Mortal Kombat vs DC Comics?

Taken from sources like Vandal, News a Rama, Mortal Kombat.org or even Game Spark:

*we have started to hear a few rumblings around the Chicago-based developer in regards to the next title in the Mortal Kombat franchise, aka Mortal Kombat 8. The MK Team has in the past gone on the record in stating the the next Mortal Kombat game for this generation’s consoles will feature a totally reinvented formula than the previous console-specific Mortal Kombat titles. Recently, the direction that Midway is considering on taking their most prized franchise has started to take shape.

A post on the IGN Boards (highlighted by a MK Online user), brought up the prospect that Midway’s next Mortal Kombat title will straight up be a Mortal Kombat vs. DC Comics fighting game, in the spirit of the Marvel vs. Capcom series of fighting games. While this rumor has been around in various iterations ever since X-Men vs. Street Fighter was released in 1996, it appears that this latest reincarnation seems to carry a bit more weight this time around. As incredulous as this rumor has sounded ever since it first made the rounds more than ten years ago, TRMK has confirmed from our own sources that the next Mortal Kombat game for the current generation of consoles - Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 - will indeed be a “Versus” style game.

While we were unable to confirm the DC Comics angle proposed by the IGN Boards message, we do know that the game will feature another well-known established intellectual property. It seems unlikely that the DC Comics license will appear along side a franchise known for its gruesome fatalities; however, the MK Team did state that they were intent on “reinventing everything from the ground up” in order to “wipe the slate clean”. Therefore, the idea that the game will not feature fatalities in the traditional Mortal Kombat style is not as far fetched as it initially sounds.

Early this year, series co-creator, Ed Boon, did go on the record to state that the series will feature a darker and grittier art direction and game presentation, inspired by the hit Xbox 360 title, Gears of War. The DC Comics universe fits within this style with their recent reimaging of their Batman and Superman franchises in the movie theaters. But until we hear definitively who the other partner is in the Mortal Kombat Versus game, we can only speculate as to who we will see Scorpion and Sub-Zero fighting against on our Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in late 2008.*

Believe it or not? its up to you.

as long as Sub Zero is god tier im cool with it. no pun intended

LMFAO… if this is real i’m going to “LUL” so hord…

DC Comics has been trying to force-feed its big properties into more adult/morbid stories for years now, so I guess this doesn’t sound that surprising.

That said, yeah, like I’m going to take the word of some random guy on the IGN forum.

i’m actually pretty sure it’ll just end up featuring Unreal or Gears Of War characters.
Raiden had a guest spot in Unreal Championship 2, so it seems to make the most sense considering that the new game will use the Gears engine.
it’d actually be kinda neat if Quake / Doom shows up in there somehow too.

I honestly cant see myself playing any fighting game that includes DC characters. they dont really fit in with any other universe of characters except their own. I thought the same about marvel but capcom won me over. midway is crap, mortal kombat is crap, that one fighting game for snes with the justice league is CRAP.

plus, all the dc heroes are fucking broken. did someone say speed force?

MK vs DC? thats sounds fucking awesome! while i doubt anyone will b able to play it seriously as a competitive fighter it still could be a really fun casual fighter like smash bros.

edit: if the game will be anything like UMK3 o nthe xbl arcade then it could very well have a fully fleshed out combo system!

reading the term lulz literally makes vomit tickle the back of my throat
edit: and the source is a fucking BLOG of all goddamn things

lol, so much started by a post that nobody has even provided text to.

How many idiotic claims have been made anonymously and randomly on message boards around the internet? Why are people grabbing onto this one and running with it?

If it is true, they should only use characters from MK 1 and 2. The game should be 2D and use digitized sprites for the old school MK look (get christian bale as Batman and I will play it).

this is so weird, make it 2d and it’ll probably sell or at least it’ll look less stupid.

Oh, they just need a storyline gimmick to fix that. Remember Superman vs. Spider-Man? It’s easy to see that Supes would ream Spidey a new one, so they gimmicked up Spider-Man’s strength until it was comparable to Superman’s. It would be easy to do, since most fighting games have a one-paragraph storyline in the instruction manual anyway. Nobody really gives a shit how it’s supposed to work as long as it works.

If Akuma did SGS on a naked Hecatomb Rogue, which one would die?

They would probably have some sort of god-like child.

Shoulda been Guilty Gear vs DC if they really wanted to take on marvel vs Capcom

I can see the announcer now:

“OH MY GAWD!!! LIU KANGGG INFINITE!!! JUSTIN WOOOONNNNG!!!”

Total rumorville, thread closed.

Also, leave the ‘hate and epic lulz in GD’, if your going to discuss any fighting game, discuss it seriously, you never know when it might show up in evo =P.