MvCI Meta and Tier Discussion

Iron man and nova have a good shout, morrigan too

Carol. Olaf is already calling her ā€œStormnetoā€. Though she might veer into MvC2 Magneto/Storm territory with all the tools she has (auto-fly, command throw, armor install, etc.)

This is just my theory, but I think damage scales the more times you use a single move in a combo. For example Zero Lightning loops does almost zero damage at max scaling, or Time Storm doing H x n scales hella hard, compared to a combo that perhaps has a wider variation of attacks in it, as a loop and infinite prevention system.

Lightning Loop as we know it in this game is a bad example though since the only known setup uses Million Dollars, which already burns through most of the scaling.

Meanwhile, Morriganā€™s j.HP airdash loop doesnā€™t seem to scale that hard.

Even if the game is reset heavy or prone to resetsā€¦ itā€™s unlikely it will be as crazy as skullgirls because skullgirls has no tech flip in midair at all. That means the opponent is basically at your mercy pretty much all the time. Marvel having flip outs makes making resets much harder since you have to deal with varying midair techs that are invincible on startup and can go in 3 directions.

Maybe it will be more about ground combos into crossups/non crossup tag insā€¦ maybe. Time will tell.

Oh hey, we can talk about Skullgirls again without getting into a fight because whatā€™s his face has been banned.

But yes, I see us doing a lot more stuff on the ground here, because of that, and because tag ins come in from the ground. Itā€™s going to put a bigger premium on air to ground combos, and when combined with other mechanics, define how we extend and optimize our combos, not just in training mode, but in the middle of a match.

I mean, if some form of tag into DUD jump (or DUD jump into tag, into DUD jump even) is the most basic form of grounded reset, then thatā€™s going to affect how you tag mid combo, since you the more you do it, the longer the cooldown becomes. Thatā€™s on top of other considerations such as grounded undizzy, HSD, and combo limits (1 OTG, 1 wallbounce). I think itā€™ll lend the game a certain more ā€œfreeformā€ quality similar to Skullgirls (and MvC2) that I felt was somewhat diminished in 3 with guaranteed TODs (and not being able to TOD could be fixed by a TAC).

Ultron is a character I consider top tier already. He has full screen beans, tridashes, (flight?), durable short range projectile similar to dark hole, his own command grab, his own assistsā€¦ seems capable as a point and support character.

Captain Marvel and Nova are definitely upper tier. Ulton has more tools than them so itā€™s hard to say they are as good as him. But are still likely top tier minus the full screen beams (Captain Marvel may have one but Phuck Dat Bich- havenā€™t messed with her since Civil War 2).

Iron Man is definitely better than in 3- if he has better dashes than he did in that game than he is high if not top tier. Hawkeye has also improved too and is definitely a high tier unless other characters have similar tools**

Though removing assists has placed the onus on the point characters capability on point, I still rate characters that can dominate the neutral from all ranges (footsies to full screen to the air) and can take advantage of the tag mechanics from all situations (from mix ups to given tags off fullscreen beams).

The gems can also make a character better.

I think characters like Chun Li, Ryu and Frank West are good once theyā€™re in (or leveled up). But without assists, donā€™t really have a way of getting in unless their opponent picks characters that donā€™t possess the tools to keep them out i.e have no beams or canā€™t put hitboxes around the screen- basically, characters like them.

**-It seems like the tiers will be more condensed. Removing assists means a characters support capability isnā€™t as big a factor in how good they are. Characters have also been given new moves and tools to help them in neutral. And as they all have access to gems, so it seems the game may be more balanced in terms of characters capability.

Nah Morriganā€™s done for the night. She canā€™t flight cancel he soul fists. She doesnā€™t have the mobility and full screen capabilities of Ultron or Ironman; mobility isnā€™t as good as a Marvel or Nova.

