M.O.D.O.K hypers & durability & bnb intro

Hey guys,

I’m a new face on SRK but I’ve lurked for a few months now. I’ve been playing M.O.D.O.K now for about 3-4 months but in Vanilla I used him as a keep away which I’m ashamed to mention as now I know the possibilities science withhold. I’ve searched for answers relevant to Balloon Bomb durability, go-to hyper & the intro for the most notable jump canceling mediums/ heavys.

Balloon Bomb
They normally last on field for about give or take 2-3 seconds, and I’ve seen one lost YT video as a pals house explaining that BB actually is invincible. It doesn’t break nor bend after being hit by specials until the allotted time is over… But now I think I’m confusing it with the 423S variation of the BB. What I wanted to know is if it can withstand say a full set of Drones (not the hyper, just all the drones) or say even Amatarasus Cold Flare. If what I think is correct it should be able to shift any opponent doing a physical lunging hyper to cancel + popup punish.

What I’m looking for really is a confirmation or a video if possible, at the moment I honestly have no way to even play other than mentally for the next few hours lol.

234S Psionic Blast
What is its use? I could not find any mention of this is any thread other than the topic talking of the transiition from vanilla to ultimate. Does it hold any invincibility or hyper armor or anything out of what’s visually shown on screen?

As for hypers
I see a lot of combo videos, where cubes aren’t gathered, the player uses Battering Ram. I wanted to know as to how many cubes should be stored until you attempt to properly outdamage HBR… Or is it combo specific, cause I’ve realized if you get a bb + l pblast + hpblast they ride the top ridge of the blast which allows the further pickup into another hyper.

As for killer illumination, I’m having a lot of problems catching players with this. I honestly cannot lie. What are some ways I can get close enough for it? My normal grabbing and tech game is superior its just that one darn move,

So far all I can do to preform that missions mode combo is put a barrier up, stay near it and pull them through lol.

BNB startup
I have these days where I run perfect strings of 2H 86dash M… I can get about 3 hits low, 2 high and jump into a premature M.O.D.O.K BNB… I’m having a lot of trouble with the beginning though. I get so antsy. Online I find myself just running around and coming in for grabs into my premature BNB.

Is there a way I can get better with the beginning string? Can someone so a video or a picture of something how my hands are supposed to rotate during the act?(pause lol) I just seem so catch the heavy the either dash upwards or dash pause m and flunk the whole shabang. :confused:

Anyways, thanks guys!

Carlly.

Lol don’t be ashamed of playing a keepaway style with Dok. I think most would agree that Dok generally wants to zone for the most part in neutral.

Balloon bomb on point has some number of medium durability points when Dok is on point. So, it can trade with beams and most other projectiles. Balloon bomb as an assist acts like it’s invincible because it doesn’t interact with other projectiles at all. Projectile invincible moves (like charging star) can still clear it off the screen though.

The Psionic High Blaster (S blaster) is a complete waste of a move. It’s easily Dok’s worst move since it has pretty much no application to anything whatsoever.

HPB starts doing more damage than HBR at 4 cubes. Killer Illumination can be jumped out of by the opponent after the hyper flash. This means Killer Illumination is only good for it’s invincibility and punishing whiffed grounded moves (mostly random hypers).

My only advice for getting better with those hitconfirms/blockstrings is to practice. I’m afraid that there isn’t much more I can do than that lol (I play on pad).

If you have any more questions, ask away! I also have an extensive written tutorial that contained pretty much all my answers here. It’s a lot of stuff (20 pages or so in a Word document), but I’d like to think it’s at least worth scanning through.

I have a few questions going through 1-5, I can admit to not being able to preform some into strings so I’m let me go through the process of going from Basics to Adv all over again.

What is scale damage?

Is there a set duration on the green puddle, can it shove off an assist say Dante’s jam secession?

Can any non-hyper shatter the barrier? For example Chun-Li’s ex spinning bird, Firebrands charged demon missile: swoop, or say a barrier made by another ontop of yours cancel yours out?

You mentioned during combos s to j.L will combo all hits I wanted to know is that why most videos I’ve seen j.L once landed s.M is used because they both do all hits?

With 9IC will HPB’s 400k be consistent even after combo or does damage ratio shift down?

Scaled damage occurs when the minimum possible damage any move you do is reached. MODOK has a minimum damage scaling of 20% for his normals and specials. For example, cr.M has a base damage value of 60,000. Fully scaled, cr.M does 12,000 (20% of 60,000).

cr.M lasts for exactly 1 second. If an assist is called on top of it, the assist will get hit.

