MK9 | This One's For The Fans: Kitana General

have a few q’s if anyone’s willing to help:

1. I need to work more throws into my mixup game. Any certain attack strings I should toss a throw in after?
    Seems any time I try to work one in I’m just out of range or my attempt gets stuffed.

2. Any uses for the “Pretty Kick” (d.b.3) other than a random combo ender?

3. I seem to have a hard time with the ‘crossup’ punch after my strings get blocked. Any strategies to combat this?

4. I’m a little embarrased about asking this, but any strategies for the scrub scorpions that just mash specials the entire fight.
    This matchup feels more and more like rock-paper-scissors and less like MK. Or maybe even like an El Fuerte match gone horribly wrong.

A friend of mine used to main Raiden, and it may not be much help but Ive had success by playing very defensively. You’re going to have to make him mess up to take it.
Once you punish him 30-40% for a blocked superman, he’ll either be more cautious in randomly tossing them, or he’s going to hand you the game.
Seems like quite a bit of the online Raidens will Teleport and immediately sweep, so I get in a habit of blocking low where I can.

Always expect a tele, Always expect wakeup superman. (at least online)

Say, quick question for the people who main Kitana: Who do you guys have as a second/alternate character?

i think the name of the tread is epic good job :L

yh but in past mks i did not use kitana. mostly because she is a female character.

i would always stick to the ninjas.

also iv never seen anoyone get 2 fans ( either air or ground) in one juggle in previous mk games (mk2, umk3, mk da,mk a) . is that possible ?

i might mess around with her in mk9. currently rocking sektor =]

good thread tough, nice to see some mk talk on srk ! :smiley:

Playing the game for the first time online…yes, online is ass, but fighting against Smoke players are a pain.

Does Kitana have ANY decent overhead attacks?

From a JPS, use f41. They are forced to block it high and if it hits you can combo, if you see they are blocking then cancel the f41 into her df2 cutter. This blockstring gives you 7/12 of a meter and does like 5-6% chip damage which is huge. If the Cutter hits, you get a free safe jump into jps~f41~cutter all over again.

She doesn’t really need overheads, but she has this one and it’s best use is what I just listed.

Does anybody know how to do Kitana’s Instant Air Fan? I’ve been Tiger Knee-ing it for the longest but no success at all. I’m almost ashamed to do this since I’m a MK Lifer, but I’ve been playing other fighters before this one…

up, down, right, 1
That’s how I do it.

When I IAF I use the negative edge to my advantage by holding down on 1 as I hit up. So, my input is up+1(holding down),Down,Forward+1(release). Very easy way to do it.

EDIT: I would also like to add that if you end up getting a jump punch instead then you need to adjust your timing.

Times like this I’m glad I stuck with using the D-Pad instead of switching to a Fight Stick.

Thanks guys, my timing’s not as sharp but I’m actually able to do it consecutively.

I play on arcade stick lol. Just gotta get used to it.

I wasn’t dismissing arcade sticks, lol. It’s just that I’ve used a pad ever since the original MK on SNES, and it’s worked for me the best since.

Mk is a game where I don’t think you’ll hear about people claiming to need a certain method. The motions are 2-input as well and you don’t see things like 720s etc.

Where would you guys rank Kitana? She seems pretty A-tier to me.

According to a TYM tier list, she is definitely A/B+

Definitely A Tier. Can zone with the best of them, half of her moves are safe, she has a wealth of Anti-Air options and her juggling combos are almost unmatched.

Just signed up for this site because I want to get better at MK. Someone explain what the letters mean i.e. nj? Also I was playing around and ended up with a combo that needs something to keep it going for more damage. Didn’t see another like it but if there is sorry:

Forward HP, LP, LK, LK, Uplift, ?

I tried fan throw but nothing seems chainable from there (of course I’m not super great at MK) then tried Dash, Dash, Back LP AirFan to no avail. Any suggestions?

I’m trying to work my way to those really tough combos there, since I never really was that into MK until I got ahold of this one.

“nj” means Neutral jump.

A very newbie friendly combo for starters is as follows:

f+2, 1, NJP (Neutral Jump Punch), 3, ground fan, 2~fan lift, dash, dash, b+2, air fan, 2~cutter.

If you have any problems don’t hesitate to ask, or even better yet, visit testyourmight.com, they will certainly message you back almost instantly. That website is dedicated to MK.

Thanks I’ll try out that combo. Just trying to work up to the bigger ones. Do you have a suggestion for something I could add to the combo I mentioned?

I don’t understand the notations for the combo you are trying to do…HP (r1) is a throw in MK.

Was messing around…

got around to these:

f2,1,3,3,3,uplift, nj, fan toss, fan toss :: 9 Hits 27% Damage (if it can be improved let me know)

also,

f2,1,b2, fan toss, fan toss, dash, pretty kick :: 8 Hits 33% Damage