I was under the impression that Captain MarvelStormneto had more tools than Ultron, at least based on Olafā€™s notes. Beams, flight, really good command normals with auto fly, command grabs, Lightning Attack that you can loop out of, armor install that gives her more usable armor than Nemesis, etc.

She might do. But I hate her from the comics so iIwouldnā€™t say she was the best even if she was. Iā€™m not making no concerted efforts to look into her. Will find out about her when people post about her, pick her in matches or body me with her when my dismissal of her leaves me clueless about her play.

Basic impression seems to be that sheā€™s the one who the whole functions thing applies to. Take functions from Storm and Magneto and put them in one character.

CM looks like more of a pseudo big body in addition to her Storm-esque design. Sheā€™s got temporary light armor and command grabs, something the standard rushdown character doesnā€™t have. As far as the whole ā€œstormnetoā€ thing goes, seems like everyone with flight has staircase combos and the like. It leads me to believe that Mags/Storm level movement wasnā€™t dumped onto one character so much as it was attributed to flight in general. Hell, even Thor has a crisp flight mode.

Sheā€™s still got great mobility, good normals good mixups unlike nova ultron and co she has a legit reversal that can be made safe

I just think sheā€™s done as a zoning character though

Her mobility isnā€™t on bpar with other flight and tri-dash characters. Sheā€™s got good normals. But canā€™t get in to use them. Least not in the way characters with better flight and mobility can. She also needs to be in to use her mix-ups- she will be reliant on tag mechanics or just being better than the character sheā€™s against, to dominate and enforce these, than other actual top tiers are. She can be runaway from or kept out now.

Reversals arenā€™t crucial to neutral, particularly when it comes to projectiles or fighting at range.

They nerfed her as a zoning character. But didnā€™t enhance her other capabilities to nowhere near a compensatory extent.

ā€œStormnetoā€ is what Olaf was calling her and he says itā€™s the reason you see a lot of players (e.g. Justin) picking her up. Probably reminds them more of those two than any other character.

She seems to be an easy to use character with a high ceiling and the tools to dominate certain areas. That and it seems sheā€™s got tools that seem like theyā€™re open to further development down the line.

Dash cancelable normals add a lot to her damage. A lot of folks whoā€™ve played the latest builds feel that sheā€™s still strong.

Bullet hell was just one part of what Morrigan was capable of in 3 - itā€™s just that thatā€™s what people latched on to. She had a lot of potential in other areas and it seems they want to draw it out here.

That said, Astral Vision isnā€™t really affected by Gold Pushblock since the clone doesnā€™t necessarily stay at the same distance from the opponent - Soul Fists donā€™t hit at the same time.

Done as a zoning character when theyā€™ve buffed astral visionā€™s timer to twice as long as it was in UMVC3? I dunno.

She officially gets a tool that allows zoning to some degree the instant she activates astral vision. It still has the OP capability of firing a fireball behind the opponent so they can only move backwards in a specific direction automatically keeping them to a zone. Add time storm to that and it basically becomes lockdown on top of zoning. If she shoots in the air like that with time storm soul fists she can basically cover most of the air with a shit ton of soul fists connected flying into the air. Time storm brings the recovery of all of your specials to near zero, so she can cancel soul fists without flight, faster than she could in UMVC3.

With the new mechanics and the fact that astral vision still builds meter on hit, she will likely be in astral vision most of the time sheā€™s in play. High level I donā€™t think youā€™ll ever see Morrigan without astral vision on very often. The activation is back to being the main part of her gameplan. With the game not being as DHC reliant and tag supers basically acting as one meter THCā€™s and sheā€™ll always have meter for Astral.