The barriers can only be taken out by hypers or after its time limit.

I’m not quite sure what you are asking here, but j.L and st.M are multi-hit attacks that will always have all hits hit. I think the minimum hitstun of any attack is 3 frames (it might be 4). The kicks of j.L and the bullets of st.M have the hits come out one after the other in less than 3 frames (or whatever the minimum hitstun value is). This is why j.L can be very useful for combo extension even though it is not immune to hitstun deterioration.

HPB at max power (9 cubes) will always do a minimum of 400,000. Fully scaled, each hit of HPB does 4,000. HPB at max power does 100 hits, so you’ll get 400,000.

I read the guide over by basics for MvC somewhere around here mentioning damage scaling cause I wont lie, you confused the hell out of me lol. I saw what it said about lv. 3’s and regular hypers so I’m guessing you will always have the same formula of 9cubes to 100 hits + enough knockdown to continue a frenzy however you wouldn’t do the full 400k given you lead off with a full otg loop… or did I do it wrong?

Also for the 623S PB… I think I may have realized something interesting about it… well for me atleast. While VS a grounded player it provides enough stun to rush from about midscreen to attack. Actually going more in depth Modoks range is so nasty you can actually from mid hit 2H and begin bnb but I’m unsure as to how many hits can be followed up.

I’m still analyzing man, lol.

You will get at least 400k off a 9 cube HPB. That’s the absolute minimum you can get. That is when damage is fully scaled… it will no longer decrease.

Yes, S blaster can work like that, but the conditions surrounding any practical use of it is pretty much nonexistent. S blaster is slow and requires your opponent to be standing, not blocking, AND not that far from you so that you can actually use it’s stagger property, since you can’t use it in combos unless you have Spencer’s assist, and even then, you should save it for jamming bombs or big barriers. It does just a tad more damage than H blaster, but it really, really isn’t worth it.

: /

And here I thought I was onto something. Back into the combolotory I go. By any chance do you have a ps3 or a few matches or random recordings of yourself playing around? The guide was informative and I’m just comfortable with your movement, no homo lol.

Thanks, LTP.

I don’t have a ps3, but there are some random matches of me playing floating around somewhere, though most of them are either online or using a ps3 pad (which basically means I don’t get to play). I do have random stuff on my YouTube channel including combos, setups, etc, but there is barely any actual gameplay.

Can you please post your youtube name? I don’t have the privilege of following up through your videos posted in the link since I’m using an Ipad and well I don’t know how to open it up in browser

Haha no problem. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/user/MythicVerbosity

Nothing can really shatter the hitbox of the barrier except supers. There only special moves that phase through the barrier, or nullify. Here are a few imporant moves to watch out for.

Hulk/Storm Whirlwind/gamma wave - They don’t break through the barrier. They can hit MODOK inside the shield if you are not too careful. keep in mind those, MODOK can shoot psionic blaster, and stop that from happen. MODOK can pretty much prevent Hulk from using gamma wave.

Spencer- Spencer has a weird and scary ass ability to null hit-boxes. He can take away the hitbox from the barrier, or even Haggar’s lariat with Spencer’s yank special. Spencer can hit you past the barrier if he tries to hit you after nullifying the hitbox. Keep in mind that MODOK’s can punish Spencer for doing that in close range.

Vergil-Rapid Slash, he can actually move past the barrier to hit MODOK. Vergil can’t ACTUALLY destroy it without spiral swords… Don’t worry those, MODOK can throw the rapid slash, use slime, cubes, bombs, beams to keep Vergil out. Similar things can happen with Wolverine/ or any character that has a cross-up move. So be careful against them.

Command Grabs- Provided they have enough range , they can phase through MODOK’s shield. Be warying of put a shield against Skrull.

Still, you’d be surprised how many people have no clue to deal with MODOK’s barrier.

First off I used to point Skrull, now I run modok point and Skrull vary lol… That command M causes rage across the land lol.

I use it unwisely, I need some more practice. I’m almost getting this intro loop for his bnb down its just I think I have some side effects wi coordination from working late and being up during the day with my super solders lol.

So wait, I can stand in the shield and be invulnerable?

Edit: totally can stand in the barrier lol.

You should do that a lot.

You be surprised how many Doom’s/Vergils don’t realizes that MODOK/and other characters using MODOK’s shield assist is immune to helm breakers/foot dives.

Especially when Doom/Vergil, they will try to press buttons aganist the shield, but the shield will protect MODOK. You get a 100% safe punish.

Wow, that’s tactic. So will they slide down, next to the shield or bounce off?

The shield doesn’t push people back, it just protects you from harm.