KOF 98UM Final Edition?

Where’d you get this list from? It totally doesn’t match what I see in Japanese match videos (tournaments especially). I don’t understand why Takuma or Daimon are so high up, or how Eiji and Ex Yuri are so low.

Also the modes being used really change the tiers of some characters. From what I see, Kim with walk and ex mode meter is comparable, tierwise, to Krauser (or pretty close).

98UM is a lot more diverse (minus Krauser). Game is more balanced than 98.

In the end no matter what we think KOF98UM was a flop in the arcades so Final Edition is coming

Not only that, but it groups normal and EX versions of characters that don’t even make sense.
I’ve almost never seen regular King compared to EX King which is on a lot of teams, but this tier list puts them together.

i saw king after ex king newness wore off

Heavy D E tier, Eiji C tier

Now SERIOUSLY?

98 UM tier list is really retarded, lots of times eiji is my best character to beat some krausers, and lots of times I had seen E tier players beating krauser, he is not that invencible

98 and 98 um are both very balanced games, but in UM lots of characters had more options than in OG

UM made Extra mode useful, which instantly makes it worse than OG 98.

I don’t understand.

I can get the orange, but i don’t know how to extract the juice, you know what I mean :wgrin:, if someone point me in the right direction we can do this together.

Get the juice, talk with GGPO/request (I don’t know how it works), pay a donation to GGPO (like the same $$ for download in XBLA or wathever in order to give a big THANKS to them) and then everyone play happy 98UM; sounds fun to me and a good investment.

I’ll just wait for an answer, maybe redirect me to another site/forum. Also, what it means FBA?

Have you tried the Guru at the Rom Dump? Dependable dude. I’d gladly donate to get this on GGPO/Supercade. Though they might not upload it due to fear of reprisal from SNKP, but we could still kailllera this bitch.

Also FBA means Fina Burn Alpha, the emulator used by GGPO/Supercade/Arclive.

It looks like we’ll have to wait. There’s some restrictions from FBA using less than 3 years old roms. Also I have mixed reviews from the Rom Dump guy (plus ship the thing to AUS and wait if he’s capable to do it; just read PGM1 is not fully emulated right now. I thought this was an easy process, like I can do it at home (PC + cables):sad:.

Looks like the best option right now is to “inform” SNK (same method as 02um) about XBLA 98UM netcode.

Sigh…smdh…I gotta agree with Emil on this one guys, why do you guys judge too damn much on tier lists? Seriously? Geez I hate to sound pessimistic but does anything change around here? Obsessing over tier lists and stuff like that are for people that don’t play the game that much…bottom line is play the game more people and stop obsessing over let’s see…JAPANESE/ASIAN TIER LISTS. Tiers are different for different countries, when will the USA ever get this concept? Or will they ever get this concept? There is no ONE “RIGHT” Tier List!! Different countries have different styles, favor different characters, thus there will be different tier lists!

Play more, jockride tier lists LESS.

Juarez, Mexico Tier list for 98UM looks different, looks like this:

S Class:
Krauser, Iori, Geese/EX, EX Mary, Orochi Chris, Orochi Yashiro, Eiji, Kyo,Yuri/EX, EX King

A Class:

Daimon, Mr. Big, Heavy D, Robert, EX Ryo, Chizuru, EX Robert

Again I think the problem is you guys aren’t playing that much or aren’t playing very, very skilled players in this game. Because if you were, you wouldn’t care about a Japanese Tier List, you would understand Tier Lists are different depending on where you are…you would grasp that concept thoroughly…

-DG

and sorry dude, I have to disagree this time with you on this one,I mean tier lists (in its vast majority) are made for a reason. top tiers are top tiers for those reasons, and will still be top tiers, in any part of the world, sure there are going to be good players , talented, skilled players, in different countries ,wining using either mid tiers or low tiers, but that doesn’t mean they are top-god tiers just because of that. Usually the disagreements come in the middle and the bottom parts of those lists but not at the top.
Also about the list you put there, amm…you also included, Krauser, Geese, Iori…that makes my point, and besides, In juarez they don’t actually play that game that much, so any list will be just personal preferences for a character and not much of a tier list.

