MvC3: 2/3rds: The Morrigan Team Building Thread

Depends on who is jumping in / where they are jumping in from. If its a character with a good trijump (mags / storm (decent) / Iron Man, Phoenix, etc) and theyre close, i just say fuck that and hold up back. if im off the ground i dont have to worry about the high / low mixup. if its a shallow jump in, f+M works well, and f+H works also, but not as consistently. Dark Hole shuts down anything midscreen, so it helps for zoning / spacing purposes, as well as from a defensive standpoint. I try to always be either in control of the flow of the match, or always on the offensive. Having a beam assist (Thor), and Dark Hole (great for zoning), it kinda shuts down a lot of their options when used in tandem with Morrigans super jump L Soul Fist xx fly xx M Soul Fist xx unfly > air dash. call out your assist before you leave the ground.

With Trish on your team, her “Trick” assists really help for stopping jump ins…

I’ve been running morrigan on my team, wich currently went from Dorm (dark hole)/Tron (Fire)/Morrigan (Hamonizer) to Arthur(daggers)/Tron(fire)/Morrigan(harmonizer). Though I’m not yet set on a specific order, I do very much like Morrigan as an Anchor.

Other posible orders for this team might be

Tron (fire)/Arthur (daggers)/ Morrigan (Harmonizer)
Morrigan(harmonizer/shadow blade)/Tron(fire)/ Arthur (daggers)

What I would like to avoid is having tron left either alone or with a morrigan harmonizer asist. Since against almost any type of keep away it can be pretty much helpless.

Any tips, thoughts on Morrigan as anchor? Any kind of synergy or tricks she might have with arthur and tron are welcome also.

Also Is it worth using her Dark Harmonizer if she’s not anchor?

Regarding DHC Synergy with Tron and Arthur:

From Morrigans back throw you can easily OTG Shadow Servant DHC Lunch Rush. If you wait until morrigans last hit to DHC it does 550K. you can also DHC from Shadow Servant to Goddess Bracelet…or simply tack on Goddess Bracelet after the DHC to Lunch Rush.

You cant combo into either Tron OR Arthur after an Aerial Finishing Shower.

Regarding Morrigan as an anchor:

She can play any role pretty well IMO. Shes underrated at the current stage in the metagame and is used mostly as a dedicated assist. I find her to be a very strong Point character though, and she is VERY strong at closing a game out with her use of Xfactor, Astral Vision, Air Soul Fist (for keep away), and her Hyper that will counter nearly every other hyper, Shadow Servant. I suggest always using Dark Harmonizer for Morrigans assist as she herself uses a lot of meter, and when shes not on the field, you should be calling her in between your main assist.

Hope that helped.

• K1

I’m not too sure about Morrigan’s strength as an anchor unless you use astral vision. She could be particularly deadly with it as anchor if u land a hit but then u have to land a hit during the short duration that astral vision is available while people are already trying to lame out your x factor level 3 as it is. It’s particularly more useful if they are low on x factor time or dont have xfactor at all. Otherwise they’re going to wait it out then burn x factor so you’re forced to rush with astral vision. I would feel her strength overall as anchor depends on if you can land enough mix ups via her solid but (at least to me so far) not totally overwhelming mix up game. The astral vision helps a bit with the left right mix up but it’s not anything people can’t just super jump and shoot at to run away from I feel.

I have her on my Team Cheese which is Morrigan/Sentinel/Phoenix and I have her go first because her ability to play offense and defense rather well while backed with sent drones assist allows her a solid gameplan that can build meter quickly. Which on the first combo I land I usually just end up aerial team comboing to build a meter or half meter on top of everything so Sent can get in. Which if Sent gets in and lands a combo i always buffer in Morrigan assist during the combo to build more meter for Phoenix. Originally I was going to put Sentinel first and Morrigan second but Morrigan’s assist does nothing to protect Sentinel and good luck finding a way to use regular Phoenix’s assist without her dying. With Morrigan up first you can use her as kind of like a balanced version of Phoenix that has a solid lame and offensive game and back it up with Sent drones which help her whether she’s shooting fly unfly fireballs for zoning or trying to jump in with cross ups and s.L lows.

I feel her overall utility and decent health for her small hit box size being great for putting on point with an assist backed up. She’s one of the only characters in the game that has a crouch low enough to duck under most of the beam spam the game presents but has good enough health to not start totally bleeding to death anytime she’s hit.

I’m using a team of Wesker, Dante and Morrigan, they have awesome DHC’s like:

(ground combo, launch, air combo, finishing shower, phantom dance then million dollars)
or (OTG shadow servant, phantom dance then million dollars) and on ground you can link any of the 3 in any order.

I use jam session for Dante because it’s a great anti-air and to lock opponent in place after Wesker OTG, the problem is Wesker and Morrigan assists are kind of sucky, and I find it hard to get in or mix up without any good projectile assist and I don’t want to use Sentinel just for the drones. Any tips on what assists do I use and some combos I can do with them?