Combine that with harmonious spear which makes the soul fists build more meter on hit and then throw time, space or mind storm in there and I already see her being one of the best characters. Mind Storm specifically makes things even more nuts as you can just spam other supers and tag supers, then reactivate astral vision towards the end and still have 4 full bars to use with an activation super that builds meter on contact.

http://i.imgur.com/eLdqeHW.jpg

Not sure how useful this mind stone command grab is going to be. Range looks pretty damn small

**Thoughts and potential on current live roster (my first Wall of Marvel)
**Captain America: **Has potential in the new game. Now that everyone can OTG he definitely doesnā€™t have to worry about that problem. He always had some basic good stuff like a fast 4 frame low with range and a DP special that now can be done with down down motion to simplify use in tight situations. DPs werenā€™t hugely relevant in Marvel 3 because they were tough to convert off of in a game where ToDā€™s off stuff you could convert off of ran the game. With the tag system that could change as now DPs could possibly be safe ways to get people off of you and tag into new pressure or potentially a combo. Most likely will still have all of his projectile invincible stuff, but the problem with his projectile invul stuff is that it doesnā€™t cover stuff coming from the air too well.

Also gets a new counter, but counters typically arenā€™t great in fighting games and especially not in Marvel type games. Just a ton of ways to bait stuff like that or put shit on the screen that could screw up his punish. Looks solid, but Captain America has always been solid and thatā€™s where he ends minus Marvel Super Heroes. Donā€™t expect much different here especially considering none of his supers seem to be particularly great for tag pressure. I could see him being strong in Mind Storm with attack and projectile invincible supers and tagging into another character (if they retain the same properties from UMVC3).

Captain Marvel: **Looking to be the Ryu of the Marvel side. The Storm/Magneto function of the game. Looks to have a lot of good stuff on paper. Strong flight/plink dashes, seemingly good buttons (supposedly her air j.HK has crazy priority), a special move activation that allows her to armor through projectiles, obligatory beam super for tag lockdown, a beam, a chase down lightning attack special and top it off the first other 8 way dasher other than Thor that has a command grab. Which automatically makes Thorā€™s command grab less of a niche thing unless his has a lot more range or something else better.

Not entirely sure about what her activation/binary mode super does, but I hear it buffs her damage or something so thatā€™s always good. Good movement, buttons and a beam to negate projectile reflecting? Canā€™t go wrong there. I would say at worst she could be high mid tier and go up from there.

Doctor Strange: **Looking pretty solid this time. Gets some new normals due to the new button system which always helps. Bolts of balthakk now stuns the opponent for free combos into tag that donā€™t seem to scale that much. Gets a new agomotto that works as a proximity bomb which improves his defense a ton almost on his own. With the new tag system he easily looks like heā€™ll be one of the best assist/support characters. Doing one of his specials and then tagging into the next character will give the other character access to a myriad of assists. He was one of those characters in Marvel 3 that would have had more potential if more of his attacks could be used as assists and Marvel infinite opens that up.

Another characters that seems really scary with Mind Storm. Access to near infinite spell of vishantis that can be tagged out of for safety and always haunting people with rings of raggador to reflect their projectiles with a damaging beam. If he isnā€™t top tier on point he will still be better on point than he was in 3 and will very likely be top tier support/assist characer.

Gamora:** Need to see more of her to say for sure, but it seems almost impossible for her to be a bad character. Has a lot of the things you need to be good in Marvel. Good mobility, projectiles that can be used for offense and defense, a sword (nobody in Marvel 3 with a sword was bad), activation super that adds multiple hits to your offense, just a lot of good stuff. Her gun patterns will likely set up a lot of good tag scenarios as well.

Hawkeye:** Looks like heā€™ll be really strong as a support character at the minimum. He already was a good assist character in Marvel 3, but think of all of those projectile patterns that he can now tag off of into a Zero or a Dante or Morrigan and then can turn that into pressure. Another character like Dr.Strange where it may not matter if heā€™s top tier on point if heā€™s always setting up a wall of shit for another to start offense off of. Gimlet seems about as strong as it was before so youā€™ll have to respect Hawkeye with meter.

