MvCI Meta and Tier Discussion

Fixed.

We don’t know everything about the combo system, but we can assume some things given the nature of fighting games and what we’ve seen/heard. The damage seems to scale pretty hard, so after a certain point extending a combo only serves to gain meter/positioning. Combofiend also explicitly stated in an interview that starting a combo with light normals are a sure fire way to scale a combo fast, so we can assume the more heavies/specials the better. Based on these things alone, I don’t expect it to take very long to discover optimal combo damage for most characters. This game might redefine the term “optimal” to refer to positioning instead of damage due to how fast combos seem to scale. It will probably be more worth it to do a less damaging combo that corner carries than one that gets that extra 5-10% damage. If you’re going to need a reset anyway, might as well plan for it.

Lights scaling hard is something people wanted from Marvel 3. People hated how you could do 5 Ls in that game and get enough meter and enough leeway in the HSD and damage scaling to convert into a dead character. Most anime games like Guilty Gear generally follow this path where you have to start with something heavier to get more damage.

Learning combos that are good to bait counter switches at a certain point will also be important.

do we know anything about counter hitting? or is it even in the game?

Marvel normally doesn’t have counter hit effects. Only specified moves like Haggar headbutt which causes stun state on counter hit

I saw this odd interaction between Zero and another character that caused a wall bounce and I thought it was a counter hit, but Zero used buster so I assume that wall bounce is busters new property as opposed to juggle reel as it was in MvC3. Not quite as broken as it was.

Edit: ground buster.

Wolverine DK had different properties on CH I’m sure.

What character do you guys think will replace Magneto as the character that is as good as the player? The honest top tier? Ultron or Carol?

Ultron doesn’t have a command grab, so it’s Ultron

He does with the mind stone.

He does actually. It’s a super. Capcom seems to be pushing Nova as the Mags replacement, but Ryu may finally end up being a good measure of honesty in the game. Normally, honesty and Marvel don’t go in the same sentence, but Ryu seems to have all the tools he needs to be useful while not having anything dirty or gimmicky at the same time. Curious to see if players can use him to beat some of the more oppressive characters using only fundamentals. That would be pretty sick in it’s own right.

That’s true. I guess everyone is dishonest in mind.

I forgot about the grab super too. If the grab super has legit fast start up and doesn’t require the opponent to fall asleep to land, could be rather strong

I forgot about Ryu because it’s Ryu. Lol. He might be the one true ordinary guy

The thing we need to consider is damage scaling. By the time most of these combos have done 60%, scaling is so harsh that the stuff at the end does miniscule damage. And that’s before guts scaling (something 3 didn’t have) which takes it down even more. Combined, combos end up doing nearly less then half damage in once they get past a certain point. Even if you reset at 50% into the same combo, you’re not doing another 50% again.

When/where was it confirmed that guts was in this game?

It’s pretty visible in the gameplay videos. I actually made a post about it on Reddit.

Just look at these two clips which are almost the exact same combo.

It’s noticeable in other videos as well. The characters definitely take less damage when they’re low on life.

All of these systems together means the game will be pretty damn reset heavy. You’re going to have to be even more reset minded when the opponent’s health is lower. I guess that’s why Sonicfox called Yipes out saying he won’t be able to handle him in Infinite because the game is more reset heavy. Funny thing is I’m sure Yipes knows a thing or 2 about resets also.

Boi I hope DP motions get changed, I don’t like having these down down motions, It kills the move imo

Not all characters use down down motions, and some characters have both for different moves (e.g. Frank).

Besides, down down isn’t as bad as SFIV’s df,df shortcut since it still requires the player to stand.

Also, the motion will probably help defense when it comes to dealing with cross up tags.

Maybe there’s extra damage proration when you tag someone in, even when just starting a combo?

Honestly, it feels way too early to make assumptions.

Could be guts, could be like inUMVC3 where there was no defense boost, but there was like a hidden segment to the life bar. Could be extra proration with different starters. Strider and X could have vastly different life.

We don’t know if the damage scaling is per hit like in mvc3 or per move like in sf4/5 either or if different normals/specials scale at different rates.

All these things would make a huge difference.

The footage we have seems to imply that guts is in. We’ve got enough that seems to show that stuff does less damage when life goes below 50%.

In general, I’m more inclined to believe that stuff works closer to the games prior to 3 simply due to who’s working on the game (Hirose, not Niitsuma).