My Match Versus MCZ| Daigo Umehara

This was a casual match I had against Daigo Umehara
If I could any tips on how I could have handled the matchup differently, I Would appreciate it

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vYf5mhnpyQ0

Check your positioning, thats the biggest flaw you made in this match.
You need to be closer to his c.mk so you can go in and poke yourself and make him belive that you are in range, when you not.
To be able to whiff punish him (You want to stand 1mm outside of where his c.mk would hit you STANDING) if you sit block at that range he will always hit you.

Be more confident, but that comes from experience.

Meter management, look what daigo does.
What does his character do? what is it good at? and when?
zoning with explosive power, explosive pwr, and when? when he got 2 bars.

Early game daigo, sets the pace by checking with his dash do you poke? can he play aggresive? ( yes ) and then he falls back to basics building his 2 bars with his fireballs and zoning you with easy DPs and c.mk xx fireballs untills he gets that moment.
Though he failed to capitalize on his moments Srk fadc faildash.

So you need to play the same pace’d game throwing fireballs and gaining meter, trying to get some good trades or whiff punishes for an opening or cathing him offguard.
You noticed early on that you can’t NJ or tatsu over a fireball, he went straight for walkup sweep.

and he got information that you where defensive when you jumped over a fireball and crouch blocked (fear) and he threw you.

Thats about what i got from watching it once.
Biggest thing is the positioning, you got some dmg due to the characters insane dmg with some gimmicky stuff.

<<3

Thank you for the constructive criticism
I was a bit timid and i didn’t really do enough to adjust and adapt to his tactics

First off, I’m gonna give you props for playing these top players. Biggest thing you need when playing top players is confidence, even if your timing is off for setups and whatever else; you must still have the confidence to follow through and press the offense. You respected both KBrad and Daigo so much that every time you got into a position to press the offense, you would back off and reset the neutral which is obviously not doing you any good. This confidence is built from playing enough in high pressure sitations so good job on going to Final Round and getting that experience, keep going brah.

Second thing, you sweep way too much; sweep is typically a bad option because cr.mk (which can be hitconfirmed into dp) is a much better option most of the time: that applies to poking and whiff punishing.

Third, be aware of when you should and shouldn’t neutral jump over a fireball. You obviously saw that Daigo was able to sweep you when you neutral jumped his fireball, the range at which you neutral jumped was too close. I, personally, would have blocked that fireball instead.

Nothing else to say much, I just think your nerves took away from your overall skill. You obviously see the faults you made in the matches, good luck with everything! :slight_smile: