MK9 | Quan Chi's combos

Yeah Rune traps are really good, but are there no escapes from them, like wake-up moves are they 100% safe. Its also a good tactic with Quan Chi stagger move

What “stagger” move?

there’s certain moves in the game that give u a plus frames on hit and cause the opponent too stagger, allows you too keep up the pressure not many characters have the i think kitana has one.

But what are you saying Quan Chi’s is? His EX Skull Ball?

arr no > 1 I think it knocks the opponent back and I find it useful for setting up pressure

Oh, you mean ending a combo by doing f+1 on a standing opponent so they stagger, allowing you to set up the Rune Trap? I was thinking more along the lines of 1,1 > Sky Drop as was in the video, which (lightly, but sufficiently) staggers as well; but after a bit of testing I just did, I found that that’s the only string that combos into Sky Drop without juggling the opponent, so there doesn’t seem to be any room for further development than what was in the video other than maximizing damage before the Trance off different starters. The other stagger choices are f+1, 4, and EX Skull Ball, but 1,1, > Sky Drop seems to be the best of them both damage-wise and frame-advantage wise. EX Skull Ball actually seems to have more frame advantage, but the meter isn’t worth it and the opponent moves further away.

EDIT: Is this what you had in mind? Added these to the list as well.

The highest damage meterless combos I could find that leave the opponent standing and staggered by Quan Chi:

j.1 > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > 1,1 > Sky Drop (37%)
j.1 > f+1,2 > Trance > 1,1 > Sky Drop (18%)
j.1 > b+3,1+2 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > 1,1 > Sky Drop (32%)
j.1 > u+3 > Trance > 1,1 > Sky Drop (23%)

Also, the highest damage combos I could find that leave the opponent downed near Quan Chi:

j.1 > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > f+1,2,1+2 (39%)
j.1 > f+1,2 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop (36%)
j.1 > b+3,1+2 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > f+1,2,1+2 (38%)
j.1 > u+3 > Trance > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop (32%)

u3 > trance > b2,1 > b2,1 > b1,1 > Sky Drop (33% with no jump-in)
The sky drop does not connect but is very safe, and you can fool people with where you land. So far, I’ve found that only Raiden can punish this no matter what. Kano cannot punish a cross-up sky drop with anything. Johny Cage can only punish a cross-up sky drop with a roll wakeup dash kick. I haven’t tested this against the whole cast, but I believe you can do a regular sky drop against most of the cast safely, and you’ll be right in front of them. A cross-up sky drop will need to be used against faster wake-up moves. You can use b3,1+2>Trance at the start for the same result.

^ Well, I’ve only tried it on a few people, but Kung Lao was able to punish it as well with a roll wake-up Spin. The others were fine. And I’m realizing Sky Drop in general works a lot more effectively than f+1,2,1+2 (they can roll far away afterward) at staying near the opponent…

So, for leaving the opponent downed near Quan Chi, this would be better, right?:

j.1 > b+2,1 > Trance > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop (33%)
j.1 > b+2,1 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Sky Drop(whiff) (38%) (Difficult) (some characters can punish)
j.1 > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > 1,1,2 > Sky Drop(whiff) (37%) (more characters can punish)
j.1 > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > b+3,1+2 > Sky Drop(whiff) (36%) (some characters can punish)

j.1 > f+1,2 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop (36%)

j.1 > b+3,1+2 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Sky Drop(whiff) (36%) (Difficult) (some characters can punish)
j.1 > b+3,1+2 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > 1,1,2 > Sky Drop(whiff) (36%) (might be a bit hard to hit-confirm) (more characters can punish)
j.1 > b+3,1+2 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > b+3,1+2 > Sky Drop(whiff) (34%)
j.1 > b+3,1+2 > Trance > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop (32%)

j.1 > u+3 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Sky Drop(whiff) (36%) (Difficult) (some characters can punish)
j.1 > u+3 > Trance > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop (32%)

Did you try landing behind Kung Lao with the sky drop? He must have used ex spin to hit him right? When I tried this against the CPU, the roll went the opposite direction to where I landed when I did a cross-up sky drop. That’s why only very fast horizontal moves were able to punish it. I didn’t try it against Kung Lao, though.

I would only do a sky drop whiff when doing a juggle combo that starts with trance. Combos ending with trance should just be ended with 1,1,sky drop for the stagger.

^ He’s punishing both Sky Drop positions with his Spin/EX Spin.
Trance > b+3,1+2 > Sky Drop(whiff) is actually feeling pretty safe, but yeah, either stagger or damage seems to be the way to go off b+2,1 and b+3,1+2; the stagger combos off other starters are really weak though.

Wow, regular spin has that much range that a rolled wake-up could punish? Against CPU, a roll went the opposite direction when I went behind them, so only fast horizontal attacks could hit from that distance. Damn. So, Raiden, Kung Lao and Cage can punish with no EX, I think. I am unsure about Kano: I know he can’t from behind, but not sure if he can from the front. It’s really annoying testing this against the CPU because they do random wake-ups. We should compile a list to find out who can punish and how.

Well, against the CPU, my cross-up Sky Drop(whiff) is causing them to roll in my direction, anyway. I don’t know what you’re doing differently. On a related note: Kung Lao’s done teleport on wake-up 11 times in a row, now >_> Makes it even more of a pain when I reset to speed things up; he keeps his super armor from his EX moves. In fact, it lasts longer.

Sometimes they rolled towards me; sometimes they didn’t. I think it depends on how fast the teleport comes out.

Well, I’m buffering the input before the 1 in b+1,1 connects, so it should be teleporting me as soon as possible, right? Actually, I’m getting the same situation you are, now. It’s seemingly random which way the opponent rolls. If anything, I’d say it’s dependent on the opponent catching the roll window near the end or beginning of the window, but I’d think the CPU would be consistent… so I’m not sure. Also, yeah when he rolls away, only his EX Spin catches you.

I think teleporting in front (holding back) should give a consistent distance from rolls. I don’t think I tested this. I was mostly concerned with teleporting on top or behind.

Edit: teleporting in front is consistent, but it creates a bit more distance. It still pushes the opponent towards the corner, so I think it is still useful.

b+3,1+2 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Ground Burst (Far) (40%) No Meter (Difficult)

dude am finding this very useful for baiting crouch block its a beast combo for one overhead!

^ Are you actually pulling that off online?

@Xstatic: Doesn’t letting them roll too far away like that defeat the purpose of using Sky Drop(whiff) to stay on top of them, though?

occasional if the connections good, it’s hard because the last dash is difficult even offline.

^ Yeah, it wasn’t my intention for that one to actually be used much, but I’ve gotten the hang of it personally; just not online. The stagger pressure/damage potential is looking really good off that starter, though: 32%+13% per Rune Trap. Even better off b+2,1. Stagger might be worth it on the others with 2 or 3 bars, though.

It still keeps them relatively close, though. If they roll and do nothing, they are pushed towards the corner, worst case scenario. If they do a wake-up attack, they will be punished. It still keeps pressure on, so it’s still useful IMO.