KoF13 Tier List Discussion

Bala says he’s around mid. If I made a tier list, I would put kim about tier 2 on “has problems” because he struggles against zoners so bad that its not funny. Talk about playing mario brothers with him sheesh >_>

struggles against zoners… I’ve heard it all now.

Well, did Bala just won the last Power Up with Joe and Leona ?

All characters are good, it’s just some have better fundamentals than others. Bala even said himself that he felt that all characters are really good when Jwong asked him for a tier list.

Tier List from eLive|frionel

Tier list is all over the fucking place and no one can agree on anything. This could be the most balanced fighter of the decade.

However, they all agree to an extent that Leona is the least strongest character. By all means it does not mean she is bad neither. I agree this maybe the most balanced in a bit. SSF4(normal version, not AE or AE2012) was crazy balanced too with 4 characters tying for “top” and there still were plenty 5-5 matchups ranging from mid to the top 4. I think this game is similar to that scenario. Benimaru shits on a lot of characters, but he can get shat on as well.

Actually no, Leona is not weak and she has some very interesting tech that sets her apart. Bala was raping everyone with her. She has some devastating overhead pressure into massive damage and she can zone and bait you to jump at her and nail you with her air super.

*The thing about the “worst character” in kof13 is that no one feels clearly weaker than the rest of the cast since everyone has a few things that are very effective. I think Leona, Mai, Ash, Terry and Chin are commonly perceived as “not as good as the rest of the mid tier characters” which leads them to getting singled out for potential low tier candidacy. Even though I believe there isn’t a big difference between say Leona compared to Athena or Ryo. *

Thats what I mean. She may be considered low, but in this game “low” tier can fuck you because Low isnt really “low” lol. Also, most tiers right now are based on meterless damage. Until an actual matchup tier comes out, I probably wont buy the BS. Because K’ meterless damage out of the corner is not too good neither unless you get ein trigger > f.D, which is usually used in punishes. A simple 2Bx2, ein trigger>f.B is like 142 damage. However, he is considered S probably because of his juggle anywhere properties.

I don’t think anyone would consider him S… In Arcade yes, not console. He received some hardcore nerfs.

But yes, his anywhere juggles allow him to convert good damage of literally every hit he hits, and that automatically makes him more attractive than say Leona, despite having a similarly disappointing meterless damage.

Also, these tier lists really aren’t based on meterless damage. Terry is also ‘not as good’ because his damage WITH meter is extremely disappointing too.

Matchup tierlists have never really dominated KOF games. Matchups, honestly, don’t play as big a role as they do in 3s or sf4. Movesets and setups are a lot more homogenized, and jumps/rolls/guard cancels make it that you can get around stuff you would struggle with in other fighting games in more diverse ways. Against most characters, you can pretty much just run your game with only minor adaptations, and defending against most characters is pretty similar too.

Oversimplification, of course. But the fact is, with 3 positions that actually have influence on the character’s effectiveness, you would, technically also have to take that into account in a matchup overview, making it very hard to handle, and due to said homogeneity just less interesting than it is in other games.

Based on my limited experience with the series, this hasn’t been the case. KOF 98 and 2002 have very dominant top tiers based on matchups, for example.

As an aside, I wish people would stop relying on that MMCafe tier list maker for this game. The presentation is cluttered and confusing, which defeats the purpose of a tier list in the first place: to provide a simple ranking of characters that reflects current understanding of a game.

So I guess at this point and time based on the current knowledge that is out there and being actively used within the game. I guess it is safe to say it’s best to just play who you like and are most comfortable with, everyone is seemingly viable. In my humbled opinion, I think the real test will be is your team strategy and make up viable? All the tier list I’ve seen at this point can be heavily disputed in one way or another. You’ve got to love balance.

I think the only character that’s going to take a lot of adapting and time to win with is Maxima.

I think Ash is the same way. You put in the time and work with him, he’s crazy good, look at Mr. KOF’s Ash. Iirc, he’s been playing ash since like kofxi and it pays off for him bigtime.

I agree, he didn’t feel very natural for me the first time I tried to open him up in training mode. Thus I never picked him again lol. He is interesting though.

I’ve played my fair share of 98 and 2002, and I’ve seen my fair share of tierlists for that game, and never have I ever seen a matchup chart.

In 2002, it didn’t really matter who you were playing, Athena, Billy Choi was a fucking nightmare to play against. You don’t need a matchup chart to know that.

Haha. It reminds me of Hellpockets’ saying ‘Ash, still no one has figured him out!’

I think Maxima can do well if the player using him is blessed with true Yomi Magic because as a Grappler he’s the weakest of all of them in the game. And if you rely on his autoguard you WILL get blown up. Count on it.

So from what I’m seeing here is you put all the characters in the A-SS tiers then you start to rank them and then your tier list is more accurate. O_o?

I really don’t see how that is different than diving the characters in other groups such as B,C or even D tier, the way I see it even if all the characters are in the A-SS tiers but in the lower left side they are low tier (I know call me crazy). Bala and I were working on a new tier list but we are going to start from scratch again to meet this new “only A-SS tiers” requirements.

Anyway as of today I find Frionel’s tier list the most accurate.

Heres the tier list #1 Flame Iori, #2 Leona, #3 Shen then everybody else just because thats my team, LOL

All bs aside though does this game even have S,A,B,C tiers? It reminds me of tekken in a way