Need rundown of assists and capabilities with assists

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]I’m looking to make a thread in the general mvc3 forum that helps explain how the assists work and how assists work for each specific character. Basically I’d just like a quick rundown of 3 things.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]1. A generic description of each of the character’s 3 specific assists and their uses in battle for offense/defense/adding hits to combos etc.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]2. A general rundown of which assists work well for their rushdown/defense/lockdown etc. Something like this…[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]**NOTE: Look at the last spoiler, for some reason there’s some glitched out spoilers. **[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]
DOCTOR DOOM

[details=Spoiler][/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]Reliance on assists on point without XF = Reliant[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]Reliance on assists with XF2 = Moderate[/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]XF3/Anchor abilities = Solid[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]Strong assists for lockdown/pressure: Haggar lariat (stops opponent from attacking, hard knockdown for s.H OTG on hit) Ammy Cold Star (long mix up lockdown), Arthur Daggers (fast start up, long mix up lockdown) Sent drones (long mix up lockdown), Chun Li legs (long mix up lockdown, fast activating), Dante Jam Session (long mix up lockdown, keeps aerial characters grounded), Dorm Dark Hole (long mix up lockdown) Akuma tatsu (aerial lockdown, passes through projectiles during active frames), Iron Man repulsor blast (long lockdown, keeps opponent from jumping/flying), Iron Man Unibeam (standard beam lockdown), Tron Fire(standard lockdown, protects your block strings), any other long active multi hitting assist not mentioned.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]Strong assists for projectile and assist clearance or unblockable set up: Iron Man Unibeam (projectile/assist clearance, decent active frames for mix up), Shuma Mystic Ray(projectile/assist clearance, keeps opponents from jumping/flying), Arthur Daggers(projectile/assist clearance/fast start up), Wesker gun shot (unblockable set up),Akuma tatsu(absorbs standard beam projectiles during active frames, loses to large hit box projectiles like Dante’s Crystal or Hulk’s Gamma Wave), Storm Whirlwind (projectile/assist clearance), Deadpool Quick Work (unblockable set up), Magneto Disruptah (projectile/assist clearance),Felicia Rolling Buckler (unblockable set up, high priority against other attacks once active),She Hulk Torpedo (unblockable set up)[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]General assist strategy is to have an assist that locks people down or keeps them down to set up high low mix ups and air M box jumps (aka air dash M cross up). The reason why Doom is more reliant on an assist to lock people down even though he can move around and fly like Mags and Storm is that he doesn’t have a dash that cancels with normals. Whenever you dash with Dr.Doom you get the ability to cancel it into a jump instead. This is technically a nerf since it makes your wave dash reliant on forcing you to jump first. Making you susceptible to air throws even though you’re basically on the ground.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]To offset this though once you get an assist that locks down once you get in you can create really long block strings with very minimal gaps since Doom has the ability to cancel his normals into dashes. This means you can lock someone down with say Ammy’s cold star and go for a mix up. If somehow you don’t land anything they still can’t push guard you because of the assist. Once the assist is gone you can start throwing out c.L’s and follow them up with c.H which does a lot of block stun and can be OS’d by doing c.L~c.H so it comes out on a hit or block but not on whiff. If the opponent push guards the c.H you can confirm with the plink that they blocked and advance guarded and then just continue dashing through the advance guard with jump cancelling your dash into an ADDF once or twice to stay right in their face. By that time Ammy Cold Star should be available to lock them down again and if they advance guard too much they push themselves into the corner and lose.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]Doom on point isn’t very reliant on DHC synergy because all he wants to do is have his assists plus his normal dash cancels through advance guards help him push people towards the corner. If they’re close enough to the corner Doom has TOD’s that can do up to 1.15 to 1.2 million damage without DHC glitch. 1.15. to 1.2 is easier to achieve with an assist but you can still get 1.05 to 1.1 easy without assist once you build the 2 plus meters at the end of the combo.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]Doom also goes well on point with any assist that helps clear up point or assist based projectiles or attacks.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414][/details]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]3. How good the character is as an anchor.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Helvetica][COLOR=#141414]Thx in advance.[/FONT][/COLOR]

1. Guess I’ll just mention some noteworthy things about some of Chris’ assist.

Alpha - Combination Punch H

• Two hit attack will most likely always connect no matter how much hit-stun deterioration is involved.
  • Hard knockdown.
  • Intended mostly as a combo extender and nothing else.

Beta - Gun Shot M (machine gun)

• Good damage, exceptional chip.
  • Similar properties to Iron Man’s unibeam. It keeps opponents standing and idle. Good for following up and serves are a capable lockdown tool.
  • Full screen, good assist clearance.

Gamma - Grenade Toss (landmine)

• OTG capable.
  • Highly delayed assist, the attack takes awhile to come out, making it a good pre-emptive combo extender.
  • Spinning soft knockdown.
  1. Chris works with various assists:
    Amaterasu Cold Star/ Hsien-Ko Pendulum / Sentinel Drones / Doom Hidden Missles - Anything that can keep the opponent occupied for a small while is a big plus. It allows chris to establish his zoning game by setting up landmines and grenades.

Haggar Lariat - this is a huge one, since chris can effectively follow up on Lariat. Lariat serves as Chris’ protection, offense, and combo extender. Perhaps the best assist for Chris overall.

Spencer Slant Wire Grapple/Jill Arrowkick/ Haggar Lariat - these are the better combo extenders for Chris, which are unique compared to other assists. All three of these assists allow Chris to set up a grenade launcher super during a combo.

1. Chris is not an excellent anchor due to his deadzones in the air and subpar normals and movement. He can chip a lot in lvl 3 x-factor, but he’s a relatively easy character to avoid and to establish his zone control takes a little bit of time.

^
Good Lariat info.

Haggar sucks as an anchor against good players with good characters (see EVO). If you can’t lock your opponent in the corner then all he can practically do is Pipe, Lariat, and maybe a Hail Mary qcf+C.

I’ve been using dorm’s dark hole to get in and it’s been working pretty well. My team atm is Chris, Dormamuu, Haggar. Chris on point everytime unless I face Ammy then I use Dorm on point cuz that freakin dog is so annoying but fire trap saves me from it all the time.

Anyway back to assist… of course I have haggars lariat but I also use Dorm’s dark hole more so. Anytime I call him I am doing Chris’ jumping pistol shot to cover him just incase they try and random super it most of the time tags my opponent canceling out there super which is great. You have to put the pressure on with that jumping pistol though or Dorm is an easy target. Trust the jumping pistol, it is very useful. If the pistol whiffs cuz they are tryin to charge in the dorm dark hole will tag alot of times then u can setup what you like. Either relaunch, flamethrower, or just throw flame grenade and continue from there.

I’m sure this strat could work well with other assists too but remember you have to be constantly jumping pistol at the same time as u call the assist. Pistol is key almost how you see some Weskers constantly shooting his gun that’s what you gotta do with Chris. I feel it’s very effective and I’ve only been usin Chris for about 2 week now.

so ive been thinking. i play chris/dante/dorm. who should do what? do i use jam session as my anti-air or purification. do i use weasel shot for my lockdown or dark hole?

Who’s ur point and anchor?

Chris is Point, Dormammu is the Anchor