Good points, thanks for the response! I often forget about up-back as an option (damn SF4 mentality lol).

I’ve tried Dorm with dark hole assist and it does seems far more useful than tower for my team. Unfortunately I fuckin’ suck with Dorm right now so I swapped him for Hulk. Retarded damage in the corner from this teams DHCs

Not giving up on Dorm though, he seems like a stupidly underrated character like Trish(people sleeping on Trish = :rofl: ) in my opinion, and when I get him down it’s gonna be crazy.

funny enough, i recently started messing with Trish, and now shes on my team. Her and Morrigan play pretty similar IMO. They can both switch from keep away to rushdown in a heartbeat, and i fucking love it. I honestly have lost a single match since i started using this team (played SimplyPh33r yesterday, beat him 2-1…hes pretty damn sick). Seriously, my team or Morrigan / Trish / Dorm is so fucking fun / good its not even funny…this team rules. All i can say is: <3

I LOVE THIS TEAM <3333

• K1

edit: Alki, we should be twin teammates and pair up and run the same team at tournies <3

I agree on the Trish & Morrigan playstyles… very versatile for my tastes. Both Dorm and Hulk work very well with these two girls (Dorm moreso Imo). Very, very annoying to play against if you know how to abuse their abilities… this team is the only one I’ve found so far that helps me counter Wesker (I honestly think Wesker is one of, if not the absolute best character in the game).

Oh, and I absolutely love Trish/Hulk/Morrigan even more now after finding out some ridiculously damaging DHC combos in Training mode. Trish can easily be my new Morrigan addiction for playstyle.

Haha K1, maybe I’d hit a tourny someday to see how well (or bad) I could do lol. Fuck it, I’mma get an Xbox eventually to go along with my PS3. :rofl:

Tried Morrigan/Dormammu/Doom yesterday and it worked okay. Doom didn’t add much to the team, but the combination of Morrigan + Dormammu was surprisingly good. I think, at this point, everyone playing Morrigan should pair her with Dormammu because they are just way too good together.

Anyway, I’m gonna try finding a third character for this team. I think someone that can trigger the DHC trick would work well and compensate for her poor damage output. I’ll look into that.

What exactly works well between dormamu and morrigan? And where do you guys normally put morrigan on your teams? I use her as an anchor because she has crazy comeback potential but she’s worked great on point as well for me as well.

Right now I’m using her in the second spot, with Wesker-B/Morrigan-Y/Dante-Y, though I’m still messing around with anchors and assists so things are subject to change.

My ultimate goal is to use Wesker + DH assist to build 5 bars as fast as possible, and then bring in Morrigan on point. Morrigan with Wesker’s OTG assist is pretty brutal, and Dante’s Weasel Shot is a very good enabler assist for either character.
I don’t personally like starting Morrigan on point because I feel she’s too meter-intensive to start off with, so I’ve been liking her in second.

Are there any videos out there of people using her well as an anchor?
I’ve watched a couple different people, such as FlashMetroid, using her as their anchor but they can’t ever seem to make it work (that or they just haven’t put in enough time with the character yet). I haven’t played any matches with Morrigan yet, so I’d be interested in seeing how well she handles the the position.

Morrigan works well with Dormammu because of her meter build assist. Basically, Dormammu is a character that uses a lot of meter without being able to build it efficiently. By calling Morrigan assist when Dormammu is on point, you always get the meter you need for Chaotic Flame Hyper which leads to big damage.

When Morrigan’s on point, Dormammu’s Dark Hole assist keeps the opponent pin down in blockstun for a long time. Call him while you’re trying to rush the opponent down with IAD :h: or :s: mixup, :uf: dash mixup or Darkness Illusion and it can get really tricky. As for DHCs, Morrigan can do Air Combo, finish it with j.:s: into Shadow Servants and DHC into Chaotic Flame for decent damage.

Personally, I use Morg on point as I’m trying to make her the core and soul of my team. I don’t really think she’s that great as an anchor. I mean, if she’s the last (wo)man standing on my team, I’m gonna try to work something out with X-Factor Level 3 Fireball traps, but it can easily be countered by activating X-Factor and avoiding the chip damage. And I don’t think her offense capabilities are that great either.

It’s hard for me to find ANY videos of Morrigan, let alone morrigan as an anchor. All I know is what has worked from my personal experience. Thanks for the advice though dantemustdie and Kazuhiro. Wesker and Dormamu both seem like pretty strong team members.

Can you elaborate on your experience with Morrigan as an anchor?
Why do you feel she works out in that position? I’d love to hear your opinion.