I see both power and mind storms being strong for him. Power because it would up his damage and his offense now that he can do things like slide into arrow during power storm and you wonā€™t be able to pushblock him at all. Power surge will be good for stopping air offense and wall bounding people into more damage and full screen pushback. Mind Storm because Hawkeye with a ton of gimlets is going to be OD. Plus Hawkeye with a command grab at all sounds scary.

Hulk:** Looking good. New charged unblockable punch attack that seems to have armor on both light and heavy attacks. Has new wall leap to attempt to leap past zoning. Gets access to quite a few new command normals which should up his neutral game. Could be particularly strong in power storm where he can just get more damage than he already has, cantā€™ be pushblocked and will have access to a surge that keeps offense in check. Time of course also because a Hulk that can teleport in on you is super super scary. Space Storm + Hulk = yeah.

Iron Man:** Hmmmā€¦looks solid. I havenā€™t seen anything from him thatā€™s really OD yet, just that heā€™s automatically better in this game than he was in 3. From my playtesting in CEO I couldnā€™t find a way to make him move particiularly well. Not even as well as I could make him move in 3. That could obviously change at launch. His new smart bombs have potential kinda like Cableā€™s grenades that set on screen and force people to think about where they move before they move. Could be particularly strong with certain characters to tag after. His new repulsor ray replaces the repulsor blast. Seems like a forward moving tool hat also acts as a zoning tool like a projectile version of a rekka.

Seems like heā€™ll be a solid support character. None of the stones really particularly stand out to me as great for him, but reality storm has always been said to be the go to storm for zoning based characters.

Nova:** Looks good. Supposedy his dive kick hits overhead now (canā€™t confirm). All of his specials are air ok now which makes him even more relevant in the air. ADDF and ADDB have been improved in speed. Not sure if heā€™ll be the best support character minus beam super tag lockdown stuff, but Iā€™m sure someone else will compiment him extremely well. Time stone to buff his movement and pressure sounds good.

Rocket Raccoon:** Havenā€™t seen or played too much of him to say, but in a game without ToDā€™s his small size will help him survive longer. He most likely doesnā€™t have the abysmally low health he had in 3 also. Groot seems to give him some new options. He could have potential.

SpiderMan: Not looking too bad. Gained a new spider kick special that seems to help him get in and start offense. Supposedly his supers have been weakened a bit, but looks like he has good combos and pressure. If heā€™s as mobile as he was in Marvel 3 he should be in a good spot. Seems like a character that would be good for power stone as heā€™s already very mobile and you could just activate storm and negate pushblock and add to damage.

Thanos:** Doesnā€™t look too bad, but doesnā€™t look too great either. Heā€™s been said to be a mix of characters from different games and has Juggernaut type ground pound moves. Has a slow projectile that he can teleport after, but I think the new auto block system makes that less relevant than it would be unless someone figures something out. Big burly characters like him donā€™t do really great in Marvel unless they also have oppressive offense like Hulk or Haggar. He seems questionable ATM.

Thor:** just from watching him in videos he looks legit now. 8 way air dash character with a command grab is always going to be a threat, but in Marvel his plink movement wasnā€™t quite up there with the other dashers. Now he can really move around, gets some new normals and is in a game that is better for him now that the game isnā€™t as DHC reliant. He can just do his own thing or someone can always bring him in off a tag rather than having to deal with his unsafe supers.

Ultron:** Looking high tier just off the jump. May not be the cheapest character in the game, but easily looking like the Dr.Doom of the game. If you add this guy to your team, it instantly becomes better the way things are looking. One of the only characters in the game with self assists with only a slight set of frames where he poses to keep him vulnerable before they release. Has attacking drones and a drone beam he can call as assist and can also call drone attacks from the air. This is the character for people who are missing the 3v3 assist call stuff.

