Learning Dante.

What it feels like.

I don’t know if I should try. I mean, I’ve always been a fan of Dante, and he would compliment my favorites like Wolvie/Hulk/Doom pretty well. I like his teleport and his blade range is godlike. I’ve never been used to long, high-strung, complicated combos, but at the same time, I don’t know if I’m going to get any better at this game if I don’t try someone else.

What should I start with? The very combos some people pump into this game are intimidating.

Maybe you just suck at fighting games.

Start with L,M,H, Forward H,Bold cancel (press any of [LMH]+S)
Dante will bold jump after the Forward H.
keep doing that until ur used to it… do it around like 20 times
Attempt to input the bold cancel as early as possible, at the first few frames of Forward H, this will allow u more time for input of volcano.

If you are comfortable with that do:
L,M,H,ForwardH,Bold cancel,Volcano
If u input the Volcano fast enough it will come out before dante bold jumps.

Volcano will launch ur enemy abit and u can jump up and do
M,H, qcfL, S, M, M, H, qcfH, Gun Super.

So in full its:
L,M,H, Forward H, Bold Cancel Volcano, j.M, j.H, j.qcfL, S, j.M, j.M, j.H, j.qcfH, Super.

Quite easy to do…
Damage is not bad either. Just doesnt build alot of meter.

having sucha hard time connecting hold cancel and volcano :'c

Try to do this:

Just start with Forward H (skip out the lmh) and press ATK+S as soon as you pressed Forward H
Dante will bold jump after Forward H hits.

Now do the same thing, but input something easier than Volcano (eg. qcbL for Reverb Shock)

Once u get used to it try volcano…

I recently tried to pick Dante back up as well, because I had played him back in the original. I had trouble learning how to bold cancel and combo after it but I found a few videos that helped me out A TON.

I used this video to help me learn the basics of comboing using the bold cancel.

If you use a D-pad on your Xbox / Ps3 controller, this Video helped me land the Bold Cancel / Volcano 95% of the time.

To be honest if you are just starting out with Dante, learn all his special moves first for now…
And for basic combo just do:
cr.L, cr.M, cr.H, S, j.L, j.M, j.H, QCF+L, S, j.M, j.M, j.H, QCF+H, Million Dollar Gun super.
This works everywhere as long as you super jump forward and time it correctly…
Its easy to do and hurts abit and you can DHC it almost into any other super…

And to get in with Dante just call assist, jump, QCB+L, Dash, j.M.

i have an issue with landing clean hits. I feel like he has really slow start ups for his attacks. I am coming from wolverine and i know his moves are real fast. is it just a case of finding out an effective range for him? or should i just pick my times to attack better?

I tend to have a difficult time landing hits but I found it easier to either get a HK and box jump mixups or space out a stinger BC port assist call. Then there is the ANCHOR Dante who all he needs is a throw and he can convert into death so I guess it just depends on who you run and the position he is in. Main thing I suppose is getting the oppenent to not move or press buttons so you can force your will on them. I think its self explanatory at that point why the other options work.