KoFXI

Im brand new at KoF and just got this game for the PS2. Would you guys consider it to be one of the better games in the series or one of the worse ones? Also, reasons for your choice would be appreciated

It’s not a tradition KOF game. It’s a 3 on 3 Tag team game similar to Marvel vs. Capcom 2/3 as you can swap characters and perform Tag team combos. Like XIII, it’s fast paced and it has a Dream Cancel, which is similar to XIII Neo Max cancel, Other than that, a lot of the subsystems are only unique to this game.

If you’re looking for something to get into KOF, I wouldn’t recommend it. better to play 98um for 02um. 02 is more close to XIII then any other KOF game.

Well Im actually not trying to get into KoF. I just wanna see if this game is any good competitive-wise and whether it is easy to learn

Oh I see.

Well, the game is far from easy to learn. Tag team comboes and high-level metagame get very technical. A basic tag combo would look something like:

close:snkc:, :f::snkb:, :snka:+:snkc:(tags in the next character), j.:snkd:, close:snkc:…

On top of that, you have the tradition KOF techniques like hyper hop, roll break, and buffering obscure super commands during combos.

The game is very competitive. It got a lot of play during it’s peak. The balance was there, though IIRC, Gato, Kula, K’ and Oswald were on the top on the tier list. There’s also a bunch of bosses and console exclusive characters. All of them are fair gain except for Magaki and Shion. It’s very popular in Mexico, as is all KOF games.

Is it hard to learn moreso because of the execution or the amount of techniques there are? Oh and what characters would you recommend for a newcomer?

i love this game’s tempo and i really really love the game’s art style. i don’t mean the character’s or stage’s art style…i mean its menu art style. everything is so bright, lit up, and the colors are all intense, vivid, and neonic…without being a pain on the eyes. actually quite pleasing.
and its sound track. but then again i like every kof soundtrack.

-thank you!

KOFXI is simply a masterpiece.  It really was popular and is still played in Asia and apparently in South America and i would recommend it to the highest degree.  <br><br>If you want to see KOFXI in action, just youtube the game.<br><br>It’s damn near tragic this game is not on XBLA, PSN, Steam…<br>

This is my favorite KOF game ever, and the one I play the most. Tag feature is incredible, by the way :smiley:

No Mai, fuck that game.

Console version, man :smiley:

Ok, thank god. :S I need to get a copy of it.

Found it tonight for $17 at an other wise over priced game store. Orochi Saga was $30, so was SF Alpha collection. :S I saw GG X2 for $26 :S I got a steal compared to those prices.

Update, I went back to the store. I ended up buying Orochi Saga since they dropped the price to $27, and I really wanted a new game to train with. GG X2 was actually $36…and MVC2 without a booklet was $56. I think I got a good deal by comparison.