him a couple of opportunities for tridash mixups. not much use aside from that, but it does help.

C.) stark as an anchor

dime pretty much covered it. i also think he makes a pretty poor anchor. not that bad, but he’s definitely not going to come back against a full team.

dime already did answer this pretty well which is probably why there hasn’t been much activity, but i’m just hoping we can get a discussion going on best assists for iron man.

iron man with doom rocks?

how would i apply this in a rush down situation?

the most basic pattern is at midscreen:

jumpback h+doomrocks (jump h wiffs most likely) xx L smartbombs>airdash down forward M (you will be covered by smartbomb block/hitstun and the ranged portion of doom rocks) like i sadi though its the MOST basic pattern. you can get alot more in depth with what you do after smartbombs such as throw 2 more sets or airdash back and fall with s. or airdash up back and throw another set of smartbombs… ALOT of things you can do and it varies depending on matchup and opponent how successful any one pattern is (like all fighting game tactics) its not some god mode shit, just some nice zoning based shit that can transition to offense if you should desire.

the other way is when the opponent is in the corner doom can be called to come in and lockdown like chun legs or ammy coldstar… though of course for much less time… but enough to get off a free tridash mixup.

-dime