"Mmm... You look like you're in good shape": Juri Q&A and General Discussion Thread

I didn’t see an answer for this earlier, but for the guy who was wondering about getting Sweeped by Akuma on a cr. blocked LK pinwheel is because the 2nd hit doesn’t connect and it eseentially becomes -9 frames. Where as if he was standing both hits of LK pinwheel connect and you come out with -4 frames.

Also, I tried FSE for the first time today, and also noticed she doesn’t build meter during it, which is… really bad… For the amount of Setups Ultra 2 has right now, I don’t really think Ultra 1 is gonna be that good, unless some genius found someway to break it.

Question:

What combo are you guys using to punish people when they miss an SRK for example? For the most part, I go link cr.mp–>hk pinwheel. It seems to do a fair amount of damage but I want to make sure I get the most out of these opportunities to punish opponent.

I always find myself with a gratuitous amount of meter, so if they land close cr.fierce into EX pinwheel, cr.mk if it’s kinda far, or Ultra if it’s available

Aiight thats whats up. I am trying to find a more consistent, more damaging combo though.

cr. mp -> hk pinwheel for me too. Just seems easy and quick to do.

Although I did catch one Ryu after they wiffed REALLY badly with a fierce SRK with a j. mp -> j. mp -> hk pinwheel.
I wonder if I can sub that with a j. mp -> EX dive kick -> Ultra2… hm.
Can’t wait to get home from work lol.

Yeah if you’re quick enough, you’ll be able to punish with j.mp -> ex divekick -> u2

It really depends if I have a fuhajin charged or not, if my opponent is backed against the corner, if I want to punish with ultra, etc. It all depends on the situation.

-If I don’t have a fuhajin charged or Ultra, I just go for: cr.hp xx HK pinwheel (never EX since the slight increase in damage is not worth the meter, unless it’s going to end the match). Simple and more damaging then cr.mk xx HK pinwheel.

-If I do have fuhajin charged (and enough meter to cancel), I go for: cr.hp xx fuhajin release > FADC > cr.hp xx HK pinwheel.

-If my situation is the same as above and I have Ultra (assuming I want to punish with Ultra): cr.hp xx fuhajin release > FADC > Ultra.

If my opponent is backed against a corner, I’d take advantage of it and use my fuhajin release combos to their fullest without need for excess meter (basically, same combos as above w/o the FADC).
Of course, corner specific combos can be tricky but we have training mode for that.

Since we’re on the subject of low release > fadc > ultra, I have a question.

Is the timing on that really, really tight? I feel like I am doing cr.mk > low release > fadc > ultra 2 as fast as possible. It looks like it should hit. Do I just need to be really, really fast? Or does it only work on certain characters? What’s the deal with it?

wait for confirmation on this from some one else

but Im assuming you want the focus attack in the fadc to connect
if that’s the case you cancel the release early and then let the focus charge to lv2
then dash and while they are crumpling you can land the ultra which doesn’t have to be super fast

if you’re not landing the focus attack and just cancelling the release straight into the ultra have no clue

dunno if this has been asked before but I heard that Ryu can sweep lk pinwheel? Dunno if it’s just coming out of the animation or if it’s during the whole thing. I would assume they meant he could sweep after blocking one and connect but I’m not ruling anything out. I can’t try it in training myself at the moment cause my equipment’s loaned out to a friend, can anybody confirm/deny?

Timing is tight and strict, and you gotta be fast but cr.HP > release > FADC(no lvl2 attack) > Ultra does connect.

How safe is lk pinwheel anyway? I don’t to develop shitty habits like ending block strings with it.

safe at far distances if opponent is st.blocking, not safe at all when opponent is crouch blocking. Especially on opponents with far hitting LK’s and Fast Sweeps

Though Cody’s cr. lk goes really far and he will actually be able to punish you, but it’s a 1 frame reversal.

cody is weird though. he can do lots of weird stuff and lots of stuff doesn’t work on him that you would assume it would. you can’t scoop cody up into a dive kick combo if he’s standing on the ground, I don’t think. He’s fallen out of mine the few times I’ve fought one, but then again I’ve only fought a few and I haven’t really been on in a few days now.

thanks,
I’m going to try it out when I play again

I know at least 5 Sakura players that are using Juri, myself included.

It takes practice for someone not used to it, to say the least. It’s not character specific. It works on everyone. Just learn to time the FADC the moment you’re able to, and buffer the motion for the Ultra during the final frames of your dash animation. If you still have trouble, maybe you can just cancel her low fuhajin with a FA and get a crumple, and then dash in to Ultra. It’s slightly easier but the damage won’t be as much.

Just keep practicing. Zujira posted a video of him performing it in the Video thread a couple of pages back. You can use that as reference.

Hope that helps.

i’ve been screwing around in training mode checking to see how safe or unsafe the pinwheel is. all three (light, medium, strong… didn’t try out EX) have got the same punishability. HOWEVER, there is a pretty strict timing window on when their hit can come out. if they are standing, your pretty safe with the pinwheel, if they are crouching then your a bit more exposed. if they mash out sweeps or c mks they will be blocked almost all the time (unless they have a fast sweep like ryu), so mashers are only able to punish with some light hits (maybe a combo after). one big plus in juri’s favor is her vulnerable time is a few frames after her last kick hits, this means that if the opponent doesn’t know how many of those kicks are coming in (variations between light, medium and strong), it can make it a bit tougher for them to time the punish. of course, SRKs and other potent interupt moves (flashkick, buffalo headbutt, etc) can absolutely ruin your day because they can be inputted before they are out of block stun, so keep that in mind and FADC every now n then. also keep in mind that alot of players, once they enter block stun like to continue holding back (even tho its not necessary) making it much tougher for them to SRK, on time especially.

i notice alot of u dig the c.mk low release > sweep. i personally feel that although it’s a good combo its not entirely practical, mostly because i like using the c.mk strictly as a distant poke and the sweep only hits when at half poke distance or closer. which brings it to its next problem, since u have to be awfully close to use it, u dont have access to ur lk button, meaning u cant tech out of throws, just kinda risky. also… c.mk hk.pinwheel does more (solid 200 damage).

c.hp to ex pinwheel is nice, but does 280 as opposed to the 260 a heavy pinwheel does. save that meter good sir.

double post

Cody is retarded. Period. I just played a Cody against my Juri and I lost 14-4. After this painful defeat, I realized just how risky Juri really is. At some point I wouldn’t risk doing dive kicks or pinwheels unless I’d know they’d land (Off a combo, or using dive kick to break armor/counter stuff). Also; I don’t know if it’s just me, but I find I have to jump alot with Juri to get in, and Cody’s st.MP (I think?) stuffs all of her jump-ins.

All this time I’ve been using U2, but I NEVER used it in any of the matches against Cody only because I could never land any of her setups safely to do it. I may have used it once or twice cuz he whiffed something huge, but that was it. I’m gonna start learning how to do some FSE combos… because even if I land one combo in for 300 damage or whatnot, that’s better then doing no damage at all with U2.

But yea… Cody is gay lol.