Seems to have a ton of moves that are great for assisting and tagging off of like his beam specials (which cover ground and air at the same time), his sphere which does a lot of hits and locks down and also his beam super. Just about his entire moves list can assist the other character. Also has 8 way air dash, I believe flight and a command grab super. Plus seemingly good ground and air normals. Looks like he could also just be generically good in any stone. Like Doom if heā€™s on point he can do work, if heā€™s assisting a character he can do work and if heā€™s by himself itā€™s still like heā€™s 2 characters because he can call his own assists in a game that doesnā€™t have standard button call assists.

Arthur: **Looks good. Instantly better in a game thatā€™s not Marvel 3. Seems to have movement on the ground now and the new DUD hop will help his pressure game. Another character like Ultron, Hawkeye and Strange where it seems his entire moveset can assist other characters. Lots of stones he could potentially be strong in. If his level 3 works like it did in Marvel 3 + Mind Storm = potentially dangerous.

Chris Redfield: **Hmmmā€¦people are kinda sleeping on him I think. Not that he looks amazing, but his tools still have potential for this game. Especially now that itā€™s not as ToD based. Seems like a character where reality stone will help him a lot since his biggest issue was he was a zoner that couldnā€™t cover the air at all. Reality stone allows him to now have a tracking projectile that covers that area of the screen that people could snipe him from previously. If he can still lay mines and fire to cover the ground underneath him, good luck getting in. Reality storm will just let him lock up all angles of the screen while laying more shit. Thatā€™s before you account for tag stuff.

Chun Li:** People are mostly talking about her funny face, but from what Iā€™m seeing this may be her game. Finally in a game where she doesnā€™t have to be on one team focused on runaway and building for another character to be relevant. All of her mix up and pressure potential is relevant again now that itā€™s not about who can turn hits into the end of a character. Her reset potential off her air dashes looks too sick especially if she gets to keep that air dash loop. Her level 3 flying kick super is now a level 1 that seems to do pretty good damage for a level 1. Whether sheā€™s top tier or not remains to be seen, but almost impossible for her to be bad.

Her backwards movement is nerfed a bit now that she canā€™t wall hop off the wall like 3 times anymore, but not a huge loss. Could be good with a lot of stones. Space stone specifically as she can use that to pull people to her with armor protecting her already great buttons and then just making them claustrophobic in the box.

Dante: The Jack of All Trades is back. I mean thereā€™s basically no way for Dante to be low tier because he has a sword, air movement and 23 special moves which pretty much make it impossible for you to be bad. Got nerfed a bit in Ultimate, but he just made too many other characters better to not still be good. Hammer doesnā€™t seem to have invincibility anymore, but the hit box looks great and seems to start up faster than it ever has. Can now double jump after an air dash normal, drive is now a huge hit box that knocks the opponent across the screen and causes knockdown, air play still good, acid rain still seems to have great mix up potential especially with the new tag system, stinger still great long range poke that you can now tag off of, million dollars is now a one meter THC essentially which can make any character better. Seems overall heā€™s basically buffed on point and as support.

Dante may very well be the Ultron of the Capcom side that basically makes your team better while also having a solid point character that can assist themselves and fight on their own well. Devil Trigger seems to be similarly powerful and I believe got a boost to the activation length. IIRC also can build meter during Devil Trigger now as well. This is before even accounting for stones. Not sure if Iā€™ll main him in this game since Jedah and Morrigan look too fun, but Iā€™ll mess with him for sure.

Frank West:** Gonna be good for sure. Frank West/Dante looks like itā€™ll be good for about the same reasons it was in 3. Plus he now has a tripod so he can take a picture of his own combos instead of someone elseā€™s. Level 5 Frank looks as strong as ever and his new level 3 seems to be a command grab if Iā€™m not mistaken. Space Storm + Level 5 Frank sounds real scary. Not going anywhere with those chain normals in the box.

