MK9 | "YOUR SOUL IS MINE!" The Shang Tsung Thread

Shang Tsung will return. He’s an essential character in the series…

But now we have all this crazy “Liu Kang is a fire god and Shang Tsung is the new thunder god” stuff to worry about.

Shang doesn’t seem to have a lot going for him in terms of a high/low mixup game. He seems quite sluggish to open up an opponent compared to characters with quick comboable low attacks like ninja slides, or hell - that god damned Liu Kang combo that I fall back on…

However I dont think this has been mentioned and can be quite useful to try and get that opening for your juggles from midscreen or corner.

f+3, 4

First hit is high, second is low but is a popup. This can be quickly combo’d in to a soul steal or of course a simple ground ball juggle.

Quick low damage combos:
f+3, 4 , hcb+3 – Low popup soul steal - 14%
f+3, 4 , qcb-4, qcf-4, qcf-4 – Low popup ground ball juggle - 27% damage

This one requires a bar of meter but can be chained in to other attacks with timing. Watch the combo videos for an idea of the options available to you when the opponent is on the rebound towards you.

Requires one bar of meter Can be chained in to other combos for more damage
f+3, 4, qcb-4, qcf-4, ex ground ball – 30% damage

Hope those simple little things help someone out there.

Also, it would be quite cool if someone could clarify the conditions for the “Damage Boost” that comes up occasionally on a soul steal?

oh boy, F+3(shang´s magic ankle) stuffs A LOT of wakeup moves(even after rolling out)
i might post a video of it later

^looking forward to it.

Flashy, how do you time the uppercut after EX ground ball so the opponent lands behind you? I finally got around to trying this combo out and I just can’t get it.

You have to position your self right so that they fall on top of you, for the uppercut to hit the opponent on right on the back rather then clip there legs and such. Two much work imo, you can rack up 51% the same way instead of using an upper cut, you can use a close ground skull and then soul steal, the trick here is to get the full damage out of soul steal so it can hit up to 13 hits for the 51% damage, to do so you must hit the opponent right before they hit the ground.

Juggling from behind with the close ground skull is much easier, and I had no idea it could do as much damage. I never realized soul steal had multiple hits either. Thanks for the tips.

so what are you guys B&B combos you use for X character after you land a soul steal?

I’ll post the BnBs I use for scorp and kabal. I haven’t checked their character forums to see if there are better options but:

Scorpion:

j.1, 1, 1, b b 1, nj.1, dash xx b2 j.4 qcb 3, 1, 1, 1

Kabal:

b.1 2 1, dash xx 1, 1 back forward 4, f.3 2 qcb 2

sorry for the LONG delay. I still have to capture footage for this, but here is a partial list of the F+3 wake up stuffing (dash>F+3 timming is character dependent)
the list is format is as follows

Character: wakeup moves
Ranges: what moves gets stuffed

wakeup list

Spoiler

Scorpion: teleport, takedown
sweep: teleport, takedown
jump kick: takedown
2,2,b+4: tele(strict) takedown

Liu Kang: parry, dragon kick, bicycle kick, low fireball
sweep: dragon kick, bicycle kick, low firebal
jump kick: dragon kick bicycle kick, parry(it will get hit by the 4 followup)
2,2,b+4: dragon kick, bicycle kick low fireball, parry(strict)

Kung Lao( dont bother)

Sub-zero: slide, ice clone
sweep: ice clone(if too close 4 followup will catch sub-zero) slide(strict)
jump kick: slide, ice clone(sub-zero wont get hit)
2,2,b+4: slide, ice clone

Sindel: step up, yell, low fireball levitate
sweep: step up, yell, low fireball levitate(4 followup)
jump kick: step up, low fireball(strict), levitate(4 followup, strict)
2,2,b+4:step up , yell, low fireball, levitate(4 followup)

Ermac:force port, force slam, force push, hover slam
sweep: force port, force slam,force push, hover slam
jump kick: force port, force slam(strict)
2,2,b+4: force port, force slam, hover slam , force push(strict)

