Matchup thread - laura

This matchups is FREE for Gief. How anyone says this shit is even or close to it is beyond me. Gief has to mess up LARGE to lose this one.

You can literally beat Laura with 2-4 buttons: st hk (aka fuck fireballs from most places on screen), headbutt (eats most of her normals) and st lp/Lariat (no jump ins). The SPD is just bonus fear/damage.

When Laura’s playstyle turn into zoning, yeah, she’s done for.

Again, FREE for Gief.

I’m tending to agree with you Alkipot. Gief’s buttons shut Laura down hard in neutral and she has to take some serious risks to get in. Her best chance is to counter poke with her st.hk and hope to land some crush counters. I see this as a matchup where Laura gets beat up in neutral and hopes to inflict enough damage, trade enough with Gief, that when she gets the V trigger she can land a hit, do the combo, then succeed on the reset and kill Gief. Even her V trigger reset shennanigans are going to be hard vs Gief because of lariat and 1 frame super.

actually i feel it is pretty close to even.

yes she cant throw fireballs but someone that knows the matchup doesnt throw them. she excells at wiff punish, when you play a good one, she will wait for you to wiff a St HK and punish with st jab 236p after that it is mixup city as she is plus 2. i used to think she lost the neutral as well but that was because most lauras either rush down with no fear or walk back to throw fireballs and then rush down without fear. someone that knows the matchup the neutral is in your favor but not by much. she has faster walkspeed and faster buttons and is plus on most of them. i dont see how that is free for Gief.