Jedah: Seems to have potential. If heā€™s like he was in Vampire Savior heā€™s going to be able to throw out multiple overheads before he lands. Not sure if his Dark Force flight is going to be an activation super or what , but I assume heā€™ll be able to fly and do the 10 overhead shenanigans also like Raven in GG. He had an air diving command grab and a ground command grab in VS so if he has that in this game heā€™ll have plenty of ways to open people up. Also looks great as support/assist character as his EX blades seem to be normal special moves and great for tagging into any character with strong high/low pressure or box movement. Blade super seems to be great for tag pressure as well. Definitely will be a main or side character for me depending on what I can put him with. Wanna see how well I can make Team Darkstalkers work.

MegamanX:** After watching F.Champ and others play him, he could have a chance. Once you learn all of his rekkas and pressure cancels he seems to be a character that can basically assist himself and also have moves that are great for tagging other characters into. Seems pretty mobile especially with DUD movement. Can always have shit on the screen for zoning or rushdown. I can imagine all of his buster shot and boomerang shit in Time Storm being really annoying.

Mike Haggar:** The Mayor wants to bring further justice to Metro City. Looks like he could be pretty strong. Gets new moves like the barrel so he probably has a slightly relevant zoning game now and ANOTHER tool to stop people from landing hits on him. The Paipu is still going to force respect and lariat into tag is going to be super annoying. Heā€™ll basically be a character with a ton of defensive tools that can suddenly turn into offense. Him paired up with power or time stones sounds scary. Power stone heā€™s going to have ANOTHER defensive tool with the power surge thatā€™ll stop air movement and unnecessary rushdown. Activate the storm and you are basically opened up instantly if he makes you block anything because no pushblock.

Space stone surge to pull people into grab/lariat mix ups is going to be so nasty. This has so many layers because the space pull has armor. So if he pulls you in you canā€™t press too many buttons or heā€™ll armor you and then likely grab you with protection from the armor. If you try use a big hit box attack away from the armor he can lariat that. If you sit too long get grabbed. Pulling you into the paipu is going to be scary too. Marvel Infinite Haggar will likely be the ultimate, no commitment version of Haggar. While likely being more capable on by himself than before.

Morrigan:** I looooove that people are sleeping on this character. Like falling off the bed and still sleeping, sleep. The succubus can enjoy another 10 years. She just seems good in so many ways. Air normals like shell kick that were already OD in Marvel 3 now being able to be tag canceled is huge. The only thing that kept that move from being any less stupid was that it wasnā€™t an assist. Now it basically is. Doesnā€™t hit overhead anymore, but who cares now that itā€™s a free flying aerial move with fast start up that locks people down into pressure. Lost the ability to cancel fireballs into flight which nerfs her zoning initially, but now Astral Vision timer has been buffed to essentially twice the length. In Marvel 3 it lasted 10 seconds, now it lasts EIGHTEEN seconds while still building meter on hit.

On top of that her new move harmonious spear can tag people and allow her soul fists to build even more meter. If you land a soul fist while the harmonious spear debuff is on the opponent it seems like it builds about 15 to 20 percent meter per fist. Luckily it doesnā€™t drain their meter so they can still keep their meter, but weā€™re talking about an 18 second astral vision in a game where DHCā€™s arenā€™t as relevant and THCā€™s are essentially one bar. Tack that on with her ability to now air dash and special move her normals on whiff and sheā€™s going to have even more crazy attack and fireball patterns.

Then all you have to do is enter her into a time storm and things just get OD. People are going to be tagging like crazy to try to get away their harmonious spear debuff, which is fine because theyā€™re going to be running into no recovery soul fist spam all day. Time Storm lets you spam them at a speed faster than what the flight cancels could in Marvel 3. Which means youā€™ll be building hella meter on hit any way. Then if they are tagged by the spear debuff and get hit, youā€™re probably getting close to 4 bars the first time you hit them with the soul fists. Soul fists everywhere, harmonious spears rapid firing from both sides, harmonious clouds on the screen, itā€™s going to be a mess that might surpass Morrigan missiles which you can always tag into Ultron or someone else spamming shit then tag back into Morrigan.

