Nakoruru Strategies and Matchups

Since most strategies and tricks are matchup-dependent, it makes sense to group the two together. Discuss anything useful in actual matches here, from specific tactics, to character-dependent move counters, to overall gameplans. The more specific you get, the better. It would be greatly appreciated if you took the time to test out everything you plan on saying in training mode to make sure that it works and to provide some numbers for stuff like damage and dizzy amount.

Other than that, try not to piss anyone off or start any flame wars.

Key things to know with Nakoruru:

1) She has the best low jump game in CvS2.
Quite easily, I may add. Not only does she have the fastest low jump, she also has a downward angled attack with huge priority on it. Nakoruru’s low jump roundhouse is pretty much impossible to uppercut on reaction unless you drop everything else in your game and concentrate on just that. Even then, it’s still really damn hard to do without pumping the motions beforehand. Besides the low jump roundhouse, she also has a pretty fat cross up with low/regular jumping short.

2) She can combo easily off of her low jump.
This is huge. Nakoruru can harass opponents with low jump roundhouse, and if you see that one of them hit you can easily combo off of it on reaction. Low jump rh, standing jab xx slide is really easy and puts some real meat behind those low jump rhs.

3) She can combo easily off of her low shorts.
3 low shorts into upward slide thingie is incredibly easy and will combo even from max range on every character. However, damage isn’t so hot and set ups afterwards are kinda meh. It’s not even safe against tech roll grooves when they’re cornered. However, linking low strong after the low shorts is a really easy 3 frame link. Combo into strong or fierce slide afterwards for good damage and VERY good set ups after.

Combine the above three points, and you’re already getting somewhere with Nakoruru. More later.

I love playing her for her mixups on waking opponents. People go crazy all the time because they shouldn’t be able to tell what you’re going to do next as Nako is litterally all over the screen.
Her ability to guard crush with her walking jabs is very nice.
People tend to make mistakes when they have a flashing guard bar.
Sometimes I’ll cross up and do a few of those if they block, but not too many if they have a dragonpunch. Against certain characters that lack 2 frame attacks, there’s almost nothing they can do against that move when properly used.

It’s not really about not getting hit. Think Akuma and apply so much pressure that the opponent will be more into just getting you off his ass.

Nak’s kick throw and cl.roundhouse look very similar to each other. After landing a few kick throws (the throw you should always be using), go in close for a cl.roundhouse. If you land it, the other guy will think they’ll fall down like the kick throw, but instead you’ll have the opportunity for a overhead or throw. Once they get smart and figure it out, start using low hits after the cl.hk to make sure they stay seated.

The ground blade slide is a risky move, and you should use it at random sparingly. The tactical use for it is to do the jab version of it from a little less than full screen away. They’ll easily react to it and block low. You’ll stop short of them. 90% of the time, they’ll attempt to punish on reaction, and you’ll have an easy d.roundhouse XX hcb2+P.

If Nakoruru doesn’t move for 7 seconds, Mamahaha comes down to rest on her shoulder. The thing is, this time still counts down between rounds. You might notice that at the beginning of a round after you win, Maha begins to come down as the fight command flashes. This takes away any firebird or birdhop opportunities you might want to use to open the round with. To prevent this, hold down Start while the next round loads to skip the character intros and jump right into action, keeping Maha in the air and all your starting options open.

I’ve seemed to notice that about the bird as well. I’m starting to work w/ Naku a lot. It’s always as if you have to watch the bird too. In order for her to do any of her supers, birdhops, or mamahaha she must have the bird directly above her (which sometimes creates a disadvantage).

I find naka vs guile in her favor, especially if you have her in A-groove, seeing as b,d/b,d+Fp can be combo’d into itself on him and
chun-li. She can cross him up for days, then again that might be a lot of other characters as well.

Something like, activate, go under sonic boom with, [b,d/b,d+Fp]x7,
C.Fpx2, whiff lk, [Sj.Lpx5 straight up]. 7000+

Fight On:nunchuck:

I always play Nakoruru in C or N mode with small combos like jumping HK, standing HP and qcf + MP at first hit, going under fireballs with B, DB, D + P and without any super, I think is the best for her.

Her gave is always and has always been about pressure. I’ve been using her since Samurai Shodown 1. The only downside to this is character with strong anti-air moves that can catch you out of no where.

I use her in N and I abuse the quick standing jabs and low lk’s. Plus, she has an amazing short jump hk that catches people when they flinch thinking she’s doing a regular jump because of the speed of her jumps.

I always follow every throw by sending Mamahaha which catches them if they don’t block when getting up.

Her Kamui Risse (b,d,db + P) deflects fireballs back faster than they arrive and you can usually follow it up with an Annu Mutsube (b,db,d + P).

Against people who like to abuse you low as you wake up, Nakoruru can easily grab onto Mamahaha (d,db,b + K) at wake up and abuse it with a quick dive bomb (d,db,b + P). You can also wake up super hcbx2 + K just as easy.

