MK9 | Keeper of the Magic Stick: The Jade Thread

This is an online tag match with me, subz and my brother who plays Jade. Rang setups are real nice and can lead into a guaranteed ground freeze with sub if they are forced to block the second hit of ex boomerang. Anyways he has some real nice work with Jades green flash in this vid too. I been on his ass to use it more, shit is too good. :slight_smile:

I wanna improve my gameplay with Jade, so I’ve got some points for you :slight_smile:

1. How can I get out of Target Kombo Pressure Spam by Cage and others?
    ad 1) We tested it yesterday. After a blocked String just walk backwards and punish with b+1. You can be punished by a Dash Target Kombo though. Alternatively punish him with a well timed 1,2,1 Target Kombo to get some space.
  2. How can I punish backrolls after Knockdown?
  3. Which is the STRONGEST Midscreen/Corner Kombo? No matter what Target Kombo to begin with - its about Reversal EX Flash Punish :slight_smile:
  4. Is her Uppercut not as good as others or do I simply suck with it?

a) Up+3 is a good Poke in my opinion. It Kombos itself in the corner.
b) After Random Flash Kicks or Flash Kicks in Kombos (i usually do b+1, db+2, dash, b+2, dash, 4, df+4 and can follow with EX Boomerang, dash in and start Mixups or another Block String)

I havent seen this anywhere but one way to hit low with jade is to do forward 2 -> ex low boomerang. The forward 2 hits from a good distance away and combos into the ex low boomerang for a back 1 into bnb. If they block the forward 2 then they have to block low or eat a full combo. It doesnt solve the low problem because it requires a bar but it cant hurt.

That 1st fatality is way too hard, how am I supposed to do that?

I would suggest going into the Fatality Trainer and just learning how to tap out the rhythm, it actually isn’t that hard with a little practice; plus, you can do it from full screen, so distance really isn’t an issue as long as you are out of sweep.

You have to hold block for the ups.

I really want to see a a good Jade use the boomerang resets in a tournament against good players. It’s pretty much 99% successful online, but I would like to see the actual usefulness in a realistic scenario.

Beginner Question

How do you skip the block animation with EX b,f+3 ?

Whenever I input b,f+3+block she puts her hands up to block as she is turning purple, and I lose valuable invulnerable time.

IMHO the boomerang resets aren’t even that good on opponent’s wakeup since they can remain on the ground by holding down, cause the return boomerang to miss. :confused:

It only does the block animation the longer you hold it. Simply do a very quick tap and release and you won’t see a thing. I’m using a stick though, so if you’re using a pad, I’m not sure how it would be different.

I’m losing a lot of faith in this character. Her normals are shit, and I can’t seem to punish anything. Sure she can do a few tricks when shes lucky enough to get a mid hit off an attack with really slow startup frames, but other than that, its a rough world out there.

Really wish there was an option in practice that lets you record what the com does, kinda like in SF4. That would REALLY help.

Yes, I hate to admit it, but she lacks necessary tools which almost every other character has.

But hey, she still has EX shadow flash which is like the best move in the game.

I dunno. Was thinking of picking up Cyrax…

I dunno. Don’t give up on her yet. She’s gonna get better. Already received armor on some ex moves. Plus I wouldn’t want to be a Cyrax player post-patch.

what did 1.02 even do to jade?

Really? I haven’t been keeping up on the patches that much. I guess I should look up a change log.

I don’t know about you guys, but I think Jade’s an absolute beast in this game. Good use of EX Glow means she gets more combo opportunities than her opponent, she has great setups with EX boomerangs. She has by far the best wake-up games out of any character IMO, and she’s got a lot of great matchups.

Here’s this. It was good to see Jade shenanigans performed in real matches.

edit: in case… you know… you didn’t see it on the main page… sigh

I was praticing Jade earlier today and I noticed some stuff too. Might not be as useful but I’ll list it.

1.) 3, 4, EX Boomerang Up
Once this move trips them up, the boomerang will of course miss and once they get back up, the boomerang comes back.

2.) ANY OF HER BnB COMBOS THAT END WITH SHADOW KICK
I only use one Shadow Kick because it positions her at a distance good enough for her EX Boomerang shenanigans.

3.) b+1, f+1 … EX Boomerang Up
Well, I haven’t tried this in an actual match but the second hit knocks down and allows for the Boomerang setup again.

4.) (CORNER) b+1, QCB+2, u+3, d+1, QCF+4, 1 - 2, QCF+2
Just a fun pretty corner combo.

I really like jade, but I think she is kinda slow. She has a range that no other character has in this game, so it might be a good idea to keep yourselves a little distant from the opponent and benefit from that.

Thanks for sharing your Jade video, I have been picking Jade since the first time I used her in Story Mode in MK9. I have discovered some combos before but there are bnb combos. Also I didn’t know that Jade has a reset and it should be useful because I have been playing players online that does wake up teleports (e.g Scorpion, Smoke, and Ermac) and I fall for that sometimes.

Always liked jade. She is the female with the most unique moves.

You gotta to lose before you can win. Never forget the time when I got my ass handed to me by a really good jade player.

The MK section is really dead here… I’m wondering whether or not if I put in work, will it be appreciated? Or shat on here? Hmmm…