MK9 | Rawr Means "I love you" - Reptile Thread

Reptile is pretty much the only character I play so I figured I’d make a thread him. A lot of this stuff I learned from TYM and the Reptile players from there. But some of it is my own input. I will be using numbers btw. So lets get this out of the way now for people who don’t know

KEY

1 = FP
2 = BP
3 = FK
4 = BK
BLK = Block
J = Jumping
U = Up
D = Down
F = Forward
B = Back
Sforce Ball = Slow Force Ball
Fforce Ball = Fast Force Ball

Important poke strings

1. Last 2 hits are overheads. Safe on block. Launches

12B2. Last hit hits low.

F1B2. Last hit is over head. Safe on block. Launches

1. Safe on Block. Knocks back.

Specials

Acid Spit: DF1. Safe on Block unless up close. Fast. Abuse it when zoning.

Force Ball (So Zeta Slow): BB1. Slow Moving Projectile. Pops up opponents.Safe on block except up close. Great for Zoning.

Force Ball (Gotta go fast!): BB3. Fast Moving Projectile. Pops up opponent. Safe on block except up close.

Elbow Dash: BF2. Fast. Very unsafe on block. Crosses up downed opponent. Knocks down. Does not hit airborne opponents. Key move for advanced Kombos.

Acid Ball (Back Fist): DB2. Knocks back on hit. Over head. Safe on Block.

Slide: BF4. Unsafe on block. Hits low. Knocks down. Do not use outside of combo’s.

Invisibility: DU4. Bypasses projectiles. Returns to normal after blocking an attack, being hit or time expires.

Enhanced Specials

Acid StreamDF1+BLK. Goes about 3/4 of the screen.
Safe unless up close. Nightwolf cannot deflect.

Elbow DashBF1+BLK. Unsafe on Block. Slight Pop Up. Does more damage than normal elbow.

Force Ball (Super Zeta Slow) BB1+BLK. Chargable.
Great for zoning and mix ups. Pops up. Damage increase. Safe unless close.

**Force Ball (Gotta go really fast!)**BB3+BLK. Chargable. Pops up. Damage Increase. Safe unless up close.

Acid Fist (Back Hand) DB2+BLK. Safe. Comes out faster. Overhead. Pops up.

SlideBF3+BLK. Hits low. Does 2 extra hits. Knocks down. Very unsafe on block. Do not use outside of combo’s.

InvisibilityDU4+BLK. Turns COMPLETELY invisible.
Damage buff. Lasts longer. Keeps same properties as non-enhanced (projectiles bypass him. lasts until hit, blocking an attack or timer runs out)

X-Ray

Tricky Lizard - Goes full screen and through projectiles.