Iā€™m already thinking of Time Storm patterns where you shoot a ton of grounded HP soul fists in the air which just about completely covers the air, then switch to shooting a bunch of grounded LP shots to cover the ground. Essentially trapping them in an Illuminati triangle of shots. Space Storm to lock them in a box after you land a spear and then land soul fist combos to build your meter up big and tag into a Zero or someone else with busted meter stuff.

Nemesis:** Hmmmā€¦seems alright. Lost his j.M in neutral, but j.H is still good. Light normal armor on just about everything means heā€™ll be a bit tougher to bully. Will have a lot of good tag shenanigans with rockets and rocket super into tag. If his level 3 actually has good frame data, could be strong with the new poison debuff. Doesnā€™t seem as good as Hulk or Haggar yet, but playable.

Nathan Spencer: Hmmmā€¦not sure about Spencer in this game. He was one of those characters that required assists to be scary in neutral since his arm cling game had big holes that could be air thrown or buttoned out of. The new pipebomb move he has seems interesting, but unless he hits really hard he just looks like another ok character with ok movement. Bionic arm losing invincibility also removes a lot of his scare factor (although it most likely will still be really fast for punishing).

Ryu: Probably the most polarizing character ATM. Some people feel the reflect mechanic and the fact that he has no air dash is going to send him into Dan tier, others like Olaf on Twitter bringing up a bunch of reasons why heā€™ll be good. Weā€™ll see soon enough. All I know is having a beam special even if itā€™s a bit slow start up seems good to help clear the neutral vs people who may try to reflect. DUD movement basically can replace an air dash for him and will probably create all types of shenanigans with tatsu thrown in. A good DP with the ability to tag sounds powerful. Beam super gives him obligatory tag super lockdown for another character. Said to do high damage so thatā€™s good. Suppsedly tatsu is a really good tag move also. Can combo for himself with the new OTG system. Sounds like heā€™ll be better than Spencer at the minimum.

Strider Hiryu: Lots of new things helping him out. Animals being command normals which allows which allow him new pressure strings that he wouldnā€™t be able to do otherwise. Should mean that all animals that are command normals are special cancelable now. Gonna have a ton of tag shenanigans especially off vajra. Ouroboros looks nerfed a bit, but a character that can play without ouroboros or XF3 automatically makes him better regardless. If there isnā€™t much of a projectile durability system in this game that makes legion super better by default. The general changes to him no longer being a low health character that canā€™t do damage and is heavily resource reliant gives him a lot of potential.

Zero: He can kick now. Heā€™s automatically god tier. Obviously not going to be a ToD character and might not be a pixie character with the damage of a big body anymore, but his toolset is basically about the same with new moves he can cancel during his buster cancelable moves and sogenmu still looks as busted as ever. Plus gets some new uppercut whirlwind super thing because Zero does need another super. Pretty much automatically putting him in top tier because he was already known for being the character that could assist himself in Marvel 3 in a game where everyone can tag their move and make it assist someone else. Heā€™ll definitely be another one of those characters thatā€™s as dangerous by themselves as they are with 2 people. Plus by history he has been top tier in every relevant and obscure fighting game heā€™s ever been in. He has to prove that heā€™s not top tier.

wasnā€™t ground dashing significantly nerfed? iā€™d bet money Ryu is going to be bottom 3 in this game.

Not really. Walk speeds per character are generally faster than in Marvel 3 (not that you need to walk in this game any way). The walk speeds generally look closer to older Marvel games. As opposed to Marvel 3 where Wolverine, Akuma and Morrigan were the only characters that could walk fast.

On top of that Ryu doesnā€™t have a down down DP or down down super so you can wave dash with him more reliably. Even with a character like Captain America that has a down down DP I was still moving pretty well with him using well timed wave dashes. Plus DUD movement gives everyone KOF style hop to get around. Even Arthur is mobile now because of that (and having a dash)

I honestly donā€™t think thereā€™s a character in the game with really bad mobility anymore because of the way it works.