Mod to reduce Tekken 7 offline input delay

Me and Hardcore recently discovered that Tekken 7 has 1 fake 100% artificial frame of Input Delay offline active at all times. This is what the ping bars mean in Practice Mode, translated to frames:

5 bars is the default. Such delay can be forcefully reduced on PC (or increased lol) with a little mod/trainer/program/tool I’ve put together. It’s as simple as setting a number from 1 to 0. Soulcalibur 6 shares the same type of fake lag “feature”.

Now I’m going to explain how to reduce the game’s input lag with different methods. They are not guaranteed to work in the future, but they have been working for a long time (from vanilla up to season 3). Reducing the lag will apply to all offline modes: Arcade, Treasure, VS and Practice.

METHOD #1 (recommended): mod the game exe yourself
INSTRUCTIONS:

1. open TekkenGame-Win64-Shipping.exe with a hex editor of your choice
  2. find this hex string:
    0C 8B 86 F4 04 00 00
    replace it with:
    0C 90 90 90 90 90 90
    and save the changes.

Done. You can tell it’s working by enabling the Input Delay option in Practice: it won’t do anything. And you can also tell by the fact that the gameplay is more responsive of course.

NOTE: you’ll have to mod your exe every time the game gets an update

METHOD #2: use my trainer or CT file

PREVIEW:

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3tjwvbkjj8wbwjp/T7InputDelay(ExtractMe).zip/file

To use the trainer, just run T7InputDelay.exe while the game is running and tick the checkbox. If you want to experiment different input delays other than 0, type your number.

For the paranoid: the tool is open source, you can run the code directly if you have AutoHotkey installed. The related Cheat Table file is included if you prefer to use Cheat Engine instead.

NOTE: you need to start this tool every time you start the game because its effects are temporary (writes to the RAM)

METHOD #3: use HardcoreSergi’s trainer
DOWNLOAD: https://github.com/KulaGGin/Tekken-7-Trainer/releases
(SOURCE CODE: https://github.com/KulaGGin/Tekken-7-lag-controller)

This trainer has the added bonus of having more features, such as an input lag display for online matches in real-time, and making the dummy repeat more than 5 moves in practice mode. More info: https://www.reddit.com/r/Tekken/comments/90exi7/tekken_7_punishment_and_throwbreak_trainer2/

NOTE: you need to start this tool every time you start the game because its effects are temporary (writes to the RAM)

DEMONSTRATION:
This neat little GIF right here shows how the game reacts to player inputs with the default delay (1) compared to a modified delay (0). No need to use expensive 400 FPS cameras or convoluted hardware setups to prove it, running the game in slow motion using the Cheat Engine speedhack was more than enough.

(padlight was used for the real-time inputs displayer, and OBS Studio to record everything)
Behavior explained with text:

STANDARD:
Frame 1 - nothing
Frame 2 - human input
Frame 3 - nothing
Frame 4 - nothing
Frame 5 - attack
|
MODDED:
Frame 1 - nothing
Frame 2 - human input
Frame 3 - nothing
Frame 4 - attack

The GIF shows how the game lags by 2 frames, but the tool only gets rid of 1 lag frame… the 2nd lag frame must be caused by something else. Pausing the game actually bypasses all the lag and it happens in 0 frames, same for the button check screen!

Is it possible to achieve 0 frames of input lag with the “slow motion method” in different games? Yes. Just to name two, in Skullgirls and Fantasy Strike (SG supports in-game slow motion; FS has frame advancing + slow motion + save states) when you do a human input on Frame 1, the attack happens immediately at Frame 2. Here’s a list with more tests I did a while ago: Built in input lag?

I guess this is what Katsuhiro Harada meant with “tailor the game even more to absorb lag” and “design the entire fighting game with the notion that it will eventually be played online”: artificially increasing the input latency offline.

So it was intentional after all, but not all hope is lost. Update 1.10 was aimed at partially reducing the input delay, which shows that the developers do care about the issue. One more frame could be very easily removed as proven by this thread, go tell Bandai Namco, maybe they’ll listen and backpedal on that particular “feature”.

TL;DR
T7 has 1 frame of fake lag, you can disable it with PC hacks, email Harada to remove it completely