KoF noob trying to get into it

I haven’t played a lot of KOFXIII (damn the lack of decent arcades anywhere in my area…) but I played the shit out of KOFXI. Maybe I’m biased, but I found everything about KOFXI easier than SF4 - especially the combo timings. If you enjoy rushdown/mix-up playstyles as much as I do, KOF will likely be your game of choice.

If you are a SF fan primarily, then I’d recommend Garou to ease you into SNK’s groove. After that, go with KOF98, KOF’02UM, or KOFXI.

As for pad vs stick, I wouldn’t say it’s any different from most games. Outside of the arcades, I put all my time in on pads. Even stock PS2 pads worked just fine, thanks to it being a 4-button fighter.

“MY OPINION” is not some kind of intellectual shelter for shitty reasoning.

“X game harder than Y” is pretty much the scrubby forum poster’s mating call. The comparisons between kof and sf have been done to death, and frankly no one here ever needs to (or has the time to) study the question in a quantifiable way. I don’t make it my objective to occupy my free time with the hardest, most intricate task available to me – I play god damn video games! The appeal to the person making the comparison is more likely to be self serving BS or a lame troll at best. This is why you’re getting snippy responses.

PS: no one else cares if you continue to post since you are not contributing anything of value

Unlike you who posts deep and amazing posts about how I am a scrub.

Anyways I believe kof is harder than sf because the timings and links are stricter than sf’s. Also, more options up close and far away means more systems tonlearn, making it harder to learn. This is from my experience.

Laban I respect your view as it comes with a lot of backround, however EmX you are an idiot. Insulting me in every post and then saying that me posting something I believe has no value means you are moron. You need to learn that in the real world people dont always agree with you.

EmX is part of SRK. Stupid Retarded Kids. Im done with this thread. Good luck op

I think Samurai Spirits (not the recent 3d game) would be the easiest SNK fighting game to get used to the controls. While World Heroes is much closer to Street Fighter in gameplay than other SNK fighters.

I have to admit though, in comparison to the past it sounds very odd to read someone playing SF, MK and MvC and leaving SNK behind…

I still don’t think links are integral to KOF play like it is with CVS2, 3s, or SFIV. The most a player will be doing is Kyo’s or Saisyu’s cr.B > cl.C. Otherwise, everything else is really just a cancel or a chain that cancels. Since there is less of an emphasis of links, it’s easier than SF. Then just because there is a bit more to learn, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s harder to pick up. There’s more limitations in SF and it’s easy to understand the concept of spacing, but to set up an opponent with limited means is easier said than done and is quite difficult. Since KOF has a multitude of responses (as in being able to come in from different angles, use a variety of frametraps, and etc.) it’s easier for the player to do what the player wants during the course of the game rather than to stick with a stricter gameplan and play out the match up.

So the difficulty is in discipline and playing against the player, not necessarily the learning of a few new subsystems and spacings. Since links aren’t that important at all even, I don’t see how it reflects the difficulty of learning KOF. And if you need links, they’re usually pretty easy 2-3 frame links. The main ones that are harder to land is Kyo’s cr.B > cl.C and Iori doing the same link but he needs to get a deep meaty cr.B on an opponent’s oki to get the cl.C.

Thanks for understanding my point though. I’m just really, really tired of bad information and false impressions.

Laban is trying is hardest to make KOF appealing to the masses, not a bad thing IMO

Personally I say just wait till KoFXIII if you’re used to SF. It actually reminds me a lot of SF3. 98 and 2002 are also really good but if you’re going competitive just wait but if casual 98,99,2002,XI.

The difficult of KOF series is not the combo execution, wich is indeed fairly easy overall (except for some in '02, wich people don’t even try, due to the risk of droping it and get punished hard).

What makes KOF harder than SF IMO is that KOF is a faster paced game. In SF you have plenty time to react to most things, you have time to think about your options, etc.

In KOF, things happens too fast, one must have fast reflexes and reactions. Another thing is in KOF you have more game mechanics to deal with character’s pressures, block strings etc. That’s why people tend to say that the spacing in KOF is weak. It’s not weak, you just have more game resources compared to SF.

The best example I could give to support my opinions is that many KOF players do well in SF (RF, Kyabetsu, Poongko, Xiaohai, Uryo, Oogosho, Kyapu and others) while the other way around don’t happen too often… So yeah, I think KOF is harder than SF. But that does not mean SF is trash, on the contrary, it’s a very fun game too, it’s just more “average joe oriented” than KOF.

For me, KOF seems more “average joe oriented” than SF on a global scale mainly due to the extended subsystems. Let’s say we have ST where most situations the only real escapes are reversals (easier said than done.) So when an opponent gets stuck in the corner by O.THawk, Chun Li, or Dictator, it’s difficult for most players especially beginners to get out. Similar in 3s with checkmate situations and the demand of the player to be able to perfectly parry everything (easier said than done.)

With KOF in this aspect, it’s very easy (even for beginning players) to just roll, guard cancel roll, or guard cancel blowback. Although bad rolls or bad guard cancel blowbacks could be baited and punished, there are generally more and easier ways of getting out of sticky situations than in previous SF games. The execution demanded from doing revesals in Super Turbo, Alpha Counters in Alpha 2, or Red Parries in Third Strike is much more difficult than confirming a blocked attack and simply pressing C + D.

