My Hsien-ko Hypothesis

I posted about this earlier, but I wanted to give it its own thread so others can share their own experiences if they feel so inclined and bold as to tinker with this setup:

I think Hsien-ko can actually be a solid character, but you need Clockwork-like execution to do it. I messed around with this concept for a while in training mode, and then took it to real matches, and I was very successful, but it’s just too hard for me execution-wise (even without the bad netcode, I’m just not there), and if I wanted to really make this work, it would be a Dormammu-less team, which I simply do not do - I wish Dormammu had a meter building assist, it would fit him well:
Wesker (Samurai Edge)/Hsien-ko (Henkyo Ki)/Morrigan (Dark Harmonizer)

Your goal is to delay with Wesker at the start while calling Dark Harmonizer to build a few bars of meter. If you can land a combo, that’s great, but it’s not necessary. Hsien-ko uses Henkyo-ki because, as great as Senpu Bu is, it’s also very risky, and she takes massive damage while doing it. Henkyo Ki, on the other hand, has very few active frames, and protects itself very well from projectiles. You will be using Dark Harmonizer most of the time anyway, and your goal is to dominate with Hsien-ko on point.

If you get a hit off, try to TAC Hsien-ko in to start the fun with her. If not, try to create a situation where the raw tag would be relatively safe. You want to get Hsien-ko in the game with ~3 bars of meter stored up. Once Hsien-ko is in, use Rimoukon, and start to pressure your opponent. Rimoukon’s duration allows you to make ~3 Dark Harmonizer calls, which give you 90% of a bar of meter. You cannot build meter during Rimoukon, which means you will lose 10% of your net meter every time you Rimoukon if you go straight from one to the other.

One of your goals is to fix the gap in Rimoukons. The best way to do this is to ensure, as much as possible, that your opponent is in a blockstring, and your normals build a little meter from the blockstring. At the end of your blockstring, cancel your normal into Henkyo Ki, and then cancel Henkyo Ki into Rimoukon, and continue applying pressure.

Why Wesker? Samurai Edge allows two things:

1. Unblockables. Hsien-ko has a great air pressure game, because you can jump, air walk, and then immediately cancel into two j.Ms. Hsien-ko is one of the few characters that can stay in the air without entering flight mode, which allows you to properly time the Samurai Edge.

2. Relaunches. Hsien-ko does crap damage without hypers, and you won’t have access to anything but Rimoukon unless you want to kill a character. Plus, since Rimoukon does not last long at all, when you do hit your opponent, you are almost guaranteed that Rimoukon will run out mid-combo. The ability to relaunch extends the period of time during which you do not need Rimoukon up, and thus also extends your meter gain from normals that hit your opponent.

Why Morrigan? Dark Harmonizer can be used more than Bloom. That’s the primary reason. Other than that, Morrigan is a more solid anchor, and with this strategy, if you screw up, you are guaranteed to have a ton of meter to spend on Astral Vision. Morrigan also makes great use of Wesker’s Samurai Edge. You don’t even necessarily need to anchor with Morrigan; if you want, you can put Wesker in the back at some point if you are more comfortable with him.

Why this strategy?

1. Hsien-ko is actually a good character in this strategy. I have come to believe that Capcom balanced Hsien-ko around what she can do with Rimoukon. She is the only character in the game with an ability anything like this, and people seem content with using it to buff her assists only.

2. Your assist calls are always 100% safe with a hyper armored Hsien-ko. The concept of “punishing” you simply does not exist. Anything your opponent does, you simply walk through, and your opponent pays a much more severe price than you did in eating a little damage while walking through the attack.

3. Your opponent cannot call assists, for the simple reason that your opponent has no way to pressure Hsien-ko. Even if your opponent wants to call Tron or Haggar, this does not stop your onslaught.

4. Remember, Hsien-ko has command grabs. If you don’t want to use Samurai Edge for unblockables, grab your opponent instead. I honestly do not remember if you can Samurai Edge to OTG from your grabs, command or not, but I would not be surprised.

5. It’s fun and unique! No one has tried this, and it really works, and I’m not even good with Hsien-ko or execution. I think if someone took the time to master this setup, they would be surprised at how effective it can be.

Ending Comments:
Don’t expect to destroy your opponent’s entire team with just Hsien-ko. If your opponent is bold, he will make you take damage for every approach you make, and you just need to accept that as part of this strategy. You will generally need to clean up with Wesker and Morrigan. Every time you block, you place yourself in a position where your opponent can keep you in blockstun, which means you are losing Rimoukon as well as Dark Harmonizer time. Sure, you probably want to block a Shinkuu Hadoken, but not something like Sentinel Force. I am not sure if this is actually viable at high level competitive play, because it does have its problems still, but for those who love Hsien-ko, and wish she were worth more than Rimoukon followed by Senpu Bu assist spam, I recommend you give this a try. If you feel so inclined, you can always replace Wesker with any other character that has an OTG assist, or use Amaterasu in place of Morrigan.

