MK9 | Quan Chi's combos

^ Having played a lot of Blazblue, I find it a lot easier to input half-circle back > forward than the actual input. That might just be me, though. And again, the stagger off b+3,1+2 is looking preferable for the most part; you only need one bar, and you do more damage and continue pressure.

So far, it’s looking like the generally preferred midscreen combos are:

j.1 > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > 1,1 > Sky Drop (37%) No Meter (Staggers)
j.1 > f+1,2 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Ground Burst (Far) (38%) No Meter
j.1 > f+1,2 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop (36%) No Meter (Downs opponent near Quan Chi)
j.1 > b+3,1+2 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > 1,1 > Sky Drop (32%) No Meter (Staggers)
j.1 > u+3 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Ground Burst (Far) (40%) No Meter (Difficult)
j.1 > u+3 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Sky Drop(whiff) (36%) (Downs opponent near Quan Chi; some characters can punish)
j.1 > u+3 > Trance > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop (32%) No Meter (Downs opponent near Quan Chi)

Would this be inaccurate? Perhaps the Nj.1 version of the last combo? The other two starters’ stagger combos?

You’re right about the b3,1+2. it’s best to do the stagger combo afterwards.

yeah it soo much easier too land it am staring to think quan chi is a really good character but a technical character, when i 1st started using him i thought he was decent, but not a lot of characters can get 40% of overhead with no meter, or trade with projectiles and power up lol, am also finding the far ground burst hard too pull off sometimes i thinks its because of the games negative edge inputs.

Those staggers are setting you up for rune traps i guess?

Yeah, and 1 bar is all you need for Rune Traps off b+3,1+2 and b+2,1 to definitely be worth it. And agreed, I hate the negative edge in this game; made it a pain to learn that I couldn’t use skeletal boost after b+1,1 (had to hold 1 so it wouldn’t negative edge and give me ground burst).

arr nice I been trying too cancel skeletal boost with all his normals i assumed that your couldn’t chain it b+1,1 chains?

And yeah those traps well get you around 52% if u went with your 37% stagger combo gota hit the lab

So off of u3 or naked trance, would it be better to go for the damage of the ground burst or a whiff teleport? Against those who have no wake-up option against a teleport that lands on top of them, a roll is risky, so I think this would be the best option against those characters. Against those who require a frontal teleport to be safe (like Kano) I am unsure.

Depends. Off ground-to-ground naked Trance, you can do b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop (29%) and stay near the opponent as well. Off ground-to-air naked Trance or u+3 > Trance… I’d generally go with the Sky Drop(whiff) ender for characters who have no wake-up punish; but against those who do… I’d personally go for Nj.1 > dash > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop after the Trance, but I could also see working well the Ground Burst ender or the Sky Drop(whiff) ender (as long as the whiff is the safe one). Again, though, stagger might be worth it if you have a lot of meter.

Thanks. I’m going to use those j.4>sky drop combos instead of the ground burst. I generally like to go for pressure situations instead of a bit extra damage. I like keeping momentum going, but that’s just my play style

If I felt sure the character I was dealing with was a close-range pressure character, I’d give more priority to staying close… but to be honest, I’m not really sure what Quan Chi is.
Well, to keep it simple for now, at least until those two videos get put up and the main post gets updated, I’ll stick to this, personally:
b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > 1,1 > Sky Drop
f+1,2 > Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop
b+3,1+2 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > 1,1 > Sky Drop
u+3 > Trance > Nj.1 > dash > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop
Trance > b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop
"Cannonballing" Punish:
b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > dash > b+1,1 > Trance > 1,1 > Sky Drop

After trying your j.4> sky drop combos after u3 and naked trance, I think my set-up is obsolete. Your combo is a lot easier and works on everyone with only 2% less damage.

I find timing the b+2,1 after Nj.1 a bit odd, personally. I plan on getting used to it unless I find something better, but it seems a bit risky at the moment for me.

