MK9 | Hell Fire and Brimstone: Scorpion

First off, forgive me if there’s already a thread about Scorpion. There was a couple of things I found a little weird about him.

First off, in the demo (I never got to play), Scorpion is seen doing a whole hell of a lot of damage, as was the other characters.

However, I’ve been playing my ass off with Scorpion for hours now and I’ve only ever luckily peaked at a 7 hit 27~31% combo.

I start off with a jump in X, X, X, EX SPEAR, Y, X, Y. If this is done, you tend to get the 7 hit 31% combo. But truth be told, this is kind of a tough combo for me to do. Usually, it ends up being a 6 hit combo with a regular spear because the EX isn’t reading right or something, giving me a decent 24~26% damage. It’s not bad considering you could pull this off 4 times in a fight and win… virtually.

Thing is, the whole combo thing that I do starts off with that very basic combination with the spear. After the spear, I usually mix up the second half of the combo with just about anything for variety.

But I have a feeling that this is a very n00bish approach to Scorpion and right now, my fingers really hurt.

So is there something I’m missing? I like starting combos off like this, but I just kind of want to expand my repertoire a little bit more.

Also… I’m loving the EX Hellfire move to just throw out there after a combo is completed. It’s weird because it’s unavoidable, but it’s never counted as part of the combo. But you can add an extra 8% damage for free. Regular hellfire can’t seem to do this and it only does 7% damage.

So what about you guys? What’s your experience with the specter of Hell?

Could you not use X-Box controller buttons please? Not all of us have 360s and one can get confused on what their PS3 equivalent is @3@
It’d also help if you used direction buttons such as
:u::uf::db::ub:
as far as Front Punch/Kick and Back Punch/Kick, just use :lp:, :lk:, :hp:, :hk: respectively.

Sorry about that. I’m new. I’ll translate:

jump in X, X, X, EX SPEAR, Y, X, Y

jump in FP, FP, FP, EX SPEAR, FP, BP, FP

All the combos I’m doing right now are more or less the same up to the spear move and then another combo is done. Each combo is about 6 moves to 7 moves with damage ranging from 18 to 31% damage.

At least you aren’t just spamming teleport like a retard like everyone else does… >.>

Teleporting is boring and I find that move to be really unsafe. Teleport Ex isn’t bad, but it’s limited, you know.

I only teleport if I KNOW it will counter someone else’s projectile move.

I see no fun in spamming a single move over and over. I at least like to make the game look good when I play.

Got anything else or tips for Scorpion? Corner combos I think are too rare of an occurrence with my friend. We pretty much keep the game in the center.

Try this combo: jump in fp, fp,fp cancel into spear, neutral jump fp, back+bp, teleport, dash forward immediately, juggle with fp,fp cancel into leg takedown. 11 hits 38 percent. Add ex’s if you want.

Man i get so much hate online for using scorpion. Which is funny cuz i wouldnt even consider him top 5 characters.

God, that sounds sexy. Now if only my blistered thumb will heal.

I don’t mean to double post, but I noticed a lot of problems with my ability to string stronger combos has to do with my controller I think.

I got up to about a 9 hit combo that did about 32% damage based on ^^'s combo.

I need a better controller I think. I don’t have a problem with the timing of the combos or I just wouldn’t be able to do them at all. But the game is picking up my inputs as up or down when I’m clearly pressing back or what feels like back. I can only imagine the reason is because the 360 d pad is just one big button and if you’re pressing a back or forward movement even the slightest bit, it’ll register as a jump, angled jump, or duck.

b2 j3 (or 4) teleport punch dash 12spear 224 ex fire/j3 (or 4) > air throw/111

ex fire, jkick > air throw and 111 are the finishers you can use.

back+BP, jump FK/BK, teleport punch fp bp spear fk fk bk ex fire/j.fk > Airthrow/fp fp fp for those who don’t like the numbers.

try this combo i came up with

[media=youtube]Ov_YNOcfAmc[/media]

Nice corner combo on the first there. I’m starting to wonder if that’s what Scorpion is meant to do; get his opponent in the corner.

I’ve noticed a whole lot of his best combos are based on the corner.

I need to start ending my combos with the takedown move

Nick, try ji FP, FP, FP, (ex) spear, nJ FP, dash, <- BP, ji FK, Teleport punch, ji FK/BK, Air throw.

