Korean arcade parts discussion

Introduction Post

I admit I haven’t have experience with Korean arcade parts, but I start a loose guide listing of what I do know and let people discus about Korean parts and maybe we can build up a half descent database.
I will reference the old [THE ULTIMATE KOREAN ARCADE PART FAQ!!](The Ultimate Korean Arcade Part FAQ! to flesh thing thread out.
What was noticed in the Tech Talk community is that many of the old Korean arcade part threads are dead and many threads have broken images, broken links, out of date and inactive.

Special thanks to (but not limited to) the following forum members (in no particular order) who ether helped me directly or those who contributed to older threads (even indirectly) which I tried to use to build this one.
d3v, slaycruz, armi0024, Upas, laugh, Takahashi, deadfrog, kowal, Moonchilde, hibachifinal, kkolding, Fearless, el greco,

Korean arcade parts basics Work in progress

With every particular style of arcade parts, there is certain design elements or conversions that follow each style.
As we already know the words of difference between American/European and Japanese style parts are.
Japanese parts are designed to be fitted into thin metal panels while American parts are intended for thicker wooded panels.

Korean parts tend to follow their own conventions which have similarities and differences from other styles.
With few exceptions, Korean joysticks can’t mount properly in the typical Japanese joystick mount.
As there usually a raised collar or neck that sticks above the top panel of a arcade controller.

There are three main manufacturers of Korean parts I will be dealing with
[list]
[] Crown
[
] Myoungshin Fanta
[*] Taeyung Fanta
[/list]

There might be other manufacturers that could pop up but for joysticks at least we focus on those for now.

Korean sticks usually have no springs or restrictor gates.
Unlike more typical American or Japanese style joysticks, Korean joysticks use a rubber (or similar material) grommet to center the joystick shaft or lever.
For those who remembered the old American style part manufacturer Wico also used rubber grommets.

Even then there is different harnesses for the rubber grommets, labeled soft, medium and hard.

Korean sticks used individually tabbed microswitches or leaf switches, a .187 quick disconnect wiring or a .187 quick disconnect to a 5 pin JST E adapter is often used.

Considered the lesser of the 3 big manufacturers until recently when they expanded into the home “fightstick” market (I hate that term, Fightsticks).

Crown Joysticks

Crown CWJ-303FK
First of the Korean Joysticks to be compatible with Japanese style mounting.

Crown CWL-303
very low stiffness
gersung microswitches
rotation = circle
throw = angle - 13 degree; travel - 14mm
engage = angle - 8 degree; travel - 9mm
diagonal = range 20 degree; hitting 66%
force to engage = 0.17kG

Crown CWJ-303N

used in Korean Tekken 6 Arcade machines

Crown CWL305
very low stiffness
Switches - Unknown
rotation = circle w/ square actuator
engage = angle - 7 degree; travel - 8mm
diagonal = range 45 degree; hitting 90%
force to engage = 0.175kG

There is also a version of this that uses a spring

Crown CWL306
Comes with a Ball top instead of a bat top on the lever (not removable).
Switches - Unknown
rotation = circle
throw = angle - 12 degree; travel - 12mm
engage = angle - 8 degree; travel - 8mm
diagonal = range 30 degree; hitting 80%
force to engage = 0.275kG

Crown CWL-307
Coming in both Korean mounting and Japanese mounting variations the Crown CWJ-307 is also the Official Tekken 7 Joystick.

Spoiler

http://samducksa.com/new//_template/PROJECT_DETAIL/PD_1_448.jpg

Myoungshin Fanta

Myoungshin Fanta joysticks are one of the popular Korean style joysticks out there.
Although many of their joysticks parts are interchangeable with Taeyung Fanta joysticks, they are two separate companies with different molds for their plastic parts.

Low Stiffnesss
Starion microswitches
rotation = circle
engage = angle - 9 degree; travel - 10mm
diagonal = range 25 degree; hitting 75%
force to engage = 0.22kG

Taeyung Fanta

Although many of their joysticks parts are interchangeable with Myoungshin Fanta joysticks, they are two separate companies with different molds for their plastic parts.

very stiff
Gersung microswitches
rotation = circle
engage = angle - 9 degree; travel - 10mm
diagonal = range 30 degree; hitting 80%
force to engage = 0.5kG

Full Arcade controllers

Saulabi for Powerful Game
There are several versions out there, and due to color variations its difficult to identify by appearance so I just go by model number

PS1/PS2 sticks
SPS-1000
SPS-1000 Vibration: Same as above but with force feedback
SPS-3000

PS3 Sticks
4K: PS3 Stick (works with PC)

PC Only
Online Black
Online White
SCS-2000
Premium

Most of the Saulabi sticks used cheap knock off parts and often buttons soldered to the PCB.

