Necalli Beginners Thread

slash is not punishable if you hit far enough away from them that their normal wont reach. there is a perfect spot where the slash can still hit them and they wont be able to reach with anything in time

also guys i have a necalli facebook group going if you are interested in that https://www.facebook.com/groups/1643888232514205/

So I learnt that after LK/Ex Stomp you can command grab. I dont know if this was posted anywhere but yeah

I cant reach the EX command grab without walking forward a bit.

(on hit) Jump in Hp > st.mk > lk stomp then command grab works without needing to walk forward, mid screen even. (You’re +2 on hit, command grab starts up in 8 frames, so you’re technically at a 6 frame grab)

What I get from this is on block, EX stomp is better since its -2 and lk is -4 , but if you land a jump in lk stomp is better (they both have the same hit advantage, but it leaves you closer)

I’m having a good amount of issues with my Necalli game that is making me throw in the towel. Perhaps some folks can give me some advice before I actually give up.

1. Does Necalli have any form of frame trap? I feel like I can be jabbed out at any given moment. I went up against a friend who plays R. Mika, and he could jab out a cr.MK > LK Stomp if he guarded, without me being able to get anything in. If I get him to block the MK Stomp, it’s about even (but they actually win if I have the CPU set to Jab on guard) – an HK Stomp is out of the question due to the long wind-up.
  2. Is his Heavy DP the only go-to option as a “get off me!” move when you’re recovering from the ground? I know you can just block, but if I really want to send someone off who is disrespecting me, I feel like LP or MP DP is often countered or, for all I know, the timing is really strict on reversals.

My approach is pretty hit or miss. I try to play it patiently until I can get in, but often I find myself having to take to the air and dive-kick in just to be “in your face” in a fight. The problem is I begin to lose the battle of the normals up close and most people will just mash jab to prevent a command throw or mash LP+LK in order to tech an incoming throw/throw you as you dive in. It’s absolutely frustrating.

crMK xx LK stomp is not airtight and can indeed be interrupted by a 3f jab. stMP/crMP aren’t airtight either, but should frame trap people trying to jab inbetween.

necalli’s frame traps with stMK/stMP/crMP -> stLK. if stLK counterhits you should be able to link crMP xx LP slash, if it doesn’t you’ll have to link stLP xx EX stomp.

if your opponent doesn’t have a 3f jab you can do stMK/stMP/crMP -> crMP/stMK instead.

HP DP starts up slower than the other two but is pretty much completely invincible. it’s important to represent it and show your opponent you aren’t afraid to just throw it out there. you get walked all over if you don’t.

imo necalli’s divekick is almost worthless. if it hits shallow it seems to actually put you at disadvantage, and it keeps you in the air longer which gives people more time to react to it. i’ve been getting much more mileage out of jMK and jHP.

if you missed it, the two buffs from the beta to the final game it is that you can follow up in the corner the target combo with a dp by example…
And most important, is that after VT you dont need any longer to charge slash but you can cancel any hitting normal into it.
stMp, St Mp, Ex Slash it is soo easy to hit confirm and deals very good damage, on block, stMp StMp it is a good frametrap.

As a general all around tip it is that you should try to build and go into VT ASAP, it improves Necalli in all aspects.
Also, VS spam pressures enemies into don’t being too crouchy backy since just the fact of giving you free VT makes them nervous. I would had killed to give honda this move, solved the problem of having a good defense but no reason to make the enemy come to you.

The thing I liking the least it is that on wake up it is all “to DP or not to DP”, There are other good options?

Does necalli have any air normals that can challenge ryu’s c.hp? It has an amazing hit box and comes out in 6 frames! Ive tried empty jumping it to punish its recovery but it hits pretty far away. I tried to change the jump timing with the divekick but nope.

Just did some testing and I can’t interrupt Cr. MK xx LK Stomp with jab. I get counterhit every time. St. MK into Cr. MP and St. MP into Cr. MP also counterhit jabs as well as St. LK into St. MK. Cr. HP xx MK Stomp counter hits jabs too.

LK Stomp however is unsafe.

I think the divekick is an important tool to remember. If you notice that they rely heavily on normals to anti air, a delayed divekick can land you a solid hit. It’s also surprisingly safe, the only way I can find to punish it is when blocked standing by the taller characters like Gief and Birdie and even then they only get a jab or short. This means that against the majority of the cast it is safe (although -), even when blocked standing. Another important note is you get much more frame advantage on hit if they’re crouching. You can combo a St. MK if they’re crouching.

cr MK xx LK stomp is pretty safe max range because of the pushback but it can definintely get you in trouble at -4. vega can pretty much punish it every time but other than that you have to end up right close for them to Jab or DP it.

as said earlier in this thread divekick can be +8 so technically you could like a CR MK if you hit them on the toes

Your non-low medium buttons are all +2. That means following up a st.mk, st.mp, or cr.mp with another st.mk or st.mp will beat any move that lacks invincibility. That’s your go to frametrap.

If you’ve got a read on their low pokes you can use raw HK stomp to go over it. Not easy though.

Doesn’t seem like right design to have a move only useful when cancelled from a normal, but it’s possible that uses for it will appear in the future.

stomp cancels fireballs so you can use it to remove them without having to jump, block and slash.

Wait, really?

Damn. Necalli is equipped with so many anti fireballs tools.

For fun and profit, when Fang does a light fireball to stop you attack him, use light slash to absorb one fireball and knock him down. Then watch the Fang panic because they cant get free pressure anymore.

Hey there guys, 10 year break from street fighter games(Was pretty scrubby before too tbh), returning on a pad(Learned on stick) for the first time, this time excited to get back into the swing of things with Necalli.

Maybe it’s just my ass execution but i’m having trouble linking the Cr. Medium Punch in the Bread and Butter combo ( Standing Fierce, MK Stomp, -Cr. Med Punch- into whatever EX stomp, Berserker slash or EX berserker slash) I keep getting pushed out or blocked. Any visual indicators or advice to look for to get the link? How big of a window is it? Tips on doing it? Seems like a pretty bad thing to drop.(huge punish when meterless and I suck at hit confirms :/)

After you do the combo enough times, not only will you land it more consistently but you will be able to recognize whether or not you’re in range for the Cr. MP well ahead of time. Most people will be expecting the Cr. MP xx whatever combo ender but if you know you’re out of range for it, dash up command grab works against all but the biggest of mashers. It just boils down to practice and repetition.

basic tip for learning links: go into training mode and set the dummy to block after the first hit. practice your combo, if your c.mp doesnt come out you pressed the button too early, if the dummy blocks you pressed to late. that’s how you learn the timing.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Few hours of beating on Ken(poor guy) and I can bread and butter into meter or meterless and stomp into ultra like a boss. Although the timing on light stomp and heavy(2 frames, right?) are still tough for me. Probably will stick to getting my super from that trusty medium stomp for a while. That dash up command grab is a pretty clutch tip btw, especially with V-trigger active.

oh shit good tip lol