and about this thread, imo OG98 was more unbalanced than 98um, OG daimon and iori are just more unbalanced than any of the 2 bastard half brothers in um… also I don’t see why they do have to came with this revised editions everytime, I mean to be fair they should make revised editions for all other kofs that have S.O.B’s owning the ass of other characters, I as a player I feel that whenever or wherever I want to play a kof it should be the same kof no matter the console or place I am playing it at, about the people tier whoring, don’t bother, just relax, and tagg the person as a pussy and a no skill player, that ussses or abuses them, or just enjoy when u kick their ass using low tiers, or even if you lose feel satisfied knowing that u were different using them

^ That’s not what he’s saying. He’s saying that westerners treat Japanese opinions like the bible, and that there would be different lists for different countries. He is not disputing the overall concept of a tier list, just our tendency to think that Japanese opinion is always right.

No, then u didn’tget what I was saying as well … I wasn’t saying he is wrong about what a tier lis t is overall, what I was saying is that tiers are tiers for a reason, a reason that won’t change no matter if you are in Japan, Latvia or Kiribati, sure there would be a few changes in 1 cathegories, s tier to a tier or so, but krauser would remain in that place or gato in xi.

The tier list for 98 has to do with the options the characters have for specific situations. For instance Iori and Kyo have a great standing close C that arcs upward, or they can mix up more easily than other characters. Any character can be good in 98, they just don’t have as many options, so it takes more to be skilled with them.

This is why the Japanese tier list is solid to me.

agree it has to do with all of that along wth other things as well

Yeah Nitro that is what I am saying, Westerners treat the Japanese Tier List like it’s Gods Word, which is not how it should be at all. Also they are playing 98UM in Juarez more than you think…not as much as 2002 obviously, and not even 2002 UM, but more than you think trust me on that!

Now give or take you are always gonna find a certain amount of players like Krauser, Iori, Geese that are staple on most tier lists, but there are gonna be variations on tier lists because there are different styles.

For example, in Juarez Angel is Top Tier in 2002 UM, but in Japan they have her damn near bottom tier, how do you explain that? Location differences…

well, yeah that’s the point, that even in places where the “Japanese” list is debated, u find krauser , geese, etc, and any other tier on other kofs, so even though some people don’t like it they(asians) are right at least on that. Of course some variations occur . now regarding on your question of how do I explain that, well imo that happens in Juarez, because certain players are or were at a moment new to the 2002 UM game, so their obvious choice was to play with the characters they knew or played well with in OG2002,ignoring what changes that character suffered, and it’s ok they remained playing great with that Angel, even though she isn’t top, so ok good for them :slight_smile: but that doesn’t make her top imo, and tons of examples can be named in this matter.

But I say the Juarez players know Angel much better than these Asian players due to the Mexican style revolving around Angel. In Japan etc you have Angels but not as many as you do in Mexico, thus the Mexican players bring out the full potential of Angel that was otherwise not brought out by these Asian players. For example if you play vs. Zeus or Kula’s Angel, you will see Angel played at damn near her full potential (certainly Kulas), and it is then that you will realize that she is Top Tier…

And you can see Kula’s Angel dismantling Ivan who is a seasoned player in 2002 UM, not new to the game at all which further showed me that in her full potential Angel is top tier…also those that saw that in Juarez agree with me as well…it’s the same stuff around the time Duo Lon Leader sprung up in Juarez, I recall having these types of debates with people, and then the more they saw of Duo Lon Leader, the more they became convinced…

Plus as I said on Dream Cancel, Angel doesn’t have any bad matchups, another sign of someone that is Top Tier, matchup problems. Angel doesn’t have any…not Kasumi, Nameless, K’, King, any of those, she can compete head to head with any of the top tier…

Now since Hummer now plays 2002 UM, I would love to see Hummer vs. Zeus and Kula in 2002 UM, I believe certainly these matches will show the power of Angel…

Even in this match here (older one you were there you left earlier) you can see the power of Angel in 2002 UM:
[media=youtube]NBgFtqECZk0[/media]

But better not to talk about Angel in this thread since she is for what we know NOT in 98 Final Edition lol. (What a surprise that would be!!! LOL)