Note: Ssaurabi (싸울아비) is a Modern Korean compound which literally means “a father who fights”. -Wikipedia

Wooden Korean stick
Wooden case instead of plastic, various versions support various systems, PS1/PS2, PS3, PC ect…

Omni Arcade Stick -Korean Edition- http://etokki.com/Playstation3/Omni-Korean-Edition
Metal case Arcade stick developed by eTokki. Comes in Korean or Japanese parts, we focus on the Korean version.
Built with Myoungshin Fanta stick and Crown CWB203A buttons, the stick uses the PCB from the Joytron Paewang Revolution.

Makestick Pro
Joystick unknown
Metal Body, Knock off buttons
various versions support various systems

Joytron Paewang Revolution
One of the first sticks to support support both the PS3 & Xbox360 straight out of the box.
The parts are knock offs of Japanese style parts. The default button hole size fits crown buttons.
its semi-common for people mount the Sanwa JLF inside, but I seen mods that allow for a Fanta joystick.
Be prepared for a hack job, alot of cutting, filing and desoldering.
The stick is more valued for it’s PCB than everything else.
Recently the PS360+ board has taken over the role the Paewang had filled.

Joytron EXchanger
Hinged case, similar to the Razer Atorx and Mad Catz TE 2

Mad Catz

The Mad Catz Fightstick K.E. (Korean Edition) Link
Using the same shell as the SE, TvC and Brawl Stick
The KE uses a Crown CWJ-303FK as its joystick and Sanwa buttons.
The KE is the only arcade controller that been sold retail in the United Sates that ever offered Korean Parts.

Buttons

Unlike Japanese buttons that come in 30mm or 24mm or American buttons that comes in 1 1/8" (28.575mm) Many Korean buttons fit 27.5mm holes

Crown

Crown 203A
fits 27.5mm holes
snap in
The 203A will work with .110 quick disconnects

Crown 203C
fits 27.5mm holes
snap in and screw in
Have to solder to the button’s terminals

Other parts / Mod parts

Replacement Shaft

Crown 303-FK 6mm Hollow Shaft
Designed to fit 6mm threading Japanese Ball tops and Bat tops (10mm bat tops will need the bat top adapter).
The Shaft is hollow to allow for ball top lighting.

187 quick disconnect to a 5 pin JST E adapter
Used to easily wire a Joystick with .187 terminals (or tabs) to a 5 pin joystick wire harness.

I’m a bit surprised you still haven’t tried a Korean lever, though you may strongly dislike them given your stated preference for the “operation” method of play. My experience is admittedly limited to the 303-FK at this point, but they’re pretty cool in their own way. Very unique, worth trying IMO. Kind of an in between compromise between old American style parts and Japanese levers with its own flavor, quite satisfying to throw around.

Here’s a handy graphic from Crown’s website to help understand all their suffixes, at least for the new “Tekken 7” CWL-3507

For Tekken 7, I believe the official variant used is the one with the silicon rubber grommet (ST).

According to Taktak(Korean Tekken player) this variant is installed in Korean Tekken 7 cabinets

http://i.imgur.com/i0oP6zl.jpg

Crazy good stuff!

You don’t really seem to miss anything from the official manufactures, there is a completely different marked for k-sticks.
there are a few small shops that modify the joysticks. the most popular stick to mod is the Myoungshin Fanta, They call them “Myoungshin Fanta Airbag”

They change the latex rubber to a silicone rubber, and use Thailand micro switches and support the switches underneath and on top of them.

Green Arcade Lever

2011 version of Green Arcade lever

Uses a metal actuator

Normal Fanta / Fanta airbag

Quick comparison with the Crown 307 and Myoungshin fanta

The Myoungshin Fanta Airbag is the golden standard for top players in korea. Infiltration, JDCR etc. etc. uses this version.

when it comes to arcades they tend to use cheaper parts, and you never really know what you are play

Thanks Darksakul for reincarnating the old Korean part FAQ and giving us a place to discus theese often misunderstood arcade parts.

Kkolding nice pictures of the “myoungshin fanta airbag” first time I have ever seen this mod.

Anyway to buy one of these Fanta Airbags?

(also still want a Taeyoung Fanta…)

Just a quick reminder. You can use balltops with the Myoungshin Fanta and maybe with Crown too, just replace the shaft with a regular shaft from Sanwa and voila!
The shafts are the same length and diameter. I used that with a personal fightstick from a few years ago, so I’m 100% sure of this… at least with the Fanta:

Taeyoung Fanta is very much like the Crown CWJ-303N,

It’s not possible to buy them if you don’t live in Korea, they don’t ship internationally.

but send me a PM, and we might be able to figure something out.

http://istmall.co.kr/shop/goods/goods_view.php?goodsno=9992322&category= - Myoungshin fanta airbag

I tried this wasn’t really the same feel. but good tip if you want to try lollipop on a Myoungshin =)

Yeah, it not the same since the extra length of the battop helps to play a lot better. But still an option for those who are more used to play with balltops.

From 2005 TZ

Makers of the “Wooden Korean stick” and the Saulabi = http://www.stick.pe.kr