Morri works well as an anchor, as she doesn’t so much rely on your assists, as getting rid of your opponents. Once you get a few key assists neutralized, I feel Morrigan has the advantage against most characters. Dark Harmonizer is also my most called assist, and unless your most called assist, really, really can’t hold it down in the anchor position, that’s the safest place to have them barring snap backs. If you want to go for a team aerial combo, you want Morri in 3rd, so you can end with Darkness Illusion. Standing :h: loops go from worthless other than meter building to extremely damaging while still building meter fast in any level of x-factor. Astral Visions allows for terrific late game pressure. She’s not fragile either. Her aerial mobility allows her to fairly easily run the clock on most other character’s x-factors.

I’ve tried teams with her on point, or second, and they just don’t work out as well with her on anchor for me. I currently run Wesker/Phoenix/Morrigan. Dark Phoenix suffers without x-factor, but Morrigan is just so much more of a reliable anchor for me that it’s worth it. And if I can get the other person to burn x-factor early, Phoenix can still usually use x-factor 2 anyway. Wesker isn’t reliant on assists all that much, so I don’t feel I’m gimping him at all, and Dark Harmonizer allows me to either get Dark Phoenix out faster so I can return to standard meter usage asap, or to judiciously use meter and still inexorably hit 5 meters. Or, if I get outplayed with Wesker, and he goes down while my meter total is low, I can just go for it with Phoenix and healing field, and still likely hit 5 meters before she goes down.

^ Reading this kinda makes me want to try her out as an anchor again.

Right now, I’m running Morrigan/Dormammu/Sentinel. I think Sentinel can be great when paired with Morrigan. His very high damage output compensate for Morrigan’s poor damage output and Morrigan gives him meter which he needs for Hyper Sentinel Force into Plasma Storm. Sentinel HSF assist is great for either keep-away or rushdown as it has the same exact trajectory as Morrigan’s ground dash. I didn’t fully test the team yet, so I might, like I said, put Sent first and Morrigan as an anchor.

Still using the Trish / Morrigan / Dormammu (in the order) team. Still very happy with it. Still trying out other characters to possibly take over Dorm or Trish’s slots. Im always testing, always tinkering, always adjusting my team. If I find a character that I think works better for me, ill replace Dorm / Trish. I honestly dont think that will happen, but theres no harm in it. Currently thinking about testing out Ryu and a few other characters. Thor is always an option due to his great DHC’s with her, and due to the fact that…well…Thor is just plain fun. Me being pretty competent with him always helps out as well. Ill post any updates I find.

All I do, is in service to you, Morrigan my queen.

• K1

Morrigan’s awesome as anchor, she actually works well in almost any position. On point, she can give the team a good start by either laming out the opponent with fireballs or rushing them down, and make use of both assists. In second position, she can make use of the DHC reset with Astral Vision, and as an anchor like Nooneyouknowsaid, she can wreck all sorts of stuff.

I’m trying out a new team ???/Jill/Morrigan. I really like the DHC synergy between Jill and Morrigan, but haven’t decided on my point character yet. Might just pick Chun since i’ve been using her quite a bit lately.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Amaterasu as a good partner for Morrigan. My team from launch has been Morrigan-Y/Amaterasu-B/Dante-A. I mostly play Morrigan on point or put her in anchor position in certain matchups instead of Dante(to quickly dispatch annoying bastards like Dormammu and Phoenix).

As far as team synergy goes aerial finishing shower can DHC into Okami shuffle, which can DHC into Million Dollars or Shadow Servant. As far as Dante and Morrigan DHCs go, it’s only really good in the corner(Million Dollars into Finishing Shower) since Shadow Servant into Million Dollars is meh anywhere on screen.

Since Morrigan can pretty much do whatever she wants, cold star and jam session are used to increase her rushdown and zoning capabilities, respectively. Cold star leaves them in the perfect position for free mixups on hit or block, while jam session knocks people out of the sky and can lock them down in the corner. Morrigan meter assist is always helpful, especially if Dante is in DT since he doesn’t build meter during it.

I 100% agree with you. You know that they have good synergy together because Morrigan saves the goddess puppy in the intro videos :rofl:

In all seriousness, Ammy is the perfect compliment. I started using her with Morrigan yesterday and it just seems too good to switch up. Cold Star is a great assist to help Morrigan get in, and things can get pretty confusing when you’re in Astral Vision flying around with ice being shot in your face.

Soul Fist, while not the best assist, is the perfect height and speed to help Ammy out in a couple situations. Soul Fist flies lower to the ground and at the same speed as Ammy’s air dash, so it can help control a little space while you try to get in from the air. Also, throwing out a Soul Fist and a Power Slash H is a great way to protect Ammy from above her and in front of her at the same time.
Keep in mind I haven’t actually tried these out in a match yet, so I really don’t know if it will pan out in higher levels of play. We’ll see.

Arguably DH is better though, since being able to whip out a ton of Okami Shuffles at the end of a combo is pretty terrifying.

I… Actually didn’t know that. I don’t know why, I’ve played a lot of Dante but I’ve never noticed that. Maybe I shut my brain down when I devil trigger.