Maki Combos and Glitches

List your favorite combos here using standard abbreviation conventions. Include the proper damage from the training data in training mode.

In order to get an accurate number, make sure to set your character’s super meter to either “Normal” or “Max Start” because “Infinity” and “Recover” will give the combo an illegal damage boost. Also, make sure to perform the combo against P-Groove or A-Groove because some of the other grooves have meter-based defense bonuses. Finally, make sure to perform the combo when the opponent has a full lifebar, because otherwise the damage will be reduced depending on how low the opponent’s health is.

Also, discuss any glitches or bugs the character has, not including Roll Cancel. RC discussion belongs in a strategy thread.

I’m curious about her qcf+k, rh then air grab cancel. Can someone explain the properties on this and if it’s actually beneficial in gameplay? Is the window on the air grab cancel pretty strict? I’ve screwed around with it after reading about it on the video-opera a-groove guide on maki, but haven’t had much success on even getting it out.

wTF they already have a vid about this??? Argh… I guess that’s one thing that won’t be completely new in my vid :stuck_out_tongue:

edit: oh ok it says you “read” about it… my bad. guess it will be the first time that technique has been shown in a video then. i didn’t even know people knew about this on srk yet. i learned it from kindebu as he was showing random crazy shit post-evo in the hotel. which a-Maki guide are you talking about? can you link me or something?

in response to your question:
yeah, the timing for the cancel is pretty strict. learn to double-tap whichever button you’re using to cancel. double-tapping or drumming buttons gives you a lot more slack executing this cancel.

properties… um, well from what i noticed (hours of trying random shit for my vid).

1. it doesn’t seem to work on taller characters (i guess maki doesn’t jump high enough to reach at the wall of her opponent’s body/head is blocking her way)
  2. on certain characters she’ll cancel the overhead, but the wall move will come out facing the opposite direction (like she’ll jump AWAY from the opponent instead of towards).
  3. based on 1 and 2, this technique generally doesn’t work on every character so it’s good to mess around to see just who eats it

edit AGAIN:
LoL i just checked vid-op and the cancel they’re talking about isn’t even the same as the one i’m talking about. LoL just forget everything i said previously…

^----…wtf. lol

<3 maki

how long do you think it’ll take you for you to finish the maki vid. i need new stuff to steal(err i mean “originate”).

where did you find this “air grab cancel thing” on vidop?

this is Keith…

my part of the Maki vid is already complete. all of the combos/tricks/whatever are done. i’m just waiting for my friend to finish putting it together. we both want it to look nice and everything so we’re thinking of random stuff that we can do to it to make it better.

that air-grab cancel thing is in the vidop forums under the aGroove guide. just go there and look up maki. i was afraid at first that the guide would already have mentioned most of the stuff i have in my vid, but it turns out that the guide was pretty basic in general.

hmm, the cancel you’re talking about sounds interesting too. Too busy with work at the moment, I’ll definitely screw around with that my next day off. Sorry I inadvertently made you let loose of the cat in your bag.
The cancel in vidop I think may be only during an activated cc, I can’t get it otherwise. It would be pretty cool to be able to combo into the qcf+k, rh, air grab cancel that and then go into another combo or pressure string.

are there any non-CC juggles maki can do?

are there any tricks to doing/executing c.lp, c.lp, s.lk, xx, kick super? i can’t seem to get the kick super out fast enough after they recover from the lk.

no tricks that I know of…

Just make sure you’re cancelling the s.wk into the super and not trying to link it or something. Also, make sure you’re activating the super instantly and not letting her run before the super comes out.

here’s what i do.

i look for the little white flashy ball thing to get really small(like the size of maki’s waist) then right there i piano the kicks.

usually works for me. but for some reason when i play on arcade, i miss it every crucial time. :smiley:

finally able to do s.lk xx kick super better now. the “white flashy ball” tip helps. just have to learn to piano on an xbox controller now.

Care to explain how this works?

http://justdefend.com/Maki.wmv

Buktooth combo:

7660 damage
11 hits
10 stun

-counter hit d.LK, d.LP, s.LK xx level 3 kick super

It’s a one frame link normally, but if you set up the counter hit on the other guy as he gets up, fake a throw after a cross-up j.MK, or fake that you’re going to do jab, jab, throw, but then walk up d.LK for example, the combo becomes a useful hit confirm.

So I dl this expecting some crazy Maki glitch. Then I see c.wp, c.wp, c.wk xx slide.

There isn’t really anything special with the way this combo works (unless I’m missing something in the vid). You just don’t see people doing it because it’s easy to mistime, and has HORRIBLE frame disadvantage blocked.

It’s not easy, but it’s not too hard neither. The risk isn’t worth it at all though (unless you can land it 90% or better).

The reason I ask is because its off of a short. I didn’t think her cr short had enough frame advantage to combo a slide off of. What does cr short give, +6 on hit? If thats the case, maybe a slide could work for anti-airs (if it comes out that quickly), like what Mummy-B was saying a while back.

http://www.finestko.com/features/characters/maki/ says c.lk is +4, 3/4/9. run slide when you press the mk 12/9/28

huh?
so it’s a cancel that’s equilvalent to a 4(give or take one) frame link?

does s/c.mp xx qcf+k, hk on a waking opponents work offline as well/close as it does on xbox live?

No. But I think it might be acceptable against larger characters that can get hit by it ducking as if it were a crossup.