Ledge Grabbing Limited? Why?

I read the rules for smash tournaments and most of it didn’t surprise me, number of stock, time limit, pause off and yada yada but then i saw Ledge Grabbing limited to 50. I sat back for a sec and was like o.O really?

So if anyone knows i dont feel like making a smashboard account just for this one question since its the only question about smash bros stuff ill ever have.

So why is there a limit on ledge grabbing?
Does defensive ledge grabbing count? (as in i’m off the stage trying to return)
How is this enforced? Is there a judge standing by when smash tournys that is counting or are the players accounting for themselves?

I never heard of this, but it sounds silly, and impossible to enforce. Who’s going to sit there and count how many times players grab a ledge? Unless there’s an option to limit the number of ledge grabs you can pull off (I don’t own Brawl anymore, so I wouldn’t know offhand.)

EDIT:

I don’t know the legitimacy of this thread, but it looks like the rules for ledge grabbing were put in place to stop MetaKnight from doing that stupid “escape under the stage and stall” tactic.
I’m so glad he’s gone, everyone who mained him is a brat. Melee is for champions, Brawl is for children.

The rule was mostly implemented as a surgical way to nerf metaknight. Now that metaknight is gone it should go away. The reason both were kept for so long was because of the idea that constantly regrabbing the ledge was a broken strategy and led to uncompetitive gameplay. The truth of the matter is that it was only broken for metaknight and for other characters it is a legitimate and beatable strategy. It may stick around, due to a majority simply finding it “lame.”

Also the rule is easy to enforce because the game itself keeps track of ledge grabs. All you have to do is look at the results screen to see if your opponent broke the limit or not. LGL rule came about because the other rules for preventing “broken” ledge camping were arbitary and non-enforeable.

Thanks for the replies i didnt know
A) Meta Knight had such a loop no one i play with ever use Metaknight
B) That there was a counter for how many times you grabbed the ledge after they didnt transfer bonus mode from Melee to Brawl all those extra stats i just skip it

The community whines without a LGL, but no character truly needs a 50 LGL anyways so I see it as a good placeholder for those who stall the ledge excessively.

Why it happened (for the URC at least) was because some DK main had 185 ledge grabs against an Olimar player for 5th place at a big tourney and the Olimar player just did it wrong with stopping DK from planking. Before that it was just for MK

In the same tourney though, that DK tried to do it against ADHD to move on past 5th but ADHD pretty much adapted to it after game 1 and won. :\

Because of pit as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0r0DkNiqxc

That is the video of the DK planking. It is certainly beatable though. Planking would allow DK to move up in the tier list as the strategy would give him a viable way to deal with Falco and Olimar.

I would say that Game and Watch has a pretty good planking strategy, invincible up b and an up air that push people away allows him to stay pretty safe. Pit has a nice up air, can fly under the stage, or shoot arrows but even pit’s planking doesn’t come close to metaknight.

The rule may stay mostly through community perception but it really isn’t a legitimate rule and the game should progress with it gone.

This shit is why I’m glad I don’t play Smash.

It would be about the only way for him to deal with Olimar.

The ledge drop > up-B Olimar can just F-smash him out of. The drop, DJ, up-B has to be perfect otherwise it’s not invincible at the ledge and can be F-smashed.

Olimar can footstool or possibly edgehog him, but it’s risky since Oli’s recovery is so shitty.

Why the hell is Brawl played competitively to begin with? Go back to Melee so I can whip out my GC controller again.