MK9 | Hell Fire and Brimstone: Scorpion

[media=youtube]ssZAMhjVMBs[/media]
[media=youtube]UHIeLqpSdjI[/media]

So guys how do you feel about scorpion? I’m kinda a fan of him, and I’m about to get my copy tommorow so I’m interested how does he feel, like tier-list wise? Yeah, yeah I know, the game’s out only a week, what tier-list are u talking about and all that, but you know what I mean. Like is he fast? Slow? What’s he’s flaws? Does he have a good mix-up game? Lot’s of lows? Are he’s combo’s easy and all that good stuff.

As far as I can tell from messing around with the demo I think scorpion is mid-tier. Maybe top mid/A-tier if people can discover some good setups for his Hell Fire move (which I fancy a lot, I think it’s a really interesting and unique move), and will actually have a good mind game.
Like I think he has a really good tools for mixup game, lot’s of overheads (and one really good one which leads to a full juggle combo), lot’s of lows (most of which are safe), his Hell Fire can make a person come to you instead of turteling and zoning.
But at the same time he seem’s kinda slow. His teleport I think is the slowest in the game, and it doest even give you a combo or at least a special move oppotunity unleess you cornered youre opponent and used an EX version, ALL his special are unsafe on block, and he doesn’t really have a good get-in tool like he should.
And I think he’s combos (it’s all demo talk here) are not the easiest in the game. Like I screw his overhead into air kick teleport combo a LOT. And since it’s really one of his best combos to pull it make’s him harder to use then all other characters I’ve played so far (which are only 4 characters anyway xD)

Sooo what’s youre thoughts?

His bnb seems to be any kind of mix up with the fp,fp,spear and then you pretty much rely on his launcher moves such as < bp and nj fp/bp.

I’ve noticed, and it’s probably just because of the way that I play, that most of his comboing is done in the air.

His teleport isn’t safe at all. Really, I wouldn’t count on it for a decent counter, but it can get you out of the corner in a pinch. The EX teleport isn’t bad. It’s got an extra hit and I think the first hit has armor.

The Ex hellfire is your friend. If you can, if you have the bar, always finish off a combo with Eh hellfire. It wont be counted for a part of the combo, but it’s free 8% damage to the opponent. Apparently, only Raiden is fast enough to escape it on pop up, so anyone else, you have that knock down advantage.

I haven’t successfully comboed hellfire into anything. I don’t see a reason to.

Honestly, a lot of his moves seem kind of unsafe. At least against the computer from what I’ve noticed. I tend to like to stay in really close with Scorpion and then sometimes work him midrange.

I’m not the best scorpion player by a long shot and I’m sure a lot of people would understand him better than I, this is just my experience with him. A bunch of stuff was changed on Scorpion since the demo.

One thing I will say, his meatiest combos DO seem to be fairly simple. He is my main though. I think anyone who commits to a character is going to have that kind of advantage.

So yeah, you’re gonna LOVE this game, dude.

Also, if you like Scorpion, you might want to look into Ermac as a secondary.

Haa thanks man. Nice info, I’m really glad that he’s Hell Fire move can be utilized nicely, happy about that.

It’s interesting that unlike most of the other cast Scorpion seems to benefit a LOT from his EX moves. Like I don’t see anybode use EX’s with Ermac or say Kung Lao, but our boy on the other hand seems to have much he can do with he’s enhanced moves, like counter a projectile on reaction with and EX Spear, or use EX hell fire to add an extra 8 precent of damage after a combo, or use EX teleport punch to be able to perform a corner combo. Makes him much more tactical in my eyes compared to the other fighters.

Don’t know why Boon always said that Scorpion is a simple character, he looks much more complicated then anticipated which I like :smiley:

Honestly, if you’re trying to get combos down for 2D fighting games, I consider an arcade stick mandatory. The precision in inputs is much higher. Obviously there are many players who play on pad, but they become very few and far between at higher levels of competition. Just my two cents, but I’ve been playing fighting games for a long time now, and since switching to arcade sticks I would never, ever switch back to using pads. The difference is night and day, but that being said a (decent) arcade stick can cost a fair chunk of change, so you’ll have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

I feel the same about his Take down special. My biggest problem with using it is that Scorpion himself takes too long to recover on hit. So by the time I get the opponents face, they’re already fully recovered.

There’s no reason to combo into hell fire. it’s not meant to be used in combos and the ex version is there to finish the round or match. It’s unblockable for a reason.

Use hellfire to make the other players jump and smack em with a teleport combo. If they block, expecting a teleport, light em up with hell fire. It could even be used offensively during blockstrings as a third option(high, low, unblockable).

One of the problems with scorpion players(aside from teleporting retards) is how they manage their meter. I’m the type that never uses ex moves. His x-ray IMO is just too good.

And the take down special? i use it as part of a low-hit combo. The recovery is bad, even on hit, but at least you’re in and that is exactly where you want to be with scorpion.

