Killer Instinct XB1: Season 2 hits October 15th. 20 dollars for Combo, 40 dollars for Ultra

Yes, but these things happen in high levels on all fighting games, however the do the the bluff mechanic to bait people into breaking your combo,you counter it and continue your combo. So even at high level play you’ll have that to back you up should you choose to use auto doubles. It’ll still be better to use manuals though.

The mind games that will come from this will be absolutely beautiful. Watch people purposely drop links, or do very easy auto doubles, bait the breaker and then do a nasty punish.

I can see though that at a low level, this game might turn into combo breaker the game after watching some of the EVO footage.

This an speaks the truth! http://www.twitch.tv/madcatz/b/432597671

Didn’t Mike Z go on record saying he disagreed with a lot of what they were doing?

Also, the game looks awesome to play but the visual style is just not KI. Jago looks like some brooding emo dude and now Saberwulf is a druggie? What the hell?

Isn’t KI (as the British say) taking the piss? What’s with all this serious plotline stuff?

Thinking about the bluffs and combo breakers this give is gonna boil down to strait up mind games once people can read the hits your doing in a combo. That may happen in a month or less once the game is released, i can see that being kinda frustrating. The only way your gonna be able to do combos is bluffing your opponent or them messing up their breaker. For example, Glaciuses ranged auto doublse are extremely easy to read - depending on the strength the ice spikes hit toward,away or strait up. When people catch on to that that combo will be broken after 2 hits if not bluffed or if not for the fear of a bluff. Im starting to think you should have a little time to get into your combo before you need to start worrying about being broken maybe like 5 hits or right after your first linker before the opponent has access to breakers… But then the game may just devolve back into what KI1 and 2 because show fast combos, but in this you wouldn’t get much damage. If you want more damage ( much more damage) then go into that breaker/bluff/lock out mind game after those 5 hits.

The bluff system is an improvement on the KI engine but think the breakers and bluff may end up needing some kind of small limit.

It says E3 but its clearly not E3…

Awesome matches! Max is really learning fast! Seems like there’s a bit of a guessing game now that people are figuring out how to counter breakers. Very interesting…

Other games already have this thing in the form of doing a combo->ending with a knockdown into oki. Only that it’s deeper than the “which button am I going to press” RPS thing.

One thing I know for sure is that if they break wrong, getting guaranteed damage in return isn’t enough. The guaranteed part should be getting a HUGE buff in damage too.

These aren’t the same things. Other games its what am i gonna do after my combo, what im talking about it what i can i do get the most damage in this combo. After that the positioning aspect is just like other games.

I am afraid of that happening, where it gets to the point where offense is simply not worth setting up because combos are easy to read and even if there are mind games, turtling might be a better strategy.

I’ve never played the old KI’s but from what I hear, the game was very slow at a high level because of how unbalanced the risk/reward of going in somebody was.

I trust Double Helix to make this game as offensive as possible, since they apparently don’t like turtling and love 3.

I concur so HARD. I was turned off HARD by Jago. He reeks of ‘trying to make a 90s character look hardcore’. But on that same tangent, I REALLY like the way they made Glacius look…it’s not like OG Glacius that I used to draw as a kid heh - but it works on multiple levels…I was honestly on ‘pass’ mode until I saw Glacius…now they have my attention.

Any word on unbreakable combos?

Anyone complaining about RPS…its no different than UMvC3 (shrug). I’d prefer to have a system where scrubs and newbs are ‘rewarded’ with flashy combos (to keep interest) that those with practice can shut down, but as you move up the skill ladder, you gain ‘access’/‘can perform’ combos that net better guaranteed damage/setups/mix-ups. So if ‘link’ combos are harder to break, then there are also unbreakable combos, that takes it beyond RPS. Mix in bluffing…and I look at say Glacius who has ranged combos, and I wonder if that makes him stronger, you have to cover distance in those 30 frames or so that he bluffs. I just see the depth possibilities on a character by character basis.

The most important thing for them to not screw up is Fulgore. If they mess up his design…if he’s more Jago than Glacius…eh…

Oh is there a release time frame yet? Is it really a ‘launch’ and will MadCatz have a stick at launch?

• :bluu:

@CaptainGinyu, yeah I love my Ibuki. I love how she played like a Marvel character in a SF game with big emphasis on chains and jump cancelling stuff. 3rd Strike Ibuki will always be my favorite. She became too stiff and gimmicky in SFIV.