Reptile: slide, acid hand, invisibility, elbow dash
sweep: slide, acid hand, invisibility
jump kick: slide , invisibility(4 followup)
2,2,b+4: slide, acid hand, invisibility

it is still a work in progress i will keep this post updated
EDIT 3: not the way i wanted, but here is some visual reference on F+3 in action

EDIT4: the list is almost useless now since they “fixed” the invencibibility on wakeup for most of the cast

I’m learning Shang

n e one on here wanna fight on XBL sometime so i can learn a few things? Hit me up!

GT: rolltide8569

wanted to share a little something i found for the old man…if you win using a combo into soul steal,
and the soul steal kills him before he morphs, he glitches.
why do this? because you get the damage boost while u r Shang!
i tested this on jumpin punch,221,medium skull, far skull, X-ray.
a near the corner combo that does 40%. But with the glitch activated, it did 60%!
i belive this also works when soul steal a mirror match.

alex valles shang tsung is too raw, saw him play on the ufgt7 stream

Thank you this was great info. I am a little confused when you state 1,1b+4 is that a typo? Do you mean 2,2 b+4 which is a combo that Shang Tsung performs.Thanks again for the info.

Ill fight but im also learning Shang Tsung mirror matches anyone ?
XBL Username: tttutino

You can pick up a nice setup from Alex in this video. Click on the 4th match@[COLOR=#0000ff]28:32[/COLOR]

Shang Tsung (Alex Valle) vs Raiden (Kraziebone)
Shang Tsung (Alex Valle) vs Cyber Sub-zero (Kraziebone)

1 bar of meter needed
Setup 2,2,1 - d,b 4 - d,f 4 - Ed,b 4 - dash - juggle d,u 4 - Then he throws the d,u 2 and you get a free jump at the enemy then can block but good start for mix up.

Correct, i switched the buttons.

Great info LAMG_ will practice.

Heres a great tutorial from Tom Brady posted by THTB @ test your might.
http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?3428-GUIDE-Shang-Tsung

If you guys want to ask Tom Brady questions about Shang Tsung he is answering questions on posted at this thread :sunglasses:
http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?5916-WEEK-5-STBL-Show-questions-Thread!!&p=66939#post66939

I only play shang, I see no purpose in playing as others when I can simply beat them at their own game if Shang can’t range them. I’ve played as him since MKII. My longest combo so far is 19 hits 50% with 3 bars. His timing is extremely precise and difficult to master. The biggest limiting factor being the xbox 360 controller. It’s very very hard to do down up moves, but very rewarding once you know how to counter. The other part that’s hard is that his uppercut is VERY slow. Having said that, he’s very slow and very powerful. If you catch me on an angry streak you can do some disgusting defeats, often flawless. One trick I like is stealing them when I got 3 bars (especially teleporting guys) then counter with their own X-Rays for anywhere between 43 -> 64% damage :). You must master each other player first, at least all their basic moves. to play efficiently though, or you’re screwed. The other thing is ALWAYS shoot all kinds of mixed up fireballs. especially close top to bottom ones for people always jumping at you. His fireballs are slower and more powerful, and can stop sub-zero’s slide. The last part is for up close guys, press back+x(blue) to elbow them a few times and throw em. That’s your fastest and one of the most important moves. I rarely use his own x-ray, his super fireballs are much more useful in combos for more damage. For VERY fast guys like smoke, noob, and reptile, always steal and outpower them with basic fireballs etc… learn to know the time it takes to morph back too. I tried other spammy players combos and they’re patherically easy… with shang tsung I press damn near 30 buttons for a very large combo with extremely precise timing required. depending when a particular fireball hits will affect the rest of the combo you can perform, like being hit by 3 vs 2 fireballs changing the spacing he will fall. Even the camera affects it as the guy can’t bounce off screen sideways thus making only 2 fireballs hit if you move backwards too fast.