Koryuken invincibility frames

Does anyone know if any of the KRK versions have invincibility frames on startup?

they all do, EX has the most

LP only has 2 frames, IIRC. That means they don’t reach the active frames, so it’s liable to get stuffed.

thanks

that 4 frame startup, I always lose to safe jumps. Does it work or is it just 3f DPs that work? Is it my timing and not the move?

Safe jumps are possible because after using an aerial attack, characters sport two frames of landing lag where they can’t block. The trick to safe jumps is to have your j.HK or whatever out on the first frame of the opponent’s wakeup, and land on the following frame. This means the j.HK lands meaty, but you’ll touch down to the ground should the opponent perform an invincible reversal (Causing you to land and block).

Here’s a practical look at a 3-frame safejump attempt and 4-frame safejump attempt.

Traditional Safejump versus 3-frame DP

Frame 1:
Opponent’s first wakeup frame. Last frame before you land with j.HK/Whatever. Opponent activates Reversal Shoryuken here. j.HK whiffs.

Frame 2:
You land. Shoryuken enters second frame. You’re not blocking here because you haven’t been on the ground for two frames.

Frame 3:
Shoryuken enters first Active frame. You’re still not blocking. You get hit.

~

Safejump versus 4-frame DP

Frame 1:
Opponent’s first wakeup frame. Last frame before you land with j.HK/Whatever. Opponent activates Reversal Koryuken here. j.HK whiffs.

Frame 2:
You land. Koryuken enters second frame. You’re not blocking here because you haven’t been on the ground for two frames.

Frame 3:
Koryuken enters third frame. You’re still not blocking.

Frame 4:
You enter first frame where you can block. This coincides with Koryuken’s first Active Frame. You block the Koryuken.

~

See the difference there? Koryuken may only have a single frame’s lenience to be safejumped, but for players that are on the ball with their timing, it’s enough.

Some characters, like Rufus, Balrog or Viper, who have super-slow invincible reversals, are really easy to safejump in comparison to characters like Dan.

It should be noted that when Ryu lands a sweep, he gets free safejump timing just by holding :uf: upon Sweep recovery. It’s one of the things that makes Ryu easy to play at a high level.

Meanwhile Hakan’s is so hard it requires timing with a whiffed st. MP…

I get it. Thanks for the insight. This little frame completely nerfs Dan compared to other shotos. Interesting

it’s not that thing that nerfs Dan I think… Seth / Cammy / Fei have all 5f invincible reversals…

That’s only a Ryu thing by sheer coincidence, and it’s doesn’t work on all characters’ 4-frame reversals.