So after watching Floe’s Ermac, I realized that Quan Chi’s zoning is very similar. He was using Ermac fireball and push move, which is very similar to Quan’s skull and trance. Unlike Ermac’s push move, Quan Chi obviously can hit combos after it. I think a zoning style Quan is going to be very lethal. These are the combos I’m using after Trance:

Trance, b21, ff, b21, j3, drop (29%)
Trance, b21, ff, b21, ff, f21, skull (29%)
Trance, b21, ff, b21, f211+2 (30%)

The first combo starts pressure. the second and third are used to push the opponent far in front or behind. You can substitute f21, skull for b11, far burst for an extra 2%. I’ve been getting better at that combo, but it’s pissing me off. I’m doing qcb,f1 and it will often give me a MID burst… doesn’t make sense.

I’m using Trance, b21, ff, b21, j3, drop (29%) instead of Trance, nj1, b21, j3, drop because it does more damage and is pretty easy. It’s very hard to do this follow up after u3, Trance, though. These are my u3, trance combos:

u3, Trance, nj1, ff, b21, j3, drop (31%)
u3, Trance, b21, ff, b21, ff, uppercut (34%)

Again, the first is for pressure and the second is for distance.

Yeah, as said earlier, the ground-to-ground Trance means no juggle hits have been performed yet, so b+2,1 > dash > b+2,1 > j.4 > Sky Drop should work easily. I don’t even think it’s possible to do that midscreen if Trance hits an aerial opponent, as that would increase the opponent’s downward acceleration too much. And again, I’m not really sure what Quan Chi is supposed to do… perhaps zone until he has meter for Rune Trap, then get in and either stay in or get out and zone again? He doesn’t seem to have a particular strategy to me… seems a bit versatile, I suppose.

There doesn’t seem to be any extra difficulty off a mid-air trance.

Trance doesn’t hit people at the peak of their jump, while Ermac’s push can. His levitation attack has the same dead zone as Quan’s trance. Ermac seems to be focused on keep away. He doesn’t have much in the way of mix-ups. Quan Chi looks to have tools for offence and defense. I love it.

I guess the inital hit doesn’t count as a juggle hit then and doesn’t affect the opponent’s downward acceleration. I wonder why I thought that earlier. :confused: Could’ve sworn I tested that out before. Ah, well.

Right now the main combos I’ve been doing are at midscreen b.3,1+2 dash 2,1 trance 1,1 xx skydrop. After that I usually go for a rune traps for free damage.

If I don’t want to use the meter I’ll just end it with f.1,2,1+2

I’ve also caught people by just doing 1,1 dash throw or reset to 1,1,2 trance after the first trance (don’t know if it’s been said but the it takes 5 steps from the opponent for you to recover)

I also do b.2,1 dash b.2,1 dash 1,1,2 trance midscreen as well.

In the corner I go for b.2,1, j.1 ,b.2,1, 2,1 xx trance (followed by rune traps reset etc.)

Those ones seem to be the most reliable for me, b.3,2+1 , 2,1,2(?) trance works the best for mixing up that I’ve found.

Don’t forget that you can control skydrop so if a combo looks like it sends ten too far hold the joystick :r: or :l: and skydrop should connect.

Im getting 48% from my usual rune trap BnB, also i think they should pre patch some stuff for quan chi, atm you can’t b 2, 1 wait and skeletal boost for any rests if you get a damage boost it fades,

Thought some of y’all may be interested in a couple Quan Chi combos I discovered.

The first one I basically consider his BNB, but I end with his x-ray that has absolutely shocking range.

The last two combos demonstrate the usefulness of his up+3 overhead. Let me know what you think.

one i came up with:
j.1,f+12,trance,b+21,dash,b+21,f+12,skull ball
(36%)

Hey Quan Chi users. I just made a combo video with really high percent damage X-Ray’s and some strong BnB’s both with boost and without boost.

Check it out! And read the description I dropped a little nugget on you guys concerning an extra percent you can get out of the X-Ray combos.