Major injuries you had as a kid

What was the worst injury you ever had as a kid?

When I was a kid, I touched the hot part of a gas heater and got 3rd degree burns.

Meh. I wouldn’t call that a “Major Injury”. Damn near every kid ever, has made the mistake of touching something hot and it burned the crap out of them.

One time my family had a go-kart they were riding, and some of those older style Go-karts, have a decent portion of the friggin’ engine outright exposed in the back. I went to get on and was grabbing part of the back to help pull myself up and…burned like hell. Spent a solid 2-3 days straight with my fingers in ice water, till the burn finally went away.

Then the healing process from that point onward, as the dead skin swelled up and peeled off, etc. Uhhh…

I didn’t go to a doctor or anything. Family was like, “Man up and put some ice on it”.

I was forced to attend Judo classes once upon a time. The circumstances of which are something I would rather not discuss. Nobody has anything to fear from me in a fight though though. I hated most of the classes and my memory is not the greatest, so I never learned much from it. The instructions went right straight in one ear and out the other for the most part. I also quit once they started teaching the potentially lethal choke-holds.

Well, Judo practice involves plenty of throwing and being thrown around. Normally that is not too injurious since we used safety mats for training, and the first thing we were taught is how to fall and we typically did falling practice. Imagine rolling around as shown in this picture consecutively for the whole length of a gym two or three times at the start of practice two or three times a week, and you should get the basic idea.

However, one time I was thrown and another kid was thrown on top of me. The injury was thankfully nothing too serious, but I was in terrible pain for about three days, until I met with an older friend of mine who happened to be a chiropractor. He had me cross my arms, he reached beneath them, lifted me up, cracked my back and I felt all better.

You might think that this is rather unusual for me to remember after all of this time, but I attended those classes for quite a long time and more importantly being in pain for three days and the circumstances surrounding it is not something somebody easily forgets. Also, despite spending all of that time learning how to fall, and specifically being told by my instructors that I should never on my outstretched hand, I slipped and fell on a vacuum cleaner nozzle left out on a hardwood floor, and well, instead of falling like I should have done to have the breadth of my body absorb the bulk of the impact, I outstretched my left arm and landed on that. That really did a number on my elbow which served as a painful reminder in retrospect, and despite that happening about a year or so ago, the injury still has not fully healed, although it is mostly better now and keeps on improving, or at least so I think anyway.

I once got his by a Chevy F-150 truck and had cracked ribs