Saying Armor HsienKo assist is 100% safe is a bit off though.

She eats beam supers and each hit doesn’t get scaled, so she can potentially get hit 10x harder than a regular assist.

-Dammit_rab

Do not forget that this team is flexible. Yes, the goal is to get that beautiful, permanently armored Hsien-ko on the screen full-time, but if the match-up makes this a difficult scenario, you can still play this as a traditional “Hsien-ko assist *****” team. Instead of calling Morrigan at every opportunity, you’re just calling Hsien-ko, and you can always swap your assist to Senpu Bu if the opposing team calls for it. It’s not the strongest Wesker team, but you still have mix-ups from his teleports and Hsien-ko’s assist, and Morrigan can also be played on point - this is a pretty solid team for backing her up on point.

Ideally, you use a mixture of Anki Hou H, which goes straight up and reaches superjump heights, f.H, which covers a nice vertical angle, and air throws to keep your opponent from simply superjumping away from you forever and trying to wear you down from afar. Ideally, you are TACing Hsien-ko in, and so you do not have to start out in a situation where you are chasing your opponent down from a full screen away. That may not sound satisfying, but no team is perfect, and I still think this is a good way to make Hsien-ko a viable character.

I’m talking about calling assists while she is armored and on point; I know how very dangerous it is for her to be called carelessly as an assist while armored.

yeah, since you first brought up the idea a while ago I’ve been using this strategy but I’ve been using leilei on point from the start and I actually use dorm I can’t bring myself to use wesker.

just to explain my choice of dorm; he can actually build a decent amount of meter if you’re willing to not spend it (but I like to use liberation (c2 d1) combos, the main reason is I really hate how effective runaway can be if they manage to get out of blockstun so I use dark hole to hold them while I armor up if I can’t get a knockdown to armor up. Dorm is also good because I don’t really need to use an assist with him so leilei won’t take assist damage and morrigan is free to give me more meter while I keep them away or corner pressure them

I’m not flawless in my mindset for this strat yet, like sometimes I get carried away and forget to armor up but still think I’m armored up so I’ll do stuff expecting not to get stuffed but end up dead or close to it lol.

the use of an otg assist does make sense to me so maybe a keep away deadpool could also build a sufficient amount of meter with dark harmonizer until you can armor up so I may try that out plus if I wanted to I could dhc glitch into leilei as well.

I have to state it again runaway really messes me up with this approach because you waste a meter and you lose all your momentum but I just thought i suppose if they’re hell bent on running away or flying up to the corner I suppose with dorm or deadpool not so much wesker I could just hard switch back to them and zone while I build more meter to counter the runaway.

You can zone pretty well with Wesker, which is part of why I chose him - Samurai Edge can do a fine job of applying pressure from a distance, you just can’t capitalize off it (you don’t want to use meter anyway, so that’s fine). I think substituting Deadpool in is a reasonable choice. I tried this strategy with Dormammu on point, and I felt it lacked the damage to justify the setup, which is why I switched to Wesker.

It just frustrates the hell out of me when I’m attempting to zone out Wesker and Gong just suddenly decides not to work against Samurai Edge. But I did notice that Hsien-Ko’s regular backwards movement will cause bullets to pass right under her.

I posted this on your GameFAQs thread, but I’ll post it here too just for the sake of keeping the discussion going.

Ah, I remember this idea from a little while back. I don’t like to be a naysayer, but it still sounds too gimmicky and reliant on just keeping Lei Lei alive for it to work. Even if it did prove to be effective, there are much easier to pull off options that provide greater rewards in both the short and long run, i.e. simply running Wolverine or Magneto. It still sounds fun though, and I wouldn’t mind giving it a try just to infuriate people who would get mad at being beaten by the “worst character in the game.”

If keeping Dark Force up is Capcom’s intention for balancing Hsien-Ko, then their dev team is daft. Even with a meager five seconds of hyper armor, she still needs a lot of help closing in on her opponent (who’ll just be running away and in which case, maybe you could run an approach assist like HIDDEN MYSSYLEZ) and once she does get there, she can’t put out much damage. But this is all my conjecture. Thank you again Karst for taking your time to get creative and share with the community.

Huh, I didn’t know that. Does this mean she can duck under them too if you react quickly enough?

She doesn’t even have to duck. Her standing animation is low enough to have gunshots go right over her, with the exception of the Magic Bullet. Even better, all of her standing attack animations - especially jab that can be rapid fired - all pass well under gunshots, including the Magic Bullet.

This can be a great offense/defense against Wesker. Predict his gunshot and just start mashing standing jab. If he teleports in on you, combo him. Just watch for overheads!

(The Magic Bullet is one of Wesker’s bullets that seemingly has a considerably larger hitbox than his normal shots. It seems to be every 4th bullet he fires, but there could also be something else that triggers it.)

I did not know Wesker had this Magic Bullet to be honest…He gets more and more silly as we play the game lol