I have a scorp alt outfit, anyone wanna trade it for sub-zero? (360)

After messing around with Scorpion in training mode a bit I was really impressed by how strong his High/Low mixup game is. He has two very different overheads in B+BP and the second hit in BPxxFP+BP. Both of these attacks lead to strong combos that do over 25% damage midscreen and set the opponent up for a very long-range low attack F+BK which also combos for over 33% damage.

B+BP functions as a pretty standard fighting game overhead with a slow startup. The best combo I could come up with off of it was:

B+BP, fj.FKxxTeleport, fd, FPxxFPxxFPxxSpear, BPxxFPxxTakeout for 29% damage

BPxxFP+BP behaves really interestingly as an overhead. After a whiffed or blocked BP, the FP+BP overhead comes out incredibly quickly and has tons of range. That and it pushes the opponent back significantly on block meaning it should be a difficult punish even if they block the spear afterwards. Assuming a whiffed/blocked BP, optimum damage can be achieved one of two ways:

BP(whiff)xxFP+BPxxSpear, fj.FKxxTeleport, fd, FPxxFPxxTakeout or
BP(whiff)xxFB+BPxxTeleport, fd, FPxxFPxxFPxxSpear, BPxxFBxxTakeout for 28% damage

Both of these combos have stricter timings, the first one with the very late hitting fj.FK and the second one with the fd to FP after the Teleport.

Once the other player learns to respect how quickly you can overhead from outside of sweep range, you can start using F+BK to initiate a combo with a low from outside of sweep range:

F+BKxxSpear, nj.BP, fd, B+BP, fj.FKxxTeleport, fd, FPxxFPxxTakeout for 36% damage

Or at least I’m assuming it’s from outside of sweep range. All of this was figured over an hour in training mode yesterday and I probably won’t get a chance to pop back into practice mode until Monday. Still, Scorpion seems to have a lot more offensive potential than most other characters.

Scorp’s B+BP has a really strange hit box to it. I have done a lot of really weird stuff. I have randomly AAed with it that lead to a combo that did over 30% damage.

Its a really strong tool for him that not a lot of Scorpion players use.

Interesting, I’ll have to try this out.

It’s funny you mention it, because I was going to post for anyone who is new to MK, a lot of old (ie, mk 1-3) scorpion tricks work. You can anti-air with fp -> teleport punch -> spear -> combo. I’m sure there is something that is higher damage anti-air tho.

Also, against teleport characters (ie, Raiden) you can hold block, tap forward, forward and then if he teleports hit LP and the forwards will count as backs and your spear comes out instantly. If Raiden doesn’t teleport you can just keep tapping forward in anticipation, or release block and get the dash forward…or just hold block and do nothing.

shoot i use B+BP i make sure they learn to fear it just getting hit with that attack is guaranteed 35 to 38 percent love the mind games it can cause too cause just when they think oh he gonna bounce boom you continue the pressure string and when they start to fear the crouching block you hit them with F+BK,FK and you essentially confuse them cause they really dont know where to block. whenever in FP range you can B+BP and catch a bounce its a beautifully devastating move

F+BK xx Spear is so good, yet I don’t see many scorpion players using it.

hey guys this was posted on the test your might forums. it can really help with mix ups from a far-mid range. making scorpions teleport punch safe … especially jumping over projectiles to land on the other side for a big combo

[media=youtube]18SvlMtPGRQ&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Midscreen bnbs: FK:1 BP:2 FK:3 BK:4 aj:angled jump

f+4 > spear > nj1 > b+2 > aj3 > teleport > 33 > takedown (36%)

aj1 > 21 > spear > nj1> b+2 > aj3 > teleport > aj3 > teleport (43%)

aj1 > 21 > spear > nj1 > b+2 > aj3 > teleport > aj3 > air grab (40%)

aj1 > 21 > spear > nj1 > b+2 > aj3 > teleport > ex hellfire (37%) <— could be wrong il check later

just found out how to safe port with scorpion jump and right before you hit the ground teleprort and it goes into the whiff motion allowing instant block or x-ray or whatever you wanna use hope im not too late telling others this

I actually havea similar combo as you except my ending is a little different but they do the same damage. My bnb is aj1,11,spear,nj1,b+2,aj3,teleport punch, dash, 11, takedown.

found some more:
aj1 > 2 > 1+2 > teleport > dash > 11 > spear > aj1 > 21 > takedown (35%)

aj1 > 21 > spear > aj1 > b+2 > aj3 > teleport > 1 > dash > 11 > takedown (37%)

aj1 > b+2 > aj3 > teleport > dash > 1 > dash > 11 > spear > aj1 > 11> takedown (31%)

my contribution,an improvement of the classic already posted: aj1 > 11 > spear > nj1 > b+2 > aj3 > teleport > aj3 > air grab > EX hellfire (50%)

yeah scorps got alot of variations on the same combo pretty decent