Magneto Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ Thread)

What’s a good way to deal with Wesker? My friend is able to dash under me during dash back Mag blast when I try to pressure him and do dash unders on my landing.

min height db plink magblast is almost impossible to plink under. I was trying to get under Mixup’s Mags with X23 and was having trouble. That said, your spacing is a bit off if he’s at ranges where he can dash under you. Either use an assist to create space so that you’re putting the blasts a dash or 2 in front of him. You can always bait the mag blast and j. ub > adf j.MM or addf j.L when he dashes forwards.

In genera, I just stay more grounded and poke with assists more and just use mags to cover your assist while pushing to the corner. I think too many people get carried away with his sj height plink nonsense and forget that he’s a really well-rounded character pretty much anywhere on the screen. If you’re using it to get out of a corner and goof a plink, don’t be afraid to use a safe DHC to get grounded. Outside of that, just be less predictable with your movement and be sure to have some down/db/df dashes during your plink-strings so you’re not at full SJ height.

If you just love being at SJ height make sure you’re using your assists to let you get back on the ground safely.

When I first started playing Mags point I spent way too much time in the air against my sparring partner’s X23 and every single time I would try to land I would have to guess on whether or not he was going to dash under at the last second, so I started trying to focus my game more around tridash pressure and started using that as a crutch so he would start beating them out with c.Ms and s.Ss. I totally get your pain here and unfortunately there’s not an easy fix for the situation. Try to use the conditioning you have now to force bad whiffs or have him put himself into bad situations. After a little while it will balance out since once he knows that you know how to counter the counters and you’ll get those options back. You have to give him something to respect first, though.

My only objection is wesker’s gunshot being so damn fast I hate being grounded and dealing with it.

Yeah, but his ground movement can beat or go even with Mags in the air so you’re gonna deal with him in either case once you have to land (and in a worse situation IMO since Mags doesn’t have great buttons to cover people directly below/dashing under him.)

His gunshot was always one of those things that I try to find what ranges my opponent is willing to throw it out and I try my best to be right above that horizontal hitbox as much as possible in those ranges.

What’re your assists? IIRC you’re using something like Mag/Zero/Dante maybe? Cause Zero’s CC wrecks blockstrings like Weskers I imagine.

I get a lot of mileage out of Shopping Cart vs Wesker because some of them start dashing like lunatics once you fly. Other than that, I try to stay above his horizontal assist and come down in a way that keeps me safe…usually avoiding flight in the process. It’s one of those matches where I end up doing less flight and more normal jump height or under sj height add/addb normals to try to catch him moving towards me. Once you connect one of those you can dash up s.L + Jam Session or adf.Blast or something to force him to block, but he’s definitely slippery. If you watch Rayray play Unknown, Ray seems to spend an unusual amount of time trijumping from min height (min height for the different normals that is) while calling assists, and it seems to do pretty well for me putting up a wall against Wesker’s approach. Mix in add and addb Blasts as spacing dictates.

If I were gonna fly with just Jam Session, I’d prob call the assist while move forward a few times, and then move back to my orginal position/unfly to try to have JS catch him dashing or lock him down so I can get in better. If he does an sj gunshot to try to make me block on the ground, there’s Jam Session + Attraction. Works pretty well there in my experience.

If you have some space though you can definitely adb.Blast there. You just have to respect how quickly he gets in, so do it a little farther away than usual.

Also winning the 99 seconds is pretty doable there. If your gambit fails back off to full screen and try to stuff his assist while JS keeps you safe.

May or may not be good advice, but I don’t think I’ve ever really played a good Wesker. A lot of his stuff gets blown up, but with high level movement and good assist calling I could see that being tricky to stay away from.

The Mag/Zero/Dante team is on hold. Right now I’m playing Zero/Mag/Sent so I can learn standard mag stuff with Drones.

When Zero dies and I’m down to Mag/sent I don’t have an assist like Cart or Jam that I can just call. I have to cover the screen a bit if I want drones to get out.

He’s using Doom Rocks and Vergil Rapid Slash. When I use sj.add/addb normals I do catch him every now and again. Usually he is moving in behind Rocks or calling Rapid Slash + gun shot. The effect is if I don’t snipe the assist call ( which he is covering with various jump guns) I can’t use normals or I get hit by rocks.

This is a very interesting approach. I will have to watch a match vid to digest. On paper it sounds very vulnerable to gunshot.

Good advice.
Thinking now I’m wondering if the right approach might be to aggressively get Drones out. Stay on the ground and stay in front of sent to take block hits of gunshot. Let drones combo break ground throw if he sets it up. Drones out will easily control the ground and then I can setup for blasts.
That common theme of this seems to be Get Less Fancy, Call Assists.

If we’re talking about options from different assists, playing Mags with an invincible alpha counter is hilarious. People get so worked up about trying to catch him that they tend to overcommit super heavily once they finally get to pressure him. Even more fun with X23 when you get to alpha counter, XF the point down, and dirt nap the next character (with an option to TAC into Magneto after either the alpha counter or dirt nap kill all three.)

Yeah that was poorly worded on my part. Shouldn’t have said “min” height…I just meant, high enough to stay above grounded gunshot, but low enough to easily get out say a j.H. Rayray seems to do more low-ish trijumping than a lot of Magneto’s in general though, so I’m not sure that’s about that matchup specifically. Meaning on average he spends a lot less time in flight than Magneto.

Mag/Drones…wish I could help you there, but remember that if the Wesker does Gunshot + Rocks into teleport to approach, blocking gunshot and CC’ing into Sentinel xx Hard Drive is a free happy birthday (if you see that the timings line up obviously).

Otherwise sounds like Merkyl’s about right. Focus on protecting Drones to get them out there and re-open Magneto’s normal approach options.

pretty much everything important has been said

far upper corner is your safe zone, Wesker/rocks/vergil can’t hit you there except with super, you can run to it if you’re trying to regroup/reassess and need a moment, add/addf S, tempest DHC, or juke plink to lose him if he tries to dash in and catch your landing

you can guard cancel shockwave if he does gunshot + assist but it’s pretty hard to react with it if he’s not using beam assist because gunshot hitstun is low

sj gun is easier to react to because the sj is a tell, there’s nothing else he can do from sj, if he does sj gunshot + rapid slash you might be able to react in time to guard cancel into HSF DHC and catch vergil, idk tho I have never done it against vergil assist, idk if you can get a good punish but iirc you were working on safe assist punish combos with sent?

So I’m in the process of putting together a frame-perfect programmable controller interface. (Waiting on a few components to come in.)

To that end, what are some things that have fallen under the ‘man, I wish I had a programmable controller to be able to test this fully.’?

Plink dash fly OS not working like expected.
blockstun cancel air dash/grab OS timing/viability.

What else?

Program 378961 M+H~L and see how fast you can spam it for me? Just wanna see what max speed looks like cause so far I’ve been physical incapable of maxing it out. Probably pretty close, but I wanna know what I’m shooting for.

Slight delay between 37 and 8 so the Blast has room to come out.

HGrav xx Tempest guard break setups with Spidey/Frank/She-hulk behind him. you’ll probably need frame-perfect P1 input to set up the actual guard break, record it in game, then switch the programmable controller to P2 side to check for frame-by-frame airdash/pushblock escapes

the dash xx S xx blast thing that the board was talking about a while back, idk tho is that what you mean by plink dash fly OS?