Let's fight...with music?

So in the world of fighting games, we’ve seen monsters, martial arts, robots, vampires, loli girls and just about every other kind of character and warrior know to man. And they all fight with their assorted kicks, punches, grapples, bites, beams, etc…

But what about a fighting game where the characters fight through the power of music?

No…this is not like a fighting game using a Guitar Hero Controller. More like a fighting game that aesthetically portrays “musical warfare”. Perhaps each character’s combos are based off songs and the effects could be wild, crazy and colorful…

This isn’t something I pulled out of thin air. It’s an offshoot of an idea I’ve been working on for a long time, called The Music Masters. In a nutshell, it’s a story about X-Men-esque type people who can channel songs into fantastic and outlandish superpowers. And not just “Oh I get super strength from Eye of the Tiger”. More like “Oh I’m going to summon a giant six-armed YMCA robot from YMCA”. I’ve been working on this concept for ages, but I couldn’t help but wonder if it could be applied to a fighting game of some sort. Coupled with the visuals and sound effects, I imagine it might turn out pretty cool.

Opinions, anyone?