Keyboards and EVO

Hey just wondering what would be the best entry for a keyboard user in a PS4 Tournament like EVO . (My friend has tried stick and wont be switching to hitbox or controller either so keep it out of the discussion)
If he were to choose between a Brook Sniper (has macro) and a Max Shooter One (no macro if i am not mistaken) which one do you think has a better chance?
What are the rules on Brook Sniper’s in EVO? If i am not mistaken brook converters are allowed, but it is very vague for brook sniper.
And the maxshooter one is a cheap 3rd party alternative, the problem with it is that i am worried about the maxshooter one input delay. A friend of mine has tested the brook sniper on keyboard and said that the brook sniper feels not much different from a normal brook PCB.

I don’t think you’re allowed macros on keyboards, but I could be wrong. I know keyboards are allowed, though. I think three EVOs ago some guy played SF4 with a keyboard and did surprisingly well.

You might need @MrWizard to clarify as he’s usually the final word on this stuff.

Well he dosent need the macro key feature. He just needs to be able to play with a keyboard on a ps4. I was just curious whether a non macro converter has a higher chance than one that has it. Anyway, what would be the best way to get in contact with @MrWizard regarding this matter?

Twitter. Either him or the official EVO Twitter account.

I suggest something with low throw + quick activation. I don’t like with keyboards, but have owned a ton of them.

I finally rested on the Corsair rapid fire (whatever size 65 or 75) with dual 70A o rings. Super light press, quick travel, and no over travel. You can find the o rings on amazon.

MIght want to confirm it works, but the corsairs have tip switches on the front to make the key board work with BIOS and other things if you have issues.

Should be fine.

Haha.

Do we have to eat to be able to poo… Asking for a friend.

I’m also interested in playing with a keyboard, but modding one myself is intimidatingly complicated, and paying someone else to mod the keyboard is even more expensive. So I’m interested in converters too.

@NGY4M did you ever figure out if the Brook Sniper would be allowed? Or does @MrWizard ever read these forums?

Over a week ago, I found @MrWizard (aka @MrWiz) and @EVO on Twitter to ask about the Brook Sniper, and I also tried asking on the EVO Contact Us page, but haven’t gotten an answer. Every keyboard-to-console-gamepad adapter I know of, including the Brook Sniper, can do all kinds of macros and stuff, though, so it seems unlikely to ever be tournament legal. Which is unfortunate, because I can’t think of any other readily available way of playing with a keyboard at all. :slightly_frowning_face:

Maybe I should be looking at a Hit Box or Mixbox controller instead.

Unfortunately any kind of converters that allow macros are banned from tournament play.

Your best bet is to look into using a hitbox.

What if macros are not set on keyboards? Can that be allowed then? I’ve been playing on a keyboard for 9 years now. Going back to a fight stick makes me look like a beginner

@MrWizard Or what about the XIM Apex keyboard-to-console adapter? I don’t see any mention of macros or shortcuts or whatever on the official product web page. Could we get a ruling on this keyboard adapter?

http://store.xim.tech/XIM-APEX_p_18.html

The keyboard settings for the PS4 will help you to play awesome games. You may sometimes face chrome keeps crashing which can be easily fixed.

I’ve never seen a PS4 game that works with keyboard. Certainly keyboard doesn’t work for Dragon Ball FighterZ. Also that link you provided was about Chrome crashing in Windows, which has nothing to do with PlayStation…

ST on keyboard is good

As far as I can tell from watching their brief instruction videos, the most elaborate XIM Apex configuration options are for adjusting mouse aiming. I could see why they might get banned at shooter tournaments. But of course fighting games don’t have any aim like this, and I’d only be using a keyboard. I don’t think, even with a XIM, that a keyboard could do anything that a gamepad or arcade controller can’t.