My thoughts on Gief SSF4

thats actualy GOOD ! trade+EXGH is a good one :wink:

yea man gief in super is essentially better with a shorter jump…i feel that his footsies is a lot improved

sure theres less damage but thats all around…i still feel like he is the same gief in sf4 and my normal tricks and combos work just fine

but yes indeed the c lk combo does seem a lil iffy…i guess they got scared of giefs c lk combos???

otherwise…hes just as good as in sf4…

one thing i did notice is his j mk still makes him drop faster but its not activated as early as we did back in sf4 but its still there so yeah…he still has his lil dive kick thing goign on

His empty jump to avoid normal AA is pretty useless now. But with the better pokes he doesn’t need to jump as much and the Seth’s jumping FP loses to PPP way more often and the recovery on his teleport makes getting away for free a little less free. U2 seems somewhat useful against Seth as well, but I might stick with U1 for counter stun punishment. Cr. MP works much better as an AA in the Akuma match up now and the damage nerf hit him hard as well. I haven’t played much Sagat or Blanka yet, but I don’t imagine either being horrible. In the end with all of these great new characters and buffed old characters I doubt Sagat, Seth and Akuma will be as popular to play anyway. I can’t wait for the first big event I go to with the Gief. :smiley:

Hakan was really fun, but horrible.

I did Hakan’s trails last night. Yeah, he is… pretty horrible. Unless there’s something I’m not seeing. His normals are just ass. They are sooo slow. They’re slightly faster with oil. One might be able to argue he’s on par with gief when oiled up. But without oil, you pretty much can’t do anything. Right now, he just seems like a much worse version of gief to me. Hopefully he’ll seem better once people start to figure out how he’s supposed to work.

How exactly did gief’s footies get better? I don’t really see the mp moving him forward. So cr.mk is faster? I never rely on cr.mk for anything besides moving under tiger shots. I guess if it’s faster, I won’t eat as many low tiger shots if I’m late on going under the high ones. I haven’t gotten a chance to try it out yet but does Sagat’s st.HK still beat out cr.HK or is cr.HK’s hit box lower now? That was one of my biggest gripes with the st.HK. The fact that it beats out your cr.HKs unless you’re at max distance.

@Hakan
his normals hafe GREAT hitboxes his slide is the fastest punishment and distance closing tool you can get and he can CANCEL HIS DASH with NORMALS(oiled) its almost like a parry!! he is great but hard to master i think but he plays totaly diffrent to gief and you can not play him like god old gief

@Gief

i didnt notice much diffrence from his jump can anybody explain the diffrence? shortjump is althou still in

one of my main combo’s splash light kick and then ppp wiffs if the guy is ducking…

There are waaaaaay better things to do if you land a splash than lk xx P.Lariat. No offense, but that is just the way it is.

You don’t even have to try hard to beat saggot now. His forward roundhouse misses while you are standing and between sagat’s altered hitboxes and zangief’s stand medium punch pushing him slightly more forward saggot has a much harder time keeping Zangief out. Also more anti airs missed me when I empty jump in but at this point i attribute it to the saggot player not being used to zangief’s new jump arc, but at the same time i believe they made saggot’s model a little bit shorter and the way the SF4 engine works the hitboxes are tied to the limbs on the model. Envision having a boxing glove on and the whole boxing glove is a hitbox like on the game, if your arm becomes shorter then that in effect makes your hitbox shorter. All the hitboxes in the sf4 engine are tied to limbs like that so if you change a model without changing each hitbox then attacks will be affected.

Gief seems about the same to me with a few slight differences to his normals. He’s probably still one of the most powerful characters damage wise and probably the best grappler. He’s feels good to me

Gief’s standing MK seems faster. His standing HK doesn’t seem to go as far. His jump arc seems lower and shorter (faster).

Jumping knees (d+LK) beats out Chun’s EX SBK pretty nicely. :wink:

Actually his jump is the opposite. It’s longer and floatier than in four.

Pretty much Gief is the same, just hit with a health nerf like many characters in Vanilla.

He’ll do better in tournaments b/c with the new characters, the liklihood of running into Sagat/Akuma/Seth went down a whole lot.
He’ll also be great as a counter character against probably Dudley and Cody… not to mention his old good matchups of Balrog, Rufus, and Abel.

Dhalsim, Chun, and Guile went from 5-5’s to solid 4-6’s easily.

I only had the chance to play a few matches online. Also, I haven’t played vanilla SF4 in WEEKS, so that could also be it. :lol:

Adding in Ultra II to your cross-up shenanigans = LOL

Dude, I just got schooled tonight. I need to get use to the jump arch. He’s so floaty now. It just screams please AA me. And the cr.lk bnb is definitely harder to hit now. The whole timing of the game just feels off. Hopefully I’ll eventually adjust to it. I think st.HK is slightly faster or at least more priority because I was tagging Sagat’s st.HK with mine a lot easier it seems.

I suck at using ultra 2 by the way. I have no idea how to use it effectively. I can’t believe I went from being decent to just awful again just like that. Alright, maybe not awful but I definitely don’t feel comfortable.

C.LK link is the same. I was even hitting it on Xbox live.
Sagat’s S.HK got nerfed.

Ultra 2 is pure gimmicks. At least you can punish some things with U1.

the c lk is definitely different…its not as easy to hit a c lk 3x as it was in sf4

it can be done with practice but it is definitely a different timing in super

Gief is now ASS CHEEKS.

You’re psyching yourself out. It’s the same. I hit it constantly.

I’m white. If a white guy can do it, anyone can.

False. He’s still the best grappler. He may be tied w/ Abel.

i dont think we will have a disadvantage with chun guile and sim in this one when i was playing some yesterday really didnt notice a huge difference with fighting them

Anyone else notice that lk links are 1 frame now. :frowning:

At least the damage nerf isn’t that noticable if u use the lks in the BnB

Chun got a much better anti air normal in DF+LK which can combo into U2 if she uses it on gief (U1 may still be better)
Guile got faster sonic booms, sonic boom->backfist, and a reversal that can be FADC’d into Ultra as opposed to nothing.
Dhalsim does more damage on normals and his Ultra/Super combos.

These were in 5-5 fights where they had to chip away at gief’s health for 70-90 seconds to win.
Gief got a floatier jump that’s easier to AA, a general damage nerf, and a life reduction.

How could the match NOT be 4-6 now?

To be honest, I expect this trio of characters to be pretty high tier regardeless.

I still don’t think this is true at all. I was hitting them all day.
For the LK’s to be one frame links, they’d have to nerf low short to 4 frames startup.
Easiest way to test this is to try low strong->low short. If it works, c.short is still 3 frames.