I think ill be looking at picking Glacius in this game since Marvel 3 gave me new respect for zoning style characters like Viper and Morrigan. He’s like a mix of Viper, Dhalsim and GG Eddie. Plus he just looks awesome and straight out of some sci fi movie. The armor concept attached to a zoning character is straight out of Marvel 3 Viper also.

@purbeast, I think some people just figured he would be a grappler since they already introduced balanced type (jago), rushdown (sabrewulf), zoning (glacius) and next in line would be a grappler.

True, but there’s people who don’t agree with the way MikeZ made his own game. Some people complain about the invincible assists and how every part of a combo the opponent hits you with can turn into an unreactable cross up or low/throw. Yet its still very much praised and got a decent turnout @ Evo for a side game.

There wasn’t any reason to have to like the way Jago looked before since he didn’t look like he was from Tibet other than his darkened skin color. He actually wears attire and uses a sword that’s reminiscent of someone from Indochina. Sabrewulf looks more maniacal, but he’s a werewolf so not like there’s a ton of ways to really mix that up.

Killer Instinct had a comic book series so the storyline is taken rather seriously.

-Mike Z said that a month ago. Maybe the new mechanics make him happier?
-KI had a dark story. Especially Sabrewulf.
-There are no unbreakable combos. Everything can be broken.
-KI is a launch title

Does the new Glacius remind anyone else of Chaos 0 from Sonic Adventure?

I dunno about Thunder being a grappler. It will be different this time around, but that’s never been a cornerstone style in this franchise. You had mid range characters, rush down character,rush down harder characters, and a ‘broken’ character. My assumption is Thunder will be close to his original style, balanced around specials (IMO, I’m not pro-KI). Projectiles, anti-air-DP, and hurricane…err ‘tomahawk’ all with high priority to cover for his ‘meh’ normals, he’ll be a measured rush-down.
shrug
But I never liked him…in the slightest. Need moar Fulgore & Riptor. I’d applaud Eyedol returning. I don’t care for Orchid to return, but the cast needs a female.

• :bluu:

Right, I’m not saying he’s perfect just that you listed him as a guy on the team but it seems like they’re barely listening to him.

No one in India looks like Dhalsim, no one in China looks like Chun-Li. No one on earth looks like Blanka. I could go all day. No one cares if he looked like he was from Tibet.

Street Fighter has a comic book series and god knows how many animated movies and manga. No one cares about the story. Rare was so obviously taking the piss (now I just like the saying) when they made KI.

Nah, there are.

Anyway I dunno why people are so sad about Jago’s design like the old one was some godlike stuff. The dude literally looked like a generic ninja, with breast high skintight shirt and trousers that was ripped everywhere. Couldn’t get anymore 90s than that if you tried. He looks a bit more authentic now.

I disagree that “no one” cares about the story, if they didn’t then every other company in the world wouldn’t bother adding any type of story elements and just make a fighter. Story helps flesh out the characters and give them identity. Whatever you liked about any of the characters, was influenced by the story.

I like the way this game is going with the system mechanics. Looks like it’ll keep you on your toes constantly, while offering great mind games.

You say it like it’s a good thing…

But you see my point though.

It’s just so stylish, set a tone of cheesy awesomeness. The new one seems like it’d work on an original character on in a new series but it just seems off in KI.

I like and care about the story to a degree in most every fighting game it is interesting but it could be cheesy and cool. There’s just no cheese now. Same problem the new MK had. None of the old game’s charm unless you got a babality or whatever in vs mode.

System looks good but unfinished. Can’t wait to see that.

Jago’s cheesy look never did anything for me. The only character designs I generally liked were Orchid’s, Fulgore’s and Kim Wu’s. Orchid since she was like an asian with a black girl’s body, Fulgore cuz robots and Kim Wu since I like nunchuck characters and she was a girl. I’m pretty set on Glacius, but ill have to play some Kim Wu on the side also.

I do hope they change Chief Thunder’s combat pants, I mean if you’re not Guile, Ralf or Clark, they just look forced and uncreative now in terms of character design imo.

I agree with the story piece. The whole " mindset that no one plays FG’s for the story" is a competitve player’s mindset generally. I have seen and heard many people who only played Blazblue, MK and Injustice for the story. Story helps the characters seem human and give them personality. I mean if anything, its a cool mode that helps justify paying $60.

SF has been doing better with making more 3D characters (I love the ST fighters but many of them are pretty dull when compared to the Alpha or 3S characters imo) where as Tekken if you ain’t a Mishima or Lili or Asuka or King you don’t exist.