Loving Iron Fist...having trouble...

Just to let u guys know Strider assist is good for those lame jump+magic characters (doom, morrigan, chris, etc) but still needs a LOCK down assist as everyone is saying, Frank can work well, Chun li, my personal Dorm (which im thinking of switching).

But i think We should set up our team that if we can’t get in at all we should have a ZONE character, so if we go against a Morrigan we Block wavedash and rush punch super, if it hits good job if it doesn’t DHC to zone Character. My team is IF/TASK/DORM and they work VERY well, Task up arrows Dorm dark hole and Task arrows dont reach full screen but it does when i wall jump and hide him. I Wavedash and wall jump nothing else, when i get in st.:m:,st.:h:+assist most of the time they push block my st.:h: so i kara cancel, by that time they are blocking Dorm dark hole then i go from there…

The things I learned about Iron Fist is that he NEEDS a lockdown assist (Because that really can’t be stressed enough) and that you gotta learn to play him a bit like Fei Long in AE: Patiently. You COULD just rushdown, but that’d be a bit risky. Since he has really good range on standing :h: (Like almost stupid range), I tend to try to hang around midrange and fuck my opponent up for whiffing something. At least that’s what I’ve learned.

Generally, if you hit your opponent once, they’re practically dead because as someone has said before on a stream, Iron Fist hits like a grown ass man, so rushdown isn’t really the main thing.

This is just in my personal experience. Dunno if everyone agrees. I personally have a more rushdown-oriented team for the most part (IF/Nova/Frank), but Nova’s pretty versatile, so I think it evens out.

I’ve been running Fist with Skrull (tenderizer) and Hawkeye (whatever the air assist is) for a few days now. I think it works fairly well actually. Skrull’s tenderizer is a really nice lockdown assist that, if it hits, can lead you to do a basic standing :l: which causes them to air tech at the end of the tenderizer animation. Then you can go for an air throw, or some other mix up of your choosing. =O

I’m really interested in why you would think that a lockdown assist was absolutely essential for IF. It’s not that he has a left/right or high/low mixup (qcb M slow as hell) so I wonder how he would benefit from let’s say Cold Star. Of course, every character gets better when he has a lockdown assist backing him up, I just don’t see the outstanding synergy. Well, I guess I just have a different playstyle. I play IF more as a “punish” character and my assists help me opening up the opponent when he thinks he’s safe: in the air (Strider Vajra) and out of sH range (practically most arrow/beam assists). But chances are I’m overlooking something :slight_smile:

I’ve found this is the best way to make characters like IF/Hulk useful in UMvC. Without it you just have too many bad matchups.

And lockdown helps, but is not a requirement. Hell Wong has not used a lockdown assist with IF at least half the time (and the other half I’ve just seen him use Frank which is more to corner the opponent and punish with priority rather than lock him down for IF). I know people are going to say “He can make anyone work” but the point still stands that he proves that when played properly you don’t need a lockdown with him.

Honestly, I like it as a use to prevent them from running the hell away if I haven’t scored a kill off a basic hit. With a basic combo they should be in the corner when I’m done with 'em. After the combo I can try to lock them down with that and then try for a grab afterward or a high/low guessing game. Shrug I’m not really the best theorist/strategist with this game yet, but it seems helpful for me thusfar.

The best advice I can give you is to JUMP A LOT and wavedash. Now when I say jump, I don’t mean super jump. I mean dash-jump. Get used to air-grabbing. This is his only defence against people who spend most of their time in the air. NEVER use :l:!!! Only use it when you WANT to get pushed block, meaning rush in (with assist covering you obviously because you have 0 range) and EXPECT to get pushed block then quickly dash-:m:. He has an instant overhead on medium characters like Wesker but only when they’re standing (j:h:). Take advantage of this and if the j.:h: connects you can cancel on the way down with S and start a combo.

Choose your assist wisely! Characters like hawkeye are great assists for covering your rushdown. Always rush, never hold back. If you try to stall your opponent will get in the offensive and IF doesn’t have anything to defend himself. look out for assists and punish them. If you can’t beat their point character (Ammy, Zero, Spiderman, etc) and they keep spamming assists to trap you, save two meters and unleash them on their assist. If you can’t kill their point atleast kill another character then switch out.