Lawler, you could argue that KOF is generally a faster game and I respect that and believe that too (except for ST.) So one needs “good reactions” to be able to punish situations and what not. But, the executions needed to answer to those “fast situations” are really simple. If anything, it’s a bit easier to deal with pressure, especially sloppy offense, by just hanging back and simply react to things that require a few button inputs. Let’s say an opponent just keeps on doing sloppy hops, just use something like st.A to anti-air it. It’s not like the player has think about buffering a dragon punch or charging for a flask kick, the player sees a hop and presses a button. Same thing for bad jumps, do cl.C or cr.C on reaction rather than needing to buffer a super or dragon punch. Heavy normals are generally much better in KOF games than they are in SF games that give a lot of leeway and ease to anti-air with without overly relying on special attacks. There’s a reason why they call the “Mexican Uppercut” the “Mexican Uppercut.” It’s a simple anti-air that is a fan favorite of Hispanic players that started on KOF first and still use that simple means of anti-air although it’s not as good in SF(IV) unless they’re playing Boxer or Guile.

So while KOF may demand marginally more in reaction than SF, the execution required to go in hand with those reactions are actually easier. Then there are other factors that go into account such as being able to react to certain hops or bad tick throw mix-ups (and needing to react with alternate guarding) and comparing that to Street Fighter footsies and being able to react to bad crouching normals and being able to confirm a whiff and counter-poking and confirming into something. I wouldn’t say SF footsies are harder than reacting to hops, mix-ups, or certain attack strings or vice versa. But rather, each aspect to both games are really, really comparable and more similar than one may think.

In regards of having more time to think about one’s options during a match, I’d say the amount of timing of holding back and questioning each other’s intents are pretty similar. In 02um or 98umFE, I see tournament players willing to neutral hop, hop backwards, roll backwards, walk backwards, dash backwards and maintaining position before really going all in and balls to the walls. Especially in match ups such as Nameless vs. Nameless or what not I see a lot of testing of approaches before all the “quick reactionary” stuff “has to happen.” I do agree though in games such as SFIV that players have huge amounts of time to actually think about things and cool off. In return, older SF like ST doesn’t necessarily give the player that luxury and the games end as fast or even faster than in KOF (unless it’s a really silly Guile mirror match or something.)

So overall, while I may think that KOF is a tad bit easier to learn than SF, both actually have similar learning curves anyways and it’s almost negligible. I don’t mean to “argue for the sake of arguing” but rather clarify on certain statements and am willing to have friendly debates to clear things up.

Also it’s pretty obvious, I like attention to detail~

It’s a nice post, I think I agree with you in almost everything. We both agree that KOF is faster and thats only for that reason alone I think KOF is harder to play. But this is just my opinion.

It’s cool~

Well since SF is just a bunch of plinking I think KoF is much harder to grasp with the DC and shit.

Because it’s hard to just cancel a special into a special than to soften a 1-frame link by doing a plink.

Sarcasm is sarcasm.

yo kof13 is an awesome game! if you like it, you will learn it, simple as that, doesn’t matter how hard/easy it is. just pick it up, i’d bet you won’t be disappointed

I just think the whole “X game is harder than Y game” in general is pretty dumb. This is one reason why players from different games seem to have this barrier between them. Because people will jump at the bit to puff out their chest and brag about how hard their game is to play. I am not saying that some games aren’t harder than others, but people talk about it for all the wrong reasons. “My game is harder than yours that means I have more skills yo”. Funny thing is, out of people I have met, the better overall fighting game players don’t have this attitude at all. They are more often than not willing to help players get better in any game and don’t really care about this difficulty scale that a lot of the FGC uses for games. The intermediate theory fighters seem to be the ones who really like to drop all this “this game is harder than that” bullshit for the sake of sounding smarter or like a fighting game O.G.

That’s what happens a lot with KOF on SRK. Since it seems like no one else really plays KOF seriously in general, a few intermediate players like to toss out that “they play KOF and it’s harder than SF” like it means anything. Then not only are they saying that for their own selfishness, they’re perpetuating something that can’t truly be proven let alone hold any weight. All while getting less experienced players to think that it actually is hard to learn and just not even bother learning the game. Although it’s a bit petty, I’ll actually argue against these kinds of people just to get them to shut up about it.

I’ve never really seriously played a KOF game before, just the Vs games, and I don’t think they are very helpful as in teaching me the game.
Unfortunately I can’t play at the Arcade’s so my first change to play will be when the game drops.

I already know I’ll main Mai no matter what, but my question is what are easy characters to pick up and play?
Also, as a KOF beginner what are the first and most important things I need to learn, gameplay wise?

^watch these

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Mai_Shiranui_(KoF_'98)
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Mai_Shiranui_(Real_Bout_2-Era)(KoF’98)

These should help out learning Mai. I made the Real Bout 2-Era guide from scratch and both versions of Mai are relatively similar. So if there are a few normals that are missing or not as in-depth in the regular Mai guide, then checking out the O.Mai guide could help out.

The links Feez posted are to DandyJ’s Beginner’s Guide to KOF. I personally used these to get my fundamental game down for KOF and really helped me out to where I am as a player now. That and reading Maj’s Footsie Guide on Sonichurricane.com.

In regards to other characters to pick up, I’d say that learning Iori and a grappling character are pretty essential as a beginner. In KOF98, Iori is a top tier character that has all the tools to rushdown and to turtle and mix-up with command throws. Although he’s really good, he’s really designed in a way that he’s not linear to play as and is a great addition to a team while trying to learn basics. The grappler okizeme game is different in KOF than it is in most fighting games as the player could either do a command throw on wake up, or meaty an opponent to keep him on the ground and still be able to combo into a command throw anyways. So there are these funky 50/50 situations that happen and it’s good to get familiar with these situations as a beginner.

So for a game such as KOF98, a good team for you would be Iori/Mai/Ralf. In 02, perhaps Iori/Mai/Clark. If you want to get a head start, you could play on GGPO and play with others. Personally, I had a 2 year head start by playing in 98 room 1. It’s like I was a little baby that was thrown into the lions’ den.