Known Counters for Morrigan/Doom aka the ChrisG?

Strange can do really well against this. Blow the assist up the first time you call it, and he can remind the world that he has a projectile counter.

His projectile super happens too slow. By the time Soul Fist reaches him Morrigan is already on the ground. Against a non-AV Morrigan I can see a good SoV during a Doom call scaring Morrigan though.

Countering this is pretty straightforward. You have 2 choices. Blow up doom or snipe morrigan.
It sounds simple but it’s a bit more complicated since both characters cover each other well.

The easiest counter to this is a beam super on doom. If morrigan is blocking, doom takes both unscaled AND assist damage. With 2 meters and XFactor or a DHC, you can get rid of the problem just like that, and the team crumbles from there. Many characters can do this. Trish, Dormammu, Ryu, Akuma,Strange etc.

Second best counter is a combination of two things the team doesn’t like. Something with enough durability to blow through Soul Fists and hit doom combined with an anti air assist(Jam/Strider). Notable combinations here include Zero/Strider, Zero/Dante, Viper/Strider. Hidden missiles also works pretty well against morrigan if you can cover your assist and blow up the opposing doctor doom.

Other tactics that work but aren’t as good include characters with tracking teleports. If they have an assist to help clear the screen as well as blow up doom, you can teleport safely and try to put some pressure on her air.
Getting the first hit at the start of round is a good strategy, but after Chris G lost to Mihe, he started keeping morrigan in the back to avoid that type of shit, so you gotta understand that won’t always get you the V

Finally, certain characters with meter just shut the trap down completely like Vergil and Strange. Dormammu also has a very good matchup against lame morrigan. Pillar to blow up doom into Stalking flare means either doom is taking a lot of hurt or morrigan is getting mixed the fuck up

Right, forgot to mention but basically she’s unsafe behind her (and it also messes with unflies) so teleports with dante/dorm/vergil on reaction can give her problems. Zero is pretty free against morrigan. Viper can also seismo spam and keep nailing doom assist and morrigan has no real answer to it unless she gets over it.

also forgot to mention, but modok too. He can fly at an annoying angle for her, and his beam beats soulfist.

Bleh, Dorm. If Dorm lands a pillar on Doom, he can keep going and going. Hate that guy.

What bugs me about Chris putting her in the back to avoid the start of round shit is that Morrigan is much better at avoiding that shit than most, and bringing her in later allows the opponent to build up the meter for option 1 here. You’re very much correct about Dorm’s effectiveness here as well, but that can quickly swing into Morrigan’s favor if they’re both the respective starting characters.

Yeah I like Morrigan 1st as the size of her hurtbox + her mobility makes her really good at avoiding beginning of the round bullshit.

Other than that I like her 2nd on certain teams. Any character with really good mobility and can do well without assists can just spam meter build assist and if they get a hit theyll probably build a bar or two. Then you can just keep playing that character until they die and get Morrigan coming in with like 3+ bars. Or you can just safe DHC into her. Zero/Morrigan/Strider is a good team for this.

I really dont like her 3rd.Shes not a bad anchor, but her assists dont justify her being there.

Lol no. I am not acting tough. You claimed I haven’t spent more than 5 minutes playing Viper. I don’t care if I win or lose. I just wanted to show you how stupid of an assumption that was. Thats all anyone around here seems to do. Assume

Really? The second Optic Blast doesn’t have charge time? So… you can fire the second Optic Blast right after the first. Hmmm news to me. I don’t care if its charge time or recovery from the first Optic Blast. Fact of the matter is even when blocking it I could fire off 2 Soul Fists by the time she fires another Optic Blast with the second SF hitting her, allowing for a full combo if you react fast enough. If you duck the first Optic Blast the Soul Fist hits before she can even release the second one

Morrigan’s not hard to rushdown when playing keepaway? So tell me how Viper is supposed to knock Morrigan out the air without assists again.

The key to stopping this play is shutting it down before it starts.

To begin with you have to call in Doom and do Astral Vision - that timeframe is enough to mess it up for a lot of characters, and plenty of others can shut it down before it starts in the start of round. Most people will do that, because any team with a lot of meter will shut it down and punish/kill Doom as well. Beam supers are an obvious example, but there are others.

Hawkeye’s mystic bolts, for example, will prevent you getting anything out. An opponent with Morrigan on point and Doom assist is relatively predictable - she isn’t going to start it right next to you, so when she’s far away you can randomly teleport in with teleport characters and mess it up.

Dr. Strange with meter can reset it with projectile counter - whether she blocks or not, he can then do teleport mixups with an assist to stop it getting started again.

Sentinel’s Hard Drive isn’t likely to hit, but gets you to the other side of the screen for DHC or pressure. Nova’s energy javelins are by no means bad either if you can interrupt Doom with one of them.

Using meter to stop this strategy from starting, even if only temporarily, is normally worth it. Doom has only so much health to risk on missile assists, so keeping the pressure on and hyper punishment is relatively effective.

C.Viper can’t shut down morrigan, even if optic blast destroys the ones coming in front, there are others behind her and above her, meaning he will be hit with them or forced to block, i think the best characters are Strider,Vergil,Dormammu,Storm and Dante; there are really very few characters than can counter this, hyper beams are useless since you will get hit in the startup or you will get hit from behind, also morrigan is almost safe all the time, and you need to watch for doom missiles, i think Sentinel can TK’d Hard Drive and hit them, Dante can do the same with Vortex.

The best character imo to counter this is Storm because of '‘Ice Freeze’ or ‘‘Elemental Rage’’ who are long enough to make all thefireballs and missiles disappear.

those mindgames are rough

Be a better player/be psychic.

you may want to watch out for nemesis dp HC. It allows the opponent to close the gap, and sure when you see nemesis use his dp hc you ussually grab him, just be careful if you opponent has a character to dhc to.

Dormammu mostly. I think Viper seismo spam is good vs morrigan spam with missles. There are fast supers but you would need 2 supers and xfactor to really punish doom and morrigan can unfly instantly to block. Characters who can fly to dodge mostly everything and some teleporters like wesker but they gotta be on point. I think maybe MODOK cause he flies all day only thing that would hit you is missles.

I am a noob who doesn’t play this game but I’ve been following ChrisG’s clips for a full year now. I think Strider assist, a very good timing Captain America (charging star) and even Super Skrull can give Morrigan trouble.

One of the worst matches I’ve seen is ChrisG VS Joker in Canada. ChrisG did not know how to block Joker’s Ironman setup in the corner… I do think Ironman can be good against Morrigan. Ironman’s anti-air beams cover front and back?

I just rarely see a very good Captain America and only some Super Skrull… I think both of them can counter Morrigan.

Can Hsien-Ko’s Gong bounce both soul fists effectively?