It’s super nifty, man.

hey dude didn’t realize i was copping off of ur shit. nice… got me thinking… if u have ur oppenent cornered u can do 21spear, jump over opponent come down on them with auto correcting air fp and do f21 ex telepunch b2

[media=youtube]ssZAMhjVMBs[/media]
[media=youtube]UHIeLqpSdjI[/media]

So guys how do you feel about scorpion? I’m kinda a fan of him, and I’m about to get my copy tommorow so I’m interested how does he feel, like tier-list wise? Yeah, yeah I know, the game’s out only a week, what tier-list are u talking about and all that, but you know what I mean. Like is he fast? Slow? What’s he’s flaws? Does he have a good mix-up game? Lot’s of lows? Are he’s combo’s easy and all that good stuff.

As far as I can tell from messing around with the demo I think scorpion is mid-tier. Maybe top mid/A-tier if people can discover some good setups for his Hell Fire move (which I fancy a lot, I think it’s a really interesting and unique move), and will actually have a good mind game.
Like I think he has a really good tools for mixup game, lot’s of overheads (and one really good one which leads to a full juggle combo), lot’s of lows (most of which are safe), his Hell Fire can make a person come to you instead of turteling and zoning.
But at the same time he seem’s kinda slow. His teleport I think is the slowest in the game, and it doest even give you a combo or at least a special move oppotunity unleess you cornered youre opponent and used an EX version, ALL his special are unsafe on block, and he doesn’t really have a good get-in tool like he should.
And I think he’s combos (it’s all demo talk here) are not the easiest in the game. Like I screw his overhead into air kick teleport combo a LOT. And since it’s really one of his best combos to pull it make’s him harder to use then all other characters I’ve played so far (which are only 4 characters anyway xD)

Sooo what’s youre thoughts?

His bnb seems to be any kind of mix up with the fp,fp,spear and then you pretty much rely on his launcher moves such as < bp and nj fp/bp.

I’ve noticed, and it’s probably just because of the way that I play, that most of his comboing is done in the air.

His teleport isn’t safe at all. Really, I wouldn’t count on it for a decent counter, but it can get you out of the corner in a pinch. The EX teleport isn’t bad. It’s got an extra hit and I think the first hit has armor.

The Ex hellfire is your friend. If you can, if you have the bar, always finish off a combo with Eh hellfire. It wont be counted for a part of the combo, but it’s free 8% damage to the opponent. Apparently, only Raiden is fast enough to escape it on pop up, so anyone else, you have that knock down advantage.

I haven’t successfully comboed hellfire into anything. I don’t see a reason to.

Honestly, a lot of his moves seem kind of unsafe. At least against the computer from what I’ve noticed. I tend to like to stay in really close with Scorpion and then sometimes work him midrange.

I’m not the best scorpion player by a long shot and I’m sure a lot of people would understand him better than I, this is just my experience with him. A bunch of stuff was changed on Scorpion since the demo.

One thing I will say, his meatiest combos DO seem to be fairly simple. He is my main though. I think anyone who commits to a character is going to have that kind of advantage.

So yeah, you’re gonna LOVE this game, dude.

Also, if you like Scorpion, you might want to look into Ermac as a secondary.

Haa thanks man. Nice info, I’m really glad that he’s Hell Fire move can be utilized nicely, happy about that.

It’s interesting that unlike most of the other cast Scorpion seems to benefit a LOT from his EX moves. Like I don’t see anybode use EX’s with Ermac or say Kung Lao, but our boy on the other hand seems to have much he can do with he’s enhanced moves, like counter a projectile on reaction with and EX Spear, or use EX hell fire to add an extra 8 precent of damage after a combo, or use EX teleport punch to be able to perform a corner combo. Makes him much more tactical in my eyes compared to the other fighters.

Don’t know why Boon always said that Scorpion is a simple character, he looks much more complicated then anticipated which I like :smiley:

Honestly, if you’re trying to get combos down for 2D fighting games, I consider an arcade stick mandatory. The precision in inputs is much higher. Obviously there are many players who play on pad, but they become very few and far between at higher levels of competition. Just my two cents, but I’ve been playing fighting games for a long time now, and since switching to arcade sticks I would never, ever switch back to using pads. The difference is night and day, but that being said a (decent) arcade stick can cost a fair chunk of change, so you’ll have to weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

I feel the same about his Take down special. My biggest problem with using it is that Scorpion himself takes too long to recover on hit. So by the time I get the opponents face, they’re already fully recovered.