LEARN YOUR MATCHUPS. It’s literally impossible to win against Ammy or Zero 1v1. Your only hope against them are your supers so save meters. You can catch Zero with rising dragon when he’s trying to jump in on you with a mixup and FoF ammy when she spams C.

I may be a beginner, but I heavily suggest a durable and reliable projectile assist to aid in your approach. I use iron man’s beam assist.

I’d like to know though, as long as I’m here, how do you fight chun li? Iron Fist doesn’t have a high priority dive kick and he sucks high up in the air. The lighting legs, the dreaded lightning legs, get me every time. And I don’t think iron fist can beat he lightning leg hyper if he supers first.

try using qcb+:h:

Her legs super will beat fists of fury simply because hoyokusen has more invuln frames. Her lightning legs super is unsafe on block though, so just block and she’s forced to either DHC out or die (850k health = 1 combo for iron fist).

As for regular lightning legs, I never understood why people hated them so much. Can you give me a situation where they’re causing you trouble? I honestly rarely use them outside of combos.
My guess is that lightning legs are simply out-prioritizing something that you’re sticking out. Think of the legs like a spiked wall. Do not punch the spiked wall.

Last thing is that Chun is actually somewhat similar to Iron Fist. She has massive trouble getting in. use that against her. If you catch her being to aggressive to land that hit, she dies. If she catches you, you have enough health to live. Play it smart and it (can be) in your favor.

I’m having trouble Iron Fist vs Chun Li. Her regular lighting legs are the problem, because IF has no projectiles. With say taskmaster or even M.O.D.O.K I can keep away. IF doesn’t have the option to keep away from the legs. He has to get in to do damage. I mean, I can’t do a 850k combo yet, only about 620k with one back, but I’m working on IF.

Also any tips against Vergil’s helm breaker? (I don’t know what button the move is, I haven’t used him yet, only people in the new cast I’ve used is Ghost Rider and then Iron Fist). I know its unsafe on block but he always jumps before I catch him when he is at the end of the blade. If I dash usually I get slammed and OTGed into maximum vergil.

Thanks for your help.

That’s a good anti air? I think I’ll try it. Thanks.

Also to the general thread, something that’s been helping me actually be able to use these combos and techniques in general for those having trouble taking their combos online with IF and even the rest of the cast, I advice fighting CPUs to get into the habit of using certain habits, moves and combos you forget to use, after you find yourself to be consistent with them in the lab you turn on the bots and test your consistency.

I also recommend walking around with the blue chi power up. So if you eat a combo or more likely a projectile, it won’t be as damaging.

620k is pretty low for Iron Fist, you can probably do more if you just do a starter into crumple, power up, S, air magical series, OTG, rekka, fists of fury and spirit of the dragon

That’s the least. The most is 907,000 with his level 3. Without it 833k. But I’m having trouble linking Spirit of the dragon into fists of fury. I always get a DHC or my opponent has already the ground.

Current combo goes as follows.

M and or H, quick kick, quick kick, dragon’s tail, 1 inch punch(move that crumples) , red chi, S, M, M, H, S, OTG kick, dragon claw, 1 inch punch, fists of fury. After that I either DHC into maximum spider, do a 1 inch punch and link another fists of fury.

actually the most is 956k using 2 meters no assist.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that was the most I had gotten. Solo, I’m sure someone has reached 1 million.

try inputting the DP motion as FoF is finishing and wait until the hyper background rips, then input the two attack buttons. You can also just input the hyper after the background rips. that’s what I use to time it

I forgot all about that. Thanks. I’ll try it.

Ya I just discovered Iron Fist last night, and being that I used to be a She-Hulk user in Vanilla, I feel right at home with getting in lol

Yeah, iron fist isn’t way too hard to get in with, if you know how to wavedash and time your jumps to escape projectiles. Then again I got iron man uni beam and spiderman weball backing me up.

Yeah, after playing him for a while actually what gives me more trouble are rushdown characters like Wolverine, get in isn’t all that hard if you have at least a decent assist to back you up. Even if you don’t have one, if it’s not Magneto or someone with beams that fast you can get in being patient. If Dormammu for example uses a single wrong purification, you can wavedash in and kill him for free.