Matchup Thread -- Ed

Mom’s spaghetti is coming to SFV somewhere in the future and it’s never too soon to talk about what may give us troubles against the psycho boxer.

Let’s look at what he has:

Psycho Upper (PP) - it’s his DP. Regular version has no invincibility whatsoever and it’s -16 on block, so you can punish it with any heavy starter combo (unfortunately not f+HP). EX version is fully invincible, but it’s also extremely slow and like Urien’s reversal you can whiff buttons in his face and still be safe. I did st. LP (blocked) > st./cr. LK and was still able to block it.

Psycho Rising (KK) - this move is fireball invincible on startup and will beat you out of st. HP xx EX fake blockstrings. On the other hand if you manage to block it you get a full CC combo on it.

Psycho Shot (f+MP > P) - his projectile. Very fast recovery, almost impossible to get a jump on him on reaction. He can also fake it out to bait a jump and punish you with Psycho Rising (which can autocorrect since it’s only two kick buttons) or with AA VS. Globally I don’t think it’s a good idea to try and jump over the fireball.

V-Skill - the uncharged version cancels fireball but leaves him with an extremely long recovery. The charged version goes through the fireball and either snatches you for a full combo or gives him 3f of advantage, so I suggest to just try and block it if it went through your fireball or to jump on him if you see him doing that in neutral (beware though with the last option because he has an AA version of it).

Psycho Knuckle (hold HP) - he should never be able to land this on you in neutral with your fireballs on screen. You can also just block it and have him -2 into grab range.

cr. MK - pay attention to this normal because it has a lot of range and he will probably use it a lot to stuff your fireballs.

Beware also on jumping on him because he has EXTREMELY good anti-airs.

Overall Ed doesn’t seem to have any tools against throws other than his DPs, which you can therefore bait and punish hard, and his walk speed. You should take this MU pretty much as something in between Rog and Ryu.

Great post