Nathan Drake Thread - Barrel Edition

Thanks for running tests on that, I’ll think of someway to incorporate that info. As for tranq, I listed a couple resets into super. Again, if they’re tranq-ed in the air, they can’t double jump, but they can still air dodge and attack. And if they caught onto the reset, you can always mix it up with ground/air magnum

Just a note, even if you don’t have the run n’ gun loop down, it’s still an extremely viable zoning pattern to use on stages if you need to put distance between you and your opponent. As for the Tranq Gun, I’ll use it once in a while to fuck with my opponent’s momentum. This works extremely well against Raiden, as many who are used to the Tranq Gun will do something unsafe, thinking you’re setting up a magnum, or level 1.

Also, you can get that 158 AP combo in a corner, you just need to delay the last forward square by just a few extra frames.

Tranq gun into super 1 is usually a free kill on most people. Alot of smart players will just roll dodge it, but sadly it works for me about 70% of the time when playing online lol plus on teams tranq can e qicked useful for setting up super kills. Drake has alot of crazy good tools, I think its just crazy Kratos up square can knock away his roof falling move. like, dafuqq. ;-;

You can j.1 into lvl 1 if you meaty it on their wakeup. If they roll tech instead you can react with the Superman and get you a nice chunk of meter or a reset. If they delay wakeup you get to throw a barrel out for free and they won’t punish you.

If you get a knockdown with them close to a wall or an angular plane that makes the barrel roll backwards, you should always throw one out, then back hop and j.1.

-If they try to roll towards you and kick them into the barrel and then lvl 1 as the barrel trip/explodes.
-If they wakeup blocking, barrel is on the way and you can try to run up throw or back off with run n gun stopping to toss out an angled hand grenade in case they chase.
-If they roll backwards, likely they roll into the barrel and eat it meaty. Free lvl 1 from the ensuing trip/explosion.
-If they delay tech, you can just chuck hand grenades and force them to make a move eventually or eat an explosion into lvl 1.

If you get a knockdown with no walls, Drake can’t capitalize too hard since barrel isn’t a thing to worry about anymore. Usually I’ll just run away from them with bullets stopping to throw a grenade here or there. If I have lvl 1 I’ll try for the j.1 setup but it’s really easy to just delay tech it once you see Drake above you. Hopefully you have a teammate with better oki like Raiden or Tooth and just get a knockdown for them and pick the opposing partner off from bothering their oki setup.

Long gone are the days when I’d catch rolls with j.d3 and ruin combos with ceiling splat.

Drake has tools for everything.

Getting a lot of use out of AK into cover. Not just the loops, but 2,f,3 into cover. From here the wall will absorb anything short of supers, throws, or item moves, so you can use cover 1 > cover 2 b to get 40 ap if they try to stand and attack up close, further away you can go into the 2,b loop. You also have the option to jump cancel out of cover into whatever, j.d1 up close and barrel/j.2 further out. Very useful in FFA since using 2,f rifle butt has too much cooldown.

How are you guys using u3? I pretty much only use it for aerial movement after I’ve already used j.2.

So what exactly am I aiming for with Drake, specifically in 2v2? Keep out spam with barrels, aairs, magnums, and AK and if they get close rifle butt them out of there? that’s my gameplan so far with Day 1 Drake and it is working a bit but I feel a little dirty. I guess the payoff is that unlike a Sack or Ratchet to get your big AP you gotta get in there, and he has the 1s to do it.

And how fast is N.2 startup compared to N.1 startup? Essentially, should I be using N.2 to punish the same way I’d usually use my jab because it is a more consistent reward, or is it too slow to punish things punishable by jab? Naturally I D.1 or S.1 when I have the chance for more AP but I mean the fastest instances.

Does any Drake players have any advice against Sly and Sackboy? Magnum shots go over Sly and Sackboy can reflect barrels. Sly also has that ridiculously fast counter move so so far I’ve been just resorting to waiting patiently for that opening but perhaps I’m overlooking something.

Air down circle is Drake’s most reliable way to deal with Sackboy’s traps. That being said, it’s heavily punishable, so try to catch him throwing a projectile before you do it. Generally, your goal is to make sure he can’t get set up reliably, so he’s basically spending the whole match running away. Make sure to take out his teleporters when you can.

Sly…I dunno. I’m working on that

Thank you Dopples. I’ll try to utilize that move more wisely than I previously have.

Yeah, just be careful about it. He can do the up grapple to hit you if he sees it coming.