Need help with Akuma

Quick background, I started off playing Ryu, because that’s what everyone said to do, and found that I liked the shoto playstyle, but didn’t really like Ryu himself. I tried Evil Ryu, and liked him, but a lot of his potential was in his axe kick, which I didn’t like. I tried Ken, and just didn’t enjoy playing him, so I settled on Akuma, because I really like all of his moves. So I take him online, and to summarize, I get consistently destroyed. The general problem I end up having is my opponent getting up in my face and hitting me with a mixup that I can’t escape from. And even when I manage to avoid that happening, I don’t really know how to capitalize on my opponent doing unsafe things. So I end up in a situation where I can’t put pressure on my opponent, and they can just annihilate me.

Side note, I would put up a video of a match, but I’m not entirely sure how. >.<

I think You have fundamentals issues, not a problem with Akuma, or any other char.
Not understanding why you lose will be your daily bread and butter for a long long time.
You wouldn’t do better even with the correct info anyway. Reflexes and decisions + execution games are like that.

• You have to work and learn the knowledge
  • You have to work and learn the execution
  • You have to be smart enough to use one with the other when you need em. Or do like everyone else and work and learn step by step.

You eventually face this reality when you’re a noob, face it again when you seem to be an advanced player, and once again when you’re pretty good. Content evolve, the rest is still true. You jump down your pedestal and accept to learn new things.

You seem to be pretty low on that road, so you prolly should focus on having fun and destroy the friends you have around regularly. Once you feel you reach a plateau, you at you max and nothing changes, you’ll be ready for new tweaks in your game. Because then they’ll make sense. Before ? you won’t even undertand them.

Do you defend your space ? do you anti air ? do you push buttons that whiffs often ? Why ? At what range you feel in control ? why ? Do you jump at particular moment or just when you can ? How about mechanics like throws, throw techs ? backdashes focus backdashes ? you use them ?
Is it easier to mash backdash out of pressure or focus backdash for example and why ?

We all have to start from somewhere. But I tell you this discussion belongs to Newbie Saikyo Dojo section, not a character subforum :slight_smile:

Okay, I’ll go post there. Thanks for the advice, though I don’t really have any friends who want to play fighting games. <.<

I have the same problem. I read a lot back then starting from scratch 4years ago. SRK have a lot of data and you’ll find more elsewhere googling words you found. The good part is you’ll find lot of things to work on, and easy goals to achieve at this point.
There’s also a thread to find people in your area, offline or online I assume if you from USA I guess.