Basic Combos

1221 slide

122 elbow dash

321 slide

Intermediate Combo’s

122 Sforceball 32 Fforceball 321 slide

122 enhanced acid ball dash up 32 SforceBall 321 slide/Enhanced Slide

**Advanced Combo’s **

321 Elbow Dash (wiff) 32 Fforce Ball 321 Slide/Enhanced

321 Elbow Dash (wiff) NJ1/2 32 Fforce Ball 321 Slide/Enhanced Slide

Corner Combo’s

321 Sforce Ball 321 Fforce Ball 1221 Slide/Enhanced Slide

F2B1 321 Sforce Ball 321 Fforce Ball 32 Slide/Enhanced Slide

321 Sforce Ball 321 Fforce Ball 321 Slide/Enhanced Slide

1221 321 Sforce Ball 321 Fforce Ball 321 Slide/Enhanced Slide

321 Sforce Ball 321 Enhanced Acid Ball 321 Slide/Enhanced Slide

** X-Ray Combo’s **

Sforce Ball Fforce Ball X-Ray

Sforce Ball Fforce Ball 32 X-Ray

Sforce Ball 32 Fforce Ball 32 X-Ray

1221 X-Ray

321 Elbow Dash (wiff) 32 Sforce Ball32 Fforce Ball 32 X-Ray

Corner X-Ray Combo’s

F2B1 X-Ray

F2B1 321 Sforce Ball 321 Fforce Ball 32 X-Ray

1221 321 Sforce Ball 321 Fforce Ball 32 X-Ray

321 Elbow Dash (wiff) 321 Elbow Dash (wiff) 321 Elbow Dash (wiff) 321 X-Ray

321 Sforce ball 321 Fforce Ball 321 X-Ray

Zoning

Acid Spit/Stream and Force Balls will be your main zoning tools. Blocked Acid Spit is a great way to build meter. Enhanced Slow Force Ball works as a Land Mine basically. Use it to cover space ad try to get in. Dashing behind it is also one of the safest ways to get in. You can even dash in front of it and try a combo and if the combo is blocked your opponent can’t punish due to the Force Ball right behind you. With that said though, don’t become predictable and spam Enhanced Sforce Ball

Force Ball Mechanics

Using the same force ball twice in a combo will knock back your opponent. So…don’t do it.

Anti-Airs

Uppercut and Force Balls work fine.

Mix Up

Since the important strings mentioned at the beginning of the guide are safe on block you don’t need to worry about being punished outside of super fast characters (Kabal and Raiden come to mind) but after 1221 most people expect a jump in or F2B1. Go for 12B1. Last hit of that string hits low.Doesn’t do a lot of % but it keeps them on their toes which sets you up for combo’s. Also they might try to block low after a few 12b1 so try a Enhanced Acid Ball since its an over head and pops up for a free combo.

Punishes

Punish heavy framed attacks/strings/what have you with the Advanced combo’s I listed and Elbow Dash. Elbow Dash is one of the fastest moves in the game.

vs. Teleport Characters

A lot of people have said Teleporting characters (Ermac, Scorpion, Quan Chi…etc) will be a huge problem for Reptile. Especially if they are being out zoned. If you smell a teleport coming, do a Elbow Dash to get out of the way and try to get some space in order to zone again.

Vs. Nightwolf

You want to be try and be aggressive but safe since most of your zoning is worthless outside of Enhanced Acid Stream. Use Safe Pokes and dance in and out of Hatchet Range so you can punish.

I will add a lot more when it comes to mind including videos and the like.

And yes, I realize there are a lot more combo’s that I didn’t mention. I will likely add them later. Just trying to list the main ones/most practical right now.

Thanks for reading.

Play Reptile, dammit.

Reptile is an MK1 OG.

YouTube - MK9 Basic Reptile combo 2
YouTube - MK9 Basic Reptile Combo
YouTube - Random (Ermac) vs Vesper (Reptile)

On the 32 xx dash, NJP combo, you can get a slow forceball after the fast to up the damage to 45%.

Also, here’s something I managed to find experimenting:

After a dash elbow, immediately throw a meaty fast forceball. If they do not block, they will get hit. If they try to wakeup attack, it will not hit, depending on the character. Techrolls can be caught if they aren’t blocking. A good portion of the cast cannot punish this with a wakeup attack. I have not tested to see if it is exempt from wakeup X-Rays…possibly not, but I’m gonna compile the regular wakeup attacks.

This doesn’t work on the following characters as their wakeup attack will catch you: Reptile (dash elbow), Smoke (shake), Raiden (superman)
The following characters require perfect timing to not be punished: Johnny Cage (shadow kick), Ermac (lift/push), Nightwolf (shoulder), Jax (dash punch), Kano (straight ball), Baraka (blade rush), Kabal (EX spin)

It’s a great way to start up your zoning after a dash elbow.

Thank you.

gotta be reptiles easiest xray combo

[media=youtube]ttKv3mbP8sU[/media]

Contrary to the description, it’s actually a very practical combo. You will be throwing forceballs a lot, so it helps to learn it. I forgot that the less hits you do in a juggle, the less the X-Ray will scale.

It’s weird. Non-X-Ray moves will not scale as heavily in longer combos.

reptiles xray scaling is sickening. That combo does like, 43% with just 2 forceballs, and i got 14hit combo that scales to 42…what?