What would you say Nakoruru’s ultimate goal is? From all the info on these forums, I’d say getting in and mixing it up.

Forgot where I read them, I know they’re on these forums somewheres. Her best mixups following that MP Slide are her corpse hop, her crossup LK and her crossup roll.
The only grooves of course that give her that are A and C.
Of those two grooves, without question A is her best.

Down the line, P is probably next because of her short jump and parrying at the loss of the crossup roll. In fact Parrying may make up everything with this Nakoruru. It can be argued that in P-Groove Parrying makes all the difference. Well, this Nako can be lethal because of the threats of Parrying and her mixup combined.

So her best two grooves are a toss up between P and A. A for easy damage following activation, and a reset that can lead up to 10,000 damage, or Parrying, for a completely different animal, playing the whole match studying the opponent and ultimately mixing it up to death once you’ve figured them out. The shortjump HK will help there strongly.

Ah… if only A had shortjump.

She’s pretty good in K groove too but the problem is, for some odd reason I find that she’s just better with to roll. So overall I always used to find that A, C, and N were pretty good b/c you could do cheap stuff with her roll. However P is a good b/c with her mids and short jumps. However, you really need to know what you’re doing.

Against Nakoruru

What is the best way to beat a good nakoruru player?

Nako is still very annoying but she’s been toned down A LOT since CVS. Most Nakoruru players always spam her amne mitsube (where is slides down) and her bird attacks. You’d think that turtling would get you somehwere but she still can take lots of chip damage and can be fast. So, it’s good to watch when to block high and low. Most of her bird supers (cheap, especially in K and P groove) won’t get to you. Her kick super requires the bird to be right above her and her to hit you directly. Her punch super, you can easily just predict it and jump over it. I honestly, don’t know. It really depends on the characters and grooves you use. Cross ups work good against her. I could probably answer this better if you were groove and character specific.

Like Ran Phan says, it depends on character usage and groove…
If she lands her BnB…
She should try to go for her mixups.

If she goes for a d.LKx2, d.MP xx qcd+LP
She can follow that up with an excellent normal jump
crossup LK.

If d.LKx2, d.MP xx qcd+MP,
She can follow up with a crossup dash, the crossup LK,
or a crossup roll (walk back like a bit for that)
-In my experience crossup dash is like an excellent way to
land a d.HK xx hcbx2+P Super.

If any of those are blocked, she should be using her d.LK’s in those mixups, she can go straight to walking jabs and hope for a counter-hit s.LP xx LP slide, or go for a tick throw.

Watch for a meaty df+HP, if it connects she can easily combo to a s.LP xx LP Slide, which sets up the normal jump LK, which leads to a MP Slide, which resets the mixups… If you block the df+HP she can easily go to her walking LP patterns again.

Um…
A-Nak’s reset, well, I dunno if this is it, but this is what I use… Activate, d.MP, df+HP(6-9 hits)xx qcb+LK, qcb+HP (if you do this too fast it DOES combo, so keep that in mind going for the reset) immediately combo to df+HP then go for j.HKxN, qcbx2+P. That does like… 10,000 or so, as an R2.
I wouldn’t roll through the reset, she’ll likely recover before you and that df+HP she was going for will go the other direction and hit you in recovery.

Well, the reset is just her overhead, so go for a dp if you’re fast enough. Or fuck, if you’re like Sagat I’d jump and hit his best punch air-to-air, knock her ass off the bird.

A good Nako won’t slide at random. Keep in mind if you’re Guile or whatever and she’s caught on to your pattern and is sliding your booms she’s not being random.

Fuck. Just Dragonpunch her when she jumps in with Sagat. A good fierce tigeruppercut will stop her jumpins.
Blanka can just electricity for anti-air.
Her air-to-air game is good, but basically what I’m saying is those perfect anti-airs work against her.

I think she can punish safefalls following her MP slide, with another MP slide.

She’s highly vulnerable to RC’s like Blanka Balls or Hard edges or the like if she goes for a throw and follows it up with a hcb+P.

Damn… What else?

Good luck trying to punish her Low Jump Roundhouse.

Vs Chun
In my matches against Chun, j.LK, j.MK don’t work for shit against Chun’s j.HP. I think her j.HP will beat Chuns, anyone here verify that at all?

Otaku’s Nak is sick. If there is no footage on the TS5 DVD, i’ll see if it is okay with lay to post some up.

I love using Nakoruru but the main thing she lacks is reach. she is a good rush character. i love her Low kicks and Low punches easy combos. the low mamahara is very useful when you face people that like to jump in or players dash at a far distance. my aboslute worse match with nakoruru is Balrog (vega) because her anti air still gets hit when he does a jumping high kick plus he out reaches her by an inch.

Im not absolutely sure, but I believe Vega also has a hard time with anti-air against short jump nakoruru. Of course P Vega can parry that tho. RC rolling ball also works but he wont always have charge.

I’m pretty sure he has a problem anti-airing her period.

I need help with Turttling She has no fireball/slash like hibiki so…help

You really should’nt be turtling with Nako, you’re going to loose.