I mean, it’s better to be safe with the scaling than have to deal with everyone doing, like 70% damage. :slight_smile:

On another note, I think Ermac will be a matchup in our advantage. At about 1/4-1/2 screen, Ermac cannot even use his best moves. Reptile can just sit there and if he blocks a lift/push, it’s free 12% + meaty forceball. And if Reptile sits just outside max push range, he can set up a slow forceball and dash elbow in…yeah, he might get hit by push or lift, but who cares? Forceball is likely gonna knock Ermac out of it before he gets pushed back. From full screen, ducked fireballs just mean forceball gets up, and we can keep up with fireball anyway, so that range isn’t exactly fitting for Ermac either. Ermac has no mixups that lead to anything, so closeup is also not ideal. It’s just very difficult keeping Reptile at an ideal range, IMO, for Ermac…and I think Ermac is pressed to just play hit n run…reading forceballs and telepunching them, getting a bit of damage, then getting back out. That’s from my particular experiences.

i mean, i do understand that, but a combo that consists of 2 forceballs, a hit, and a xray doing 42, and a combo consisting of 7hits, 2forceballs, and an xray doing the same is honestly dumb. I wouldn’t even mind hitting 45.

Test it for yourself:
xray=33%
122-fastforceball-32-slowforceball-32-xray = 42%
fforceball-sforceball-3-xray=42%
fforceball-sforceball-32-xray=42%
122-fforceball-32-sforceball-12-xray=40% (wtf?)

for some reason it just completely stops

I had to make an account to post here with this because I haven’t seen these ones posted yet.

I haven’t done any Elbow Dash combos (Didn’t know you could until now.) But I’ve found the following:

(All on Scorpion with Fast being used first then Slow to alternate)

Mega Ball when not charged comes out quicker than Force Ball. This means that Reptile can go into more combos using Mega Ball such as the following:

3, 2, Fast Mega Ball, 3, 2, 1 (30%)
3, 2, Fast Mega Ball, 3, 2, Acid Spit (32%)
3, 2, Fast Mega Ball, 3, 2, 1, Acid Spit (34%)
3, 2, Fast Mega Ball, 3, 2, Slow Force Ball, 3, 2, 1 (37%)
3, 2, Fast Mega Ball, 3, 2, Slow Force Ball, 3, 2, Acid Spit (38%)

Otherwise most of the combos I’ve discovered are pretty much identical to the ones posted here (Except the Elbow Dash combos.)

If you want I can post up all I have found with all the damage shown and how much each would do. Most of them are pretty much repeats but it’s just a long long LONG list of findings I’ve discovered by myself.

does anyone else think that 321 slide has a nice ring to it. It’s like a dino dance number

DinoDance? i like it.

3 2 1 Slide should now officially be DinoDance

I vote 3 2 1 Dash should be DinoSprint for sounding like sounding off some sort of relay race.

DinoSprint NJ1/2 3 2 SForceball FForceball DinoDance

I like it.

Hello fellow reptilians, I seem to be having problems putting on pressure with reptile. He has good overheads but I can’t get people to block low against him, it seems his only lows are 12B2 which one does 3% or cancelling into low slide which is hella unsafe. And if I go for stuff like 122 force ball it seems like I have to commit to it because you cant hitconfirm and it just ends up being unsafe. I’ve been forced to just to 1221 which is safe but I cant really get any damage after it :confused:

122-Slide, Overhead and Low in the same string, regardless that slide is unsafe, it’ll be a while before anyone can appropriatly block that string, espically if you mix it up with 122-AcidFist. So even if they get good enough to block the overhead and then slide, mix it up so they crouch to block the slide and go in with an AcidFist. If you really want that extra damage though, and to be able to combo, 122-EXAcid fist is an easy start combo, just need a dash forward, and the good ol’ 32-forceball-32forceball. And as for the not being able to combo after 1221, what? You should be able to ElbowDash, into the same 32-force-32-force. GodLike mixup.

Didnt see this posted
122, fast force, nj 1/2, 32 slow force, 321 slide 39%

Didn’t see the j.1 321 elbowdash nj.1 forceball 32 forceball 321 slide listed. 48% and spends no meter. Really diggin’ the lizard.

I come seeking some cold-blooded assistance in executing my Reptile kombos.
More specifically following up 321 xx Whiffed Elbow Dash with a NJ.P or even with another 321…

I can connect with the NJ.P or another 321 after the whiffed dash on occasion but I can’t seem to reliably do it. It seems really arbitrary.

Anybody have any tips?

PS. Reptile rules.

Just practice as much as possible. And the elbow